Register now to get rid of these ads!

New here from NC with my 40s Dodge truck build..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue70, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue70

Blue70

Just wanted to say hello..

I've been here once or twice looking around the tech section, and have decided to join today..

I'll fill you in on what I have done in the past month..
    I've been working during my lunch break every day and going to work early to work on it..

Here's what I started with

[​IMG]

This is the part I want :D

[​IMG]

I started on the frame about 11/20/2007

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Thanksgiving day I finished the frame and took it to a friends house

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dropped the body onto the new frame..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue70

Blue70

I started on a bed for it... This is not the finished product.. going to add some top rails to it,
    and some other parts.. May also add some side skirts to hide the suspension..

Anyway.. here's the trial fit of the bed..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had about an hour and 45 min to work on the truck today, so I dove into chopping the top.. Back is lined up great, and tacked in place.. I'll work on the front next week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I am going to use the original grill for the truck...

I cut it down and will reshape the bottom a bit later today...

What do you think?

Original
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did the first pass at doing a complete weld on the top after the chop, I also dropped in the engine and transmission..

I found out I am going to have to cut the grill down a bit more, it sits higher than the cowl, so I need to lose about 5"..

Now I can get started on a transmission tunnel and putting a floor in it :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

All I see is red X's. It's a real shame 'cuase I love dodges.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nice job, but you really need to run a hood with that engine...

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Interesting idea and a lot of nice work. Are you going to run fenders to cover the front suspension or go another route?

6. looks great so far , cant wait to see where this is gonna finish up like..

7. You need a hood! or another intake!!

8. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

9. Excellent work fabbing that truck up..it's looking smooth so far, that's an interesting choice for the motor, I'll have to say I haven't seen that in an RPU before. Also welcome to the board, what part of NC are you in?

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It says Wilmington under his avatar...

11. DeSoto would call it a Rat Rod. And I'd agree...

12. Yankeyspeed

Yankeyspeed

You might be able to right click on the pic and go to show picture.

13. And you DO realize there's a big assed dent in the roof, doncha? You cut the top and didn't push that out? I don't get it...

14. ...nice work, hope you didn't scrap the rest of that truck, guys are restoring those bigger trucks now, you could get some of your money back.

...nice shop, looks like you're all set-up and lots of room to work; must be nice.

15. Izzat a VW front end I see under there? WTF is wrong with people? That setup was never intended to handle the weight you just put on it or the accompanying stress that the extra weight will bring once it's in use, do your fellow drivers a favor and toss that thing into the scrap heap, get a correct front axle setup and start over! Other than that, your work looks ok, your ambition is admireable, but that truck is ugly

16. Blackie

Blackie

I agree with the VW beam - it was the first thing I noticed... Yep it prolly cost you $25 bucks but there's a reason. Get the right axle out from under there!

That said, didn't Tex Smith use a VW beam under that whatchyamacallit he built way back, But I thought the motor was set way back. i'll try to find the article.

NOW how bout that Tuned port, eh?

(Now waiting for DeSoto to log on, time to get the popcorn........)

17. 416Ford

416Ford

I hope you gave someone a chance to get the original engine and suspension. If you weren't so far away I would be interested in it. And what is wrong with running the original front suspension in that truck? Would have looked really cool with a straight axle.

18. Chopped26

Chopped26

The truck looks bad ass . I love the front grille. I dont how strong VW front ends are but they sure seem to handle flying off sand dunes in bugys and sand rails and dont seem to brake

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

see the quote above to figure it out...

20. DrJ

DrJ

I'm sure it looks fine but I'll never know cuz my poor old small memory G4 on dial-up won't load that many huge pics in a million years without freezing the puter... :(
    How about some linked thumbnails next time, please!

I read it has a VW front end.
    Those work fine if you hide them under a 50's style Indy car shaped front end. you can still section and stretch your Dodge front to make it.
    Tex Smith's XR-6 '27 T GNRS winner did this. It's a '60's "Show Rod" style car.

21. True enough, but they don't do it with the weight of a SBC/trans/radiator etc on them, VW never built a car that has even part of the weight he's asking this axle to hold.

22. Blue70

Blue70

Today I worked on the floor and driveshaft/transmission tunnel..

I think I might keep the tunnel part removable.. not sure

Anyway... I still need to do the front, but am going to wait untill I get my master cylinder for the brakes mounted..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Blue70

Blue70

Yes... it looks like they hosted dancing with the stars up there....

If you notice in the photos, I did not patch the center part of the roof when I pulled the front half foreward... that's because it's not going to be there... It's getting the center cut out and it'll have a canvas sunroof up there..

That's the poor mans fix..;)

24. Blue70

Blue70

The VW front end has proven itself in the dunes (like was stated, and yes, under SBC powered sand rails) it has also been used for rods in the past, one magazine even showed how to mount one in a rod a long time ago....

The engine transmission weighs about 750lbs or so.. I seriously doubt that it will see any more stress than a sand rail landing from 5' or more in the air.. But if it breaks, or bends, I'll cut it out and replace it.. It's only steel, but untill then it stays.. unless you want to give me a straight axle..

As far as the TPI... it was free, that's why it's in there..
    If anyone else has a free running engine I can have, I'll think about swapping it out ;)

I am poor, and need to use free parts.. this build should come in well under $2000 when I am done.. I am at less than half that right now..

25. Have fun with your build.

26. aabbcco

aabbcco
    from Washington

If you're dead set on using the VW front end, I would seam weld the shock towers (they are only pinch welded) and put a gusset from the upper tortion tube to the shock tower and seam weld up the little square support at the top of the shock tower as well.

That is one of the methods that the baja racers use to strenghen the front ends - because they are not meant for that kind of abuse in stock form.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In other words.... "Stick a sock in it!":D

Way to stick up and explain your situation. Now I like your build even more and I'm not a truck guy. Keep us updated on YOUR truck.

Also, I'm using a pair of $60 shocks meant for a sand buggy on the back of my T Bucket. I just didn't have the bucks for the $375 ones that everyone swears by. So far, no problem and I had a couple of fat assed friends of mine jump on it a few times. Now, if they ride like shit later on, I'll change 'em, but my logic was much like yours. A freaking sand runner lands off dunes from 5' plus with no problem. I don't plan on running into any 5' speed bumps in Houston. Hot rodding has always had a little experimentation in it. Usually due to a budget.

28. malkintent

malkintent

Ditto "TFEVERFRED"
    good job so far these guys'll flak ya ya just gotta swerv and punch it.lol

love the grill
    mal

29. Check out Richard D's "The Ugly Truck" build, same cab. He trimmed the skirts off the bottom of the rockers, kinda helped. Have fun!

30. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Welcome to the HAMB board,
    Good to have another rodder so close,
    Get in touch if ya need anything around the Raleigh area

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.