Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Regs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huffreport, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Refinishing your sentence:
    ... I'll just slip my personal comments in then say you can't talk about it.

Peace :D,
    Kurt

2. I don't think it was lead cattle that was the concern.

http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/courses/geog100/Lead-Science.htm

You have the right to pollute your own lungs.

Ha Ha Happy Holidays!
    Kurt

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's a bad attitude if you're on a well. And you should say that it's clean for now.

As for the strip mining comments, well I've seen different...

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can see it now two illegal aliens smoking crack painting a John Deere in a field in Kansas busted by the EPA.

5. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Dude, I'm drinking water from a deep well right now. Guess what? We test the water every few years, 'cause that's common sense. I don't need the EPA to tell me I ought to check and see if my drinking water is poisoned.

Where have you seen strip mines abandoned and left unreclaimed since 1972? I've been to mines all over, both working and reclaimed. Once the thing has been worked out and reclaimed, you'd never know anyone had been there. It's not propaganda, it's federal law, and has been for 30 yrs. Anything you see that has been left wide open and running yellow boy is a leftover from the bad old days. But see, that's the deal, the bad old days are over. You can't continue to brow beat the guys currently doing everything right for practices that just aren't used anymore.

The problem with the big open sores that are left is that the people and companies responsible for said messes are long dead and gone. No one is left to be held accountable, so they sit and fester. You can't mandate that new mining companies clean up the messes left behind by old unrelated ones, any more than you can make a body man fix a bad dent repair done by someone else 25 yrs ago for free. However, the BLM does take royalties and taxes from the mining operations and set a certain portion aside for the Feds to use to reclaim abandoned mine sites with. Eventually they will be cleaned up, it just takes time.

That said, more and more, mining companies are going back to these old wounds and finding that there is still material left to extract, so they move to reopen those mines. In the process, they put up the bonds to cover cleanup of the entire site. If they run the numbers and find they can still make a profit even though they have to clean up someone else's mess, they will.

Things change, laws change, and problems change. When you fix an issue, it's time to move on to a new one.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm drinking from a deep well as well... but I don't do anything with heavy metals or bad chemicals to put that at risk. I dispose of things correctly and respect the land and hope my neighbors do as well....

As for the mines, there are a few up near the NC/TN/VA borders that are left open, they aren't being actively worked, but they're not closed either, just enough to leave them open. Looks like ass....Corporate America seems to always have a loophole.

7. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

If spray guns are outlawed only outlaws will have them!
    Have Binks will travel!

I guess I'll be doing some real nice rustolum jobs, LOL
    FRITZ

8. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, the eastern US has some mining scars that are going to take a while to fix. But those mines have been closed for 50 yrs, that's how they got away with it. The folks that made the mess are long dead and gone, as are their companies. It's not so much that they exploited a loophole so much as they just outran the creation of the new laws. If the company was still around and trying to do business, they'd be held accountable. The BLM won't issue new permits for other sites until outstanding reclamation work is completed, that's federal law.

There are scars left to fix, no doubt about it, but there haven't been any new ones torn open and left for the last 30 yrs. Eventually even the old bones will be gone, we just ain't quite there yet.

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hey take it easy fellas.

10. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

It's all in good fun, and it's a good discussion too. No hurt feelings or grumpiness on this side of the conversation.

I'm just killing time while I cook anyway.

Merry Christmas fellas! :D

11. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

My opinion only, but if Uncle Sam keeps up with this type of public protection laws (regulations ?) I think it will eventually lead to an all out revolution against the folks that are trying to push this "scientific facts" agenda down our throats. I am a former Navy meterologist and this crap about global warming is really getting on my butt. It ain't happening. All of it is based on less than 200 years of actual data on climatology. And how old is the earth? It's all crap.

12. The "Reality" is we all have to clean up our world. Nobody will do it for us. Oh and one question,when did Tman become a moderator? :rolleyes:

13. Swifster

Swifster

Amen! This stuff goes in cycles.

As for California, I think Arnold, Pelosi and the other tree huggers should put their money where their mouths are. Make it illegal to sell gasoline, diesel, E85, jet fuel and fuel oil in the entire state. Make it effective January 1st. And because they think the auto industry is to blame for everything, I think every auto manufacturers should refuse to sell cars, trucks, SUV's, boats, etc., in California. While we're at it, these need to apply to the state of New York as well. These are the best ways to make both states 'zero emissions'.

