Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 plymouth info wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greggski, Sep 16, 2005.

1. greggski

greggski

Hey everyone, i just bought a 1951 plymouth 2 door and was wondering if anybody had some info on this type of car. Its a 2door with a 230 flathead six with 3 on the tree. on one side it has" suburban" on the left fender and on the right it has something beginning with a c. i checked the engine and it was free and the floorboards are all pretty solid. The interior was toast but the exterior body was in solid shape . This was a total impulse buy . my wife and i went to a friends farm for dinner and there it was in back of the horse pasture. It had duel spotlights and tiny clip on mirror on the door rim. Its just a cool little car that i have never seen before. I have a good running 230 out of a 59 dodge truck that i could drop into the car and i have a duel exhaust manifold that i had bought from crestliner that i haven't put on the truck yet. Any pics/ info on these cars would be apreciated. Thanks Gregg

2. '51 plymouth engine stock is 217.8 C.I. different crank and rods than a 230. Suburban is the two door station wagon. "c" cranbrook? '49 to '52 Dodges and Plymouths are my favorites, cool car!

3. Good find! I am partial to these cars.

Here's mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does yours look like this?
    Mine is a Cambridge. Do you have any pics of yours yet?

BloodyKnuckles

4. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

What specific info are you looking for Greg? I've had a 51 Concord for some time that I'm trying to HAMB. The Burb is on the rare side if you got one in decent condition. Heres mine.

[​IMG]

5. greggski

greggski

Yes that looks like it except mine just a little more weather worn. I haven't tried the brakes , all 4 tires are flat, but all the glass is intacted and the body is pretty straight. it was running when parked about 21 years ago and the guy was saving it for his son who has no interest in it . I picked it up for $300.00 . I figure it would be easier to get the car going than the model t pickup im building. Its just a cool looking little car. What have you done on your car? Have you found parts hard to find? i don't have pics yet but will sometime soon. Thanks Gregg

6. greggski

greggski

I think the fender is off a suburban. the car looks like the one pictured above. Have you found any good parts source for your car? i here that roberts motors is pretty good. What is the plymouth/dodge message board does anybody know? thats a really cool ride you got there! Gregg

7. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

Personally, I like http://www29.addr.com/~merc583/mopar/p15pages/welcome.html for the best information/help on early Ply/Do's. The Ply board is more for purists if you know what I mean. Roberts is good as well as the following:
    www.kanter.com
    www.rockauto.com
    PlyDo (no web site) 304 475 3245 for all early Ply/Do/s and later models as well.
    www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/plymouths-1949-1952.html
    www.oldmoparts.com/welcome.htm (don't buy rubber parts from him!!)
    www.vapinc.com
    www.oldplymouths.bigstep.com

There are many more. Good luck. Don

8. Normspeed

Normspeed

Here's a great board, named for the earlier Mopars up to 48 but lots of great people with other flathead 6 Mopars there. http://merc583.addr.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl

Parts, NAPA still has em available, or mail order Roberts, Kanter, Vintage Power Wagons for engine stuff. They all have websites. Steele Rubber has stuff for them too.

The Suburban fender script is worth a few bucks depending on how crusty it is.

I have a 53 Suburban and my buddy on the east coast has a 53 2 door hardtop and a 32 Ford Hiboy. Lotsa fun.

PS, I just noticed I only have 3 prior posts. I think the counter slipped, I thought I had 7. Omigawd, post envy!

9. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

[​IMG][/QUOTE] sure would be nice if we could see more pics of this ute. especially the bed and tailgate.

10. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

"nice if we could see more pics of this ute. especially the bed and tailgate"

OK, there are some pics here:

11. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i love the SHIT outta my 51 plymouth, ofcourse, shag owns it now... ARGH!!!

Attached Files:

RCebreros likes this.
  12. Olson

Olson

BloodyKnuckles, I want yer car. :D

Check out this link...found it when I had my '52 Cranbrook. Some good stuff there. Especially helpfull guide for making the gasket between the front fender and the door pillar.

http://www.oldplymouths.bigstep.com/homepage.html

Olson
    ------------
    Somebody kick my ass for lettin' that car go.

