Register now to get rid of these ads!

LED tailights - are they used here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendettaautofab, Dec 22, 2007.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

I know they are not traditional, but honestly...some original taillights are just not visable. Just curious how many people run LED conversions or LED repop taillights?

Would there be a demand for them on here?

2. Joe King

Joe King

I ran one on a chopper in a model a light. It wasn't very bright and one of the little wires broke off a couple hundred miles from home and I didn't have a way to solder it back on. It's hanging on the wall if ya want it?

3. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

I think they are neat and durable but there are so many traditional style repop lights and even originals I doubt that many would have any use for them here.

4. sawzall

sawzall

I think they are an appropriate concession to safety..

but as far as looks go..
    they aren't all created equal..

I have a pair of the "technostalgia" taillights in my 40, which you can barely tell are LED's/

I have another pair of "speedway" led taillights in my 47 chevy and they look like crap..(you can actually see every LED under the lens..)

FWIW.

5. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Not sure what that means, but never had a problem seeing any of them, unless they're mounted down under the car, where they shouldn't be anyway. LEDs look like crap and are a good way to ruin a traditional car.

6. BinderRod

BinderRod

I have them on my truck. I would'nt run anything else. For those that think you have to have the period correct air in your tires, give it a rest, there tail and brake lights. Use your crappy 6 volt taillights in the fog and I will use my LED and then see wich one can be seen.

I also think that no one should have to ask permission to be safe. Geesh!!

Better yet here is a link.
    http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TPR

7. I guess when it comes to taillights, hey, it's your ass...

8. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Yup. I've got them on both my shoeboxes. I don't want some guy on a cellphone plow into me cause he couldn't see my tail lights.

http://www.shiny-hiney.com/

9. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

I use LED buld replacements. Keep the factory housings and lenses and just change out the bulb. I also use led clusters as the turn signal in my (original & tradtional) 682 guide light tops. Best of both worlds.

10. I us them on my dirt t They rotate down when power is applied and up when engine is turned off. they are so bright thet I can see behind the car at nite when I step on the brake.

Attached Files:

11. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Yeah, you can use that argument to justify 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, and even a backup camera like the mommies have on their SUVs now. Whatever makes you happy.

12. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I can't say that I've seen an LED tail light that I like yet, but that doesn't mean they are out there. I haven't personally used one, but a lot of guys with 55-59 chevy trucks are running LED versions of those tail lights. Dunno if that helps you or not though.

13. I have the Technostalgia LED '40 Chevy tail lights on my '40 ragtop. They are a quantum jump over tinfoil in the OEM housings, silver paint, Francis bright bulbs and whatever home brew improvements have come along in the 30 years I've had the car. They are bright! I have been stopped twice, at night, for no tail lights the old way.

I don't give a rats ass if they are "traditional" or not! My sensibilities aren't bruised badly when they aren't on and I'd rather be seen at night, and I can't see them when they're on. The rest of you babies will have to get over it.

This is a clear case of preferring function over form. I'm sorry if I offended anyone but this debate is clearly one of my buttons.

Charlie

14. chopped

chopped

Putting some on my 36. If that's OK with everyone here.

15. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I use them and they work great for me,
    but I only have a 53 & 55 chevy ,BUT,like binderrod said its my ass and I like the way it lights up brighter than the 1157's

16. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

well, thanks for the input.... I realize they are not traditional, but I do know that alot of OEM lights are hard to see.

The reason I ask is I have a discount for some LED conversions and complete assemplies, technostalgia and others that I can pass along if interested

17. I run the Technostalgia ones in my 47 and wouldn't have it anyother way. They are 10 times brighter than the stock lights.

18. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I've converted my 59 Caddy Taillights to LED along with the Motorcyle turn signal lights I have in front behind the horn grills on my 36 Ford. Changing bulbs can be a royal PITA when the lights are frenched or are realitively inacccessible. LED's last forever and give good light.

I did have to use relays to make the flashers work correctly. The led's don't draw enough power to make the flasher work and even sometimes the turn signal switch itself.

19. nope , got one on my scoot though..

20. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

Replacement light bulb 12V 50/15W Halogen 1157 work great if you have glass lenses. Are a little hard to find can usually find them at a Harley-Davison dealer or aftermarket. Led Work best in plastic lenses not so good in glass

21. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I'm not into high tech but led's are something I will and do use. Some guys wil go as far as a third brake light in the interest of safety. I won't do that, but brightening up an orginal style light with led's works for me.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

with the original 6 volt set up in my 53 chevy they were bright enough..no prolem stock lighting good grounds and good switches and all..absolutly no problems..now after the 12 vold conversion ..feakin spactacular!..i dont see any need for the LED's if you have good electrical equipment, good lenses and good reflectors in the back of your light fixtures to reflect out the light..not some old crusty piece of crap backing.

23. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I got a set on the rear of my 40. I'm happy with them

24. bonesy

bonesy

I use them. They may not be cool.

You can't tell until I hit the binders - then you can tell - and that's the point.

25. Joe King

Joe King

No really you can have it

26. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I use the 1157 replacement in my pickup. Plenty bright even thru the glass lenses. I suppose you can tell the difference between them and a bright incandescent bulb if you are a card carrying member of the traditional police, but I am just happy that the clueless SUV driver at my 6 o'clock can see them.

27. 5window

5window

If you don't want to use the LED's,Ron Fracis offers a Brite Bulb that is several times brighter than the standard bulb,will work okay with plastic lenses and still looks "traditional" whatever the hell than means. I use them in my A which has sequential Pontiac tail lights and they work very well.

28. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

If u dont want to use LEDS but, still want the brightest tail/brake lights possible, use halogen tail/brake bulbs with a relay. I'm running this setup on my car and its extremely bright. I use halogen bulbs and relays for my headlight setup too. The bulbs can get hot though.

Here's how to do it:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/brighter-headlights.shtml