14. Is this thing on? Try the veal! G'nite and drive safe
    Bil

15. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Why don't you loose that nasty childish attitude of yours?

Who cares anyway if it's beeen posted before.

16. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

I love the EPA.

O.k. I said it. I live in eastern Ohio applachia. The strip mining companies have raped our pretty hills years ago. Years ago they had to do no reclamation and everywhere you look today there is 100-150 tall unsightly highwalls.

The creek behind our farm was literally bright flourecent orange from the mine runoff. Due to the EPA efforts the stream is now again nice and clear.

Don't even get me started on longwall mining that is practiced in this area. Do you all now what that is? That is were they remove a 4-5' vein of coal and leave no support. Your house/farm etc literally drops 3-5 feet. Nice for your foundation and house. How can they go under your house? All the coal rights were sold a 100 years ago before longwall mining was even invented.

The EPA was the only gov't agency on the "little peoples" side that made sure the mining companies repair peoples homes and make sure the water supply was not ruined.

My small farm is going to be longwalled in 2-3 years and I'm sick over it.

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I was an aircrewman in the Navy 35 years ago.We use to fly into the Bay area over HWY 101. In 1970-72 you could see a yellow haze hanging 10 feet above the highway. It was like a parallel road above it.As emissions cleaned up,so did the air.
    A guy I ride with has a wife who grew up in a small community in Arkansas. A company was dumping stuff in the ground.It went into the drinking water.She is the only one in her HS class that is still alive.Most of the others had stomach cancer.She has a lot of gastro-intestional problems.
    The company just filed bankruptcy and moved to another State and started all over.
    All issues are something to think about.

18. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Another reason to let my Edsel enjoy it's patina...

19. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I'm 61 years old. I chewed on lead painted window sills and played with asbestos sheets out behind the barn. I rode a bike without a helmet and rode in the back of the old man's pickup. Our kids never had a carseat and I survived my wild youth without a seatbelt. I ran cars at the drags with out earplugs and we painted about a zillion cars out in the back yard with little paper masks.
    I wish the government would stop feeling the need to save us from ourselves. BTW Fuck regs.

20. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Here, Here!!

Keep this thread GOING!!

Sincerley,
    Francis

21. Chopped26

Chopped26

We have to protect the world we live in and our selfs and our kids .The big problem isnt a few peeps painting cars in there garage its the big boys. Texaco chevron exxon ect who are causing all the damage . Its the same fucks that are screwing us at the pump

22. hivolt76528

hivolt76528

Maybe it is because like where I live no one is even close enough to smell my paint fumes , but I am treated like I live in a cookie cutter house 3 ft from my neighbor . Why should i be penalized for all the folks that choose to live in the cities and yet get none of the so called benefits that they have . I remember how bad the cities are / were and that is why I chose to live the small town /counrty life .

23. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

hit the nail on the head there.....this countrys going to hell in 30 years any ways....id be willing to bet we'll be owned by japan and china by then.....all thanks to these lazy, protesting, whiney, bitchy hippies who have raised kids that are even whinyer and bitchier......cuz they have no lifes worth anything..........

24. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

That's the prob. We're getting screwed when the big guys to blame.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lot's of people do. Those that have been trying to support this forum over the years. So quit with your attitude. And fill out you fucking profile....

26. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Nice language. Tells a lot about a persons character...or lack of.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It goes with your lack of netiquette. You talk shit and expect to not get any. Get over yourself. Do yourself a favor and go back to the stang forums...

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you buncha wimpy noobs need to back the fuck up and think a bit... someone asked is bandwith a problem? yea, actually it IS a bit of a problem here on the HAMB...

grow some thicker skin... shit, you fuckers would have been eaten alive before the "kinder gentler HAMB" as it is now

29. NJVadala

NJVadala

When painting is outlawed, only outlaws will paint.

30. :confused:

It is really strange to watch some of these threads turn into infighting and name calling.
    The original topic of this thread was how the new regulations would effect OUR hobby. ALL OF US. We have survived legislation in the past and we will again. We always find a way.
    We really should can the backbiting and name calling, it is counter productive. Together we will figure out a way to work within or change the regs to allow hobbyists to be able to do their thing.

Alden