Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GRers and Ice Storm

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Jim Marlett, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Since the epicenter of HA/GR activity has been in a horrific ice storm, I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything from the folks in that area?

2. Rand Man

Rand Man

I missed the ice in Northwest Arkansas. I'd like to hear from the Okies.

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I sent Larry a PM but have not heard back from him. He has not been on here since the 8th, that is not like him. I hope everyone is doing OK out there.

4. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

I suspect they are without power. Wichita turned out to be in an isolated pocket of not much ice, but all around us there are power outages that they think will be fairly long term since the damage was so wide spread with this storm. I think they got pretty well hammered in a lot of Oklahoma. As of last night there were nearly a half-a-million homes and businesses still without power in Oklahoma and about 125,000 here in Kansas. Seems like we've had a real doozy somewhere in this area every year for the last three years.

Sorry for starting this off topic thread, but I worry about us old farts.

5. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Oh, and I'm glad you dodged the icy bullet, Rand Man.

6. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi everyone, we just at noon got our electric back on, that's 12-13 at noon, it went off at about 9 am on Monday, everything was really quiet except for the loud cracking sound of tree limbs snaping. We are probably going to have more freezing rain or snow on saturday. Thanks for asking, Joe Hamby

7. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Good to hear you're OK, Joe. I hope the next wave just brings a little snow.

8. 348chevy

348chevy

7:30 a.m. Fri. morning and the weather forecast for our area and Okla. is 10 to 12 inches of snow. We will see what it is by Sun. morning. I have been doing some work on the car but it is really cold in the shop. I did take the distributor in the house and took it apart on the kitchen table. The wife did not approve.:p Roy

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just the distributor? I rebuilt a VW engine on the kitchen counter once.......also did one on a card table in the living room one year for a friend, during thanksgiving week, and we had family thanksgiving dinner at our house.

Must admit, I have a very understanding wife. :D

10. ron60

ron60

Still have some people with out power, calling for 4 to 7 inches of snow thru saturday. I have tree limb thru the roof of the shop, going to attempt to fix before snow hits today. Just another winter in the midwest, need to move back west. Ron

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

That ice is hard on trees. Sorry about your shop. I talked to my sister (in southwest Missouri). The ice is a least two inches thick on everything outside.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My heart goes out to you guys. Hope everything gets back on track soon.

13. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Son-in-law just left Omaha for his parents and brother's place in Mo. Took his chain saw to cut trees that had fell on his folks house, and a portable generator so at least one of the two families would have electricity. And as the forecast says more bad weather on it's way. Oh my...

HellRaiser

14. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

FINALLY! Got our electric back on after a week of being in the dark.
    Missed most of the big snow yesterday.:):)
    I'll be cutting on tree's until next August, one hell of a mess.
    Hopefully after Xmas the Ram Rods will have time to look at the engine in the HA/GR to see why it has no power plus we have alot of other things to do to it also.

15. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

got power back on two days ago and parents got power last night, Still over 2000 without power in Manhattan though.

16. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Still no word from Larry, Has anybody heard from him?

17. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I just tried calling him. I got his voicemail.

18. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Larry's trees all came down on his power lines and took out the pole and ripped the service from his house. One tree went through the roof of his shop and no the 32 was not in it. Other than that Larry's fine.:D
    He is getting power from a generator but I dont know if he is using his computer.

19. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I'm lucky enough to have a PSO big wig living two doors away and the power for the water tower is at the end of my power line. We only lost power for about 34 hours.

My Mom is still without power and she lives in "Midtown Tulsa". Her power went out Saturday night a week ago. My sister lives in town also and the service was ripped off her house. It actually took the meter and all and since it wasn't done yet, went ahead and yanked the wiring out of the circuit box. It will all have to be replaced. This all happened Sunday morning, a week ago. There is supposed to be an electrician coming over tomorrow or Wednesday and then she'll have to wait for PSO to come back and re-attach. Her neighborhood has power so they yanked hers until repairs could be made.

My Mom is supposed to have hers back tomorrow. My sister's family has been staying with her and they are all staying warm and watching TV with a generator I bought them.

Any Okies that get a chance, thank the crews who are working their asses off. MOST of them are not from here and won't be home for Christmas.

The people who live behind us had their service ripped from an intermediate pole. The guy just had surgery and is trying to recoup so we have been doing what we can for them. I stretched some electric to them from the barn so they could at least keep their food from going bad. We finally flagged down a crew that was thanfully disconnecting the power line that was laying in our driveway since last Monday morning and asked them if there was anything they could do to help these people. They were so nice about it I was amazed. The two guys who I was talking to are from Jackson Mississippi and said the loved working out our way after a week of working in Tulsa. Anyway, they went around and had a look at it and had to call a tree crew. The tree crew that showed up was from somewhere near Tampa Florida. They were in a truck with Alabama plates and told me they were just a small tree company that decided to head up and help out. Their truck died in Alabama and an Alabama tree company heard about what they were doing and let them borrow a truck to keep coming and then sent some of their own crews along with them. The PSO/AEP Supervisor was from Wilburton, Oklahoma.

They got the neighbors all fixed up and were actually kinda bashful when we thanked them. Profusely.

We'd truly be up a creek without all the help.

I went by my Mom's after work to change the oil in the generator and clean up some of her trees. Didn't get too far on the trees. I've been running a chainsaw every night after work and all weekend and my back spasms just looking at the thing. Anyway, there are still HUGE sections of Tulsa that are pitch black.

If you're lucky enough to make it through with the basics get out there and help someone who needs it.

Here's the wreckage at Racho de Rash....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rashy/sets/72157603429971610/show/

20. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Thnaks for the update Mac. Glad to hear you guys are all getting by.

21. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

I sure feel for everybody dealing with the ice. I still can't believe how lucky we were here. I figured if it was just a degree or two colder here in Wichita, we'd have been in the same boat and judging from the amount of unfrozen rain that fell, it looked like it would have been even worse than the 2005 storm. I think one of the things that makes this one so bad is how widespread it is. I hope everybody in the swath of this storm knows we're thinking of them.

22. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

The news this morning said there are still 25,000 without power.

My Mom's supposed to get hers back today.

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove through T-town last week and could not believe how bad the area looked. You've been in my prayers. Can I do anything to
    help?? Let me know.

Happy Trails,

Mick