Register now to get rid of these ads!

New here from NC with my 40s Dodge truck build..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue70, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone

Stone

Welcome. Nice project. I look foward to seeing more pics.

2. I'm not saying that there aren't rails with SBC power running VW front ends, but I pose this to you, how many have all the weight of the engine/trans so CLOSE to, almost on top of the VW axle? I'm guessing not many, there's gotta be a reason. If you're deadset on using it, good on ya, just hope for your sake (and anyone else on the road when it lets go) you have good insurance.

3. Blue70

Blue70

And a Model T or Model A front end was never ment to carry the weight of a full body car with (take your pick) SBCs with 6/71 blowers, big blocks, etc.. but people are doing it all the time, with suicide perches in rods no less... and look at the bigger 50s cars that used to run straight axles at the strip.. lot more stress there, pulling the tires off the ground... I don't think old Henry ever designed it for that..

I have no doubts about this front end... It's sitting nicely in the stroke as it is, not anywhere near bottomed out.. If It was anywhere near bottoming out I might be worried..
    They even sell coil over shocks for the front ends of VWs, that add "an EXTRA 700 lbs of load carring capacity"... that's about the same weight as the SBC with Tranny.. so I think I am good..

Everyone that uses them say I will be fine, and have no problems..
    Have you ever used one and experienced anything different, or are you just speculating?

4. its looking a hell of a lot better than that freakin stakebed thread keeps us updated blue..

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The model A and T axles are forged I-beams, a bit different, and the 50's gassers didn't use A and T axles...

I have my doubts about the VW front end, and that's having beat up on a few VW's in my day.... I've never thought of using one with that much weight on it though...

6. Thumper

Thumper

Shit man......keep on working on it...looking good so far. Hot rodding is about being creative and resourceful. I like the grille your using. :D

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I think some of you guys need to put this into perspective. Sure, he has a sbc with all its trimings, what, maybe 1,000 on the front axle? So some other guy is doing whole car off the ground jumps with his sand rail, same axle set up. The sand rail weights, what 1500-2000lbs? so when the sand rail lands on the front axle from that 5' jump, what is the force being applied to the front axle? Suppose its more then the 1,000 lbs he is dealing with? The sand rail may make 20 jumps in a weekend and comes back the next weekend to do it all over again. Can't say I remember seeing or hearing about many front axle failures and there sure wouldn't be so many guys using this axle if it were a problem on the dunes. I doubt this guys truck is going to be doing many jumps, I don't see an issue with it.

From what I see, the quality of the construction so far looks good. I'd like to see the ends of the tubing where there are other tubes attached to the side walls, welded shut, but that may be just my thinking. Can't say I like the style of the build, but its not my truck. He probably doesn't like my truck either, and I'm cool with that. Its what makes the world go around. Keep us posted as you progress. Gene

8. aabbcco

aabbcco
    from Washington

I would also look into pulling out your old tortion leaves to inspect them for cracks or damage - and posibly look into upgrading to heavy duty off road racing leaves. A lowered bug that gets driven a lot on bumpy pot-holed roads can have front end failure due to the added stress on the front end.

The sandrail comparison would not ease my mind one bit - they are a completely different weight bias and you use them in unpopulated open sand fields with soft downhill landings.

I do think you can make it work - just not in stock form.

9. A good way to learn, and your next one will be even better. See my build below.

10. Blue70

Blue70

OK..
    Should I mount the headlights up higher, or down low?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really need to finish the bed.. :(
    [​IMG]

11. Lowbrow52

Lowbrow52

I like them down low. Whole truck looks cool.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

13. 73RR

73RR

...looked pretty good until I saw that damned shiverlay..enough already! now you have just another shivvey powered rod, no big deal.

14. Thumper

Thumper

I vote mount em low.:D

15. zgears

zgears

looks like shit....

Blue70 likes this.
  16. Blue70

Blue70

Good thing I'm not building it for you there big cheeze.. eh

17. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I like it, nice frame work and the headlights look better lower......

18. Blue70

Blue70

It's ALIVE!!!

Just wanted to hear it run after removing it from the donor :D

[​IMG]

19. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That sure is different. What kind of wheels and tires are you going to use? Not those?

20. 36dually

36dually
    from Colorado

Welcome Blue
    I have been watching your build on CBN (I asked about your wheels)
    I will probably get flamed, but I like the lights up high for some reason

21. Blue70

Blue70

Not these, but just steels in the front, and some other aluminum ones that I have here at home in the rear for now.. I am in the middle of sandblasting them and powder coating them now..

I would like some different ones later but I need to stick with what's free right now

22. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Just caught this thread....welcome to the group! opinionated, But mostly the best source of info for your build. Old saying I like..."the more ideas you get, the higher amount of good ones will result". Nice work...!!!!! you seem to have all bases covered. Rat-Rod ? depends on the final look and paint. What's your vision ?

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Congrats on the successful start up. I know it's early, but what are your plans on body finish color?

24. Blue70

Blue70

My thoughts on the finish....

I was going to go the regular flat black with red wheels,
    but now I think I am going to go with Hot Rod Flatz - Flat Red
    like the truck pictured below.. With the black canvas sunroof, and toneau cover, along with black headlight buckets and black powder coated wheels (Black powdercoated wheels are just what I have right now and will be temporary.. not sure on the final wheels yet)
    Maybe something on the door, or some old school pinstriping.. we'll see

[​IMG]

25. fitzee

fitzee

Interesting build.I like it when people use what they have or what you can get for free.Anybody can build a car with money. As of now how long are you building this??and what is the total cost so far?

fitzee

26. Blue70

Blue70

Thanks.. Just about 5 weeks now of lunch breaks, and a day on the weekend here and there, and just under $1000 so far

27. Stone

Stone

I vote low on the head lights.

28. luckystiff

luckystiff

i've got a straighaxle for you. it's even dodge. it'll even be out soon(hopefully)...ken....

29. moparron426

moparron426

coming from the mopar point of view, I would rather see a dodge motor in a dodge, but I guess you have to go with what you got. I would have used a mopar motor:D
    I like how low it is and nice work on the frame, like the others have said, I hope that frontend works out for you:cool: good luck with your project. Ron...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.