Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tales of the Rat Fink

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old Roadster, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

Last night I was surfing the tv and on the sundance channel this title pops out at me Tales of the Rat Fink, so I watched it. Some of the best clips were the cars from thr fifties' roadsters with bias tires and flatheads engines, the rest was about the influence that rat fink had on the hot rod scene and the cars he made, and the models that were produced and also the skate boards. Whats bad Is I remembered most of that. Anybody else see this movie about Rat Fink and what did you think?????????

2. i have seen it several times , i like it ..

3. bje31

bje31
    from Western PA

I got the DVD for Christmas...great present...

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm a big Roth fan but the movie sucked. I did find the old film footage interesting.

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I haven't seen that, but would like to. Roth was a nut. My dad was friends with him, and he would come hang around our shop on occassion. I've got some funny stories of my own just from being around him occassionaly. Something funny about Roth is his house.... the last house he lived in was in Manti, Utah. Very small town, really quiet, older homes. You drive up his street and the houses are all '50's looking homes, very simple and small. Then here's this bright pink monstrosity with a giant Rat Fink statue on the front porch. Hilarious. Last time I was there he was working on another fiberglass bubble top in the garage. I wonder what happend to that car? That was probably 10 years ago at least.

big mac

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

I got it on DVD, and was disappointed. I don't need the cars talking to me, and it seemed like they got the timelines and references wrong.
    It does have some good stuff and a fan boy needs to have a copy.

7. I thought the whole think was really goofy.
    Roth prancing around with the wand sprinkling pixi dust on cars is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen.

BIG DISSAPOINTMENT for hot rodders probably a huge success as a foo foo art movie.

8. That was probably the "Stelth 2000" show car. :confused: Anyhow, I think that's right. Chrysler nixed the "Stealth" part of the original name, so he changed it. I was at his little shop in Manti (not by the house) while he was 'glassing the body together. I was there to interview him for an article I wrote for Thunder Press Magazine, and I rode my V6 trike over there from Vernal, where I was living. He was a great host, showed me some stuff he was working on, some old trike body molds he wanted to sell, and how he built the 'glass bodies. I had a blast. :D We got on my trike, along with his wife, and went to a local burger joint for lunch. I learned a lot about Ed that day, and it's a really fond memory of mine. I haven't seen the movie, but would like to, just to see the old footage.

9. bigolds

bigolds

Like some others here, I have mixed emotions about it. I own it and have watched it several times. I don't care for the odd animation and the talking cars. I think I would have prefered a decent documentary, without the gimmicks.They made the flick kind of cheesey!!!!

10. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

I'm gonna have to get with the times...I STILL haven't seen this....

11. eightbanger

eightbanger

I got it for Christmas also,...I dig any hotrod shows.

12. Rolo

Rolo
    Alliance Vendor

Agreed. Watching it right now, and the olld footage/pictures are GREAT, but the talking cars are sorta killing it for me!

13. I've told my connection to Ed Roth many times. I watched it today twice,cause I hadn't seen it before. It was cool,but would have been better if it was just narrated and not animated,with the "talking car" thing. The old pic's and footage was cool. I was at the Ratfink Reunion in 2000,and was gonna bring my Roth German helmut and have him sign it,but forgot it. I figured I would just bring it next year...then he passed away! FUCK! Oh well,that's life...

14. jen_kenne

jen_kenne
    from Paradise

It's an okay - but not great - flic. All things considered, a nice eulogy to Roth.

15. I saw this this weekend and I think they stretched a lot of truth. The raw footage from shows and with roth in it were ok, the rest was fancy illustrator fluff.

16. Chad s

Chad s

Cheezy, a waste of $20. Thats my opinion. I gave my DVD to a friend, he can have it. The Roth book by Pat Gahnal is MUCH better.

17. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

I'll have to give the book a look........The pixie dust and talking cars was a waste.....

18. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Seen movie on DVD and I gotta say that animated, talking cars made it more like something you usually see on Disney Channel...
    Old footage (black/white) is mostly something most of us have seen on YouTube; there was some clips from fifties educational films. Ofcourse it was nice to see Roth working at last Rat Fink Reunion.

Just a little O/T; How many guys do you know with Rat Fink tattooed on their skin, bet that is more than just one?

19. Gator

Gator

Guilty here, and right off the top of my head I can think of 3 other friends with 'Fink Ink'

20. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I received a copy last Christmas, I like it. I really like the footage of Von Dutch and the other stripers in the extras section. How cool is that?!?

21. The old pics moving was the only cool part... They should have let Johnny Ace do the drawing!

Anyone on here friends with the Sadies? They did the soundtrack...great guys. I'm looking to talk to Travis, the number he gave me is now out of order. Thanks for any help...

22. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

Have to agree with most everyone on this one....it sucked....definitely not one for the must have list

23. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

Yeah I saw it,with all the past footage we have of Roth they could've made a better movie,watched it once,and recorded some of the clips from it.

Moriarity likes this.
  24. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

It seems that some things are universal from Tennessee to Finland, Rat Fink is sweating on my skin also!
    Seen also Coop's Devil Head -logo quite often as tattooed version.

25. I saw it a while back. It was neat to see the old black and white photos and hear the stories, but the cheezy cartoons and cars talking I could've done without.

26. wak53

wak53
    from aus

I like it and the extras with dutch striping and lettering was worth it.

27. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I saw the movie at the GREASARAMA in KC in 2006, thought is was cool to see on the big drive-in screen but it was a little cheasy! I will maybe buy it when it hits the $5 rack at wayy world!

28. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

That was supposed to be Wally World!