13. One thing is for sure NAPA does seem to carry what I need. Make sure you tell them that you will be buying many parts for the car and the prices will reflect in a positive way! I've had my original radiator rebuilt by a local guy who specializes in classic restorations of rads. He did an incredible job. I replaced the points, condensor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I went through the braking system and replaced all the wheel cylinders and rebuilt the master cylinder. I will replace all the brake lines soon. All of this I did mainly for safety reasons. I also lowered it 3".
    I would check the cowl vent seal to see if it is sealing, mine wasn't and leaked under the floor rubber. The horse hair insulation holds that water forever and caused a few very minor issues with rust on the floor. I got lucky, many don't.
    Good luck with the car. They stand out in the world of kustoms.

BloodyKnuckles

BTW...sinkemlow..thanks!

14. I'm building a '55 Savoy 6. Good to see another Plymouth hit the board.

15. greggski

greggski

Well after exstencive and though inspection of the car i've discovered that both front floorboards and right rocker panel and right frame are rotted through. So i'm not so sure im getting the car. the various parts may be worth it such as the rear end which i think has a pretty good gear ratio to use in my 59 pickup.the 15 inch steel wheels i think have the same bolt pattern as my truck and it has duel mopar spotlight on it. But i think the guy is hoping to see it restored not parted out. what would you guys do? I can't find replacement floorboards for those cars anybody have qny luck with body parts? i haven't seen any other ones around this area to use for a donor car. its a shame because the exterior fenders and body are in good shape. Thanks for all the input guys. Gregg

16. The floor and rockers in mine were rotted too, so I just made new ones and welded them in. The frame is a bit more serious though, but not insurmountable, nothing some 3/16" steel plate wont fix. I'd say get it, but then I'm a masochist :p

17. greggski

greggski

the problem i have is i suffer from to many projectitis. I have a model t pickup im building , a 59 dodge halfton pickup that needs some work,a 65 barracuda that needs a little tlc and numerous motorcycle projects. not to mention a 2 month old baby boy. I thought the plymouth would be an easy fixer upper(replace engine ,new brakes, interior , make it safe to drive and enjoy ) Give me something to enjoy while i do my other projects. Thanks again for all the great info ,Gregg

18. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

a buddy of mine's got a 52 (?) crankbrook with the stock flat 6 and overdrive (which hasnt worked in years) but he's got a slant six and tranny he plans on dumpin in it,as well as 2 extra grills to use the teeth from..i'm lookin forward to seein it done..he just got it painted recently with scallops
    creepy

19. Lonely_Kasket13

Lonely_Kasket13
    from Minnesota

yours is def. a cranbrook if its a two dr...in 1951 they had about 5 different models to chose from...they had the suburban(station wagon), the Cranbrook Belvedere(which is what I have) its a two dr. hardtop and actually 1951 was the first year they offered the Belvedere and its a pretty rare car now days...then they had the regular Cranbrook 2 dr. which is what yours is...then the 4 dr. Cambridge, and then finally the Concord which is a Business Coupe...Yeah I ike the early 50's plymouths alot or even just the early 50's cars all around cause it seems like you never see too many of them anymore...

20. Get it! Old Mopars are way under-represented...any show or run you go to, you'll probably be the only one (or one of the only ones) there with one.

I just bought a '50 2dr See-dan (from Montana no less!).

Fix the rust and drive the hell out of her!

21. Lonely_Kasket13

Lonely_Kasket13
    from Minnesota

EXACTLY!...and I think thats whats really cool about these early 50's mopars is that they might not be the COOLEST of cars at the shows...but they def. stand out as being ONE of the cool cars there and not only that, but you WILL def. stand out for probably being one of the only ones with an old 50's mopar there...

22. Empty-pockets

Empty-pockets
    from Louisiana

It started with a 1933 Plymouth two door coupe...with a 383. Sold it, now I have a 1946 two door coupe/360-1948 two door buss. coupe/no motor-1951 two door/trying to shoe horn a 360 in it. I'm thinking the 48 would make one hell of a good looking GASSER....The 51 Plymouth is going under the knife.....A NASSSTY 6" Chop....
    Bagged...With a tasteful hint of leopard flames..

23. mopartim

mopartim

Try the streetrod forum on www.moparts.com Lots of good info there. And cool guys, too. I'm building a 56 Plymouth Suburban with a 270 Dodge red ram hemi right now.

24. RCebreros

RCebreros

Are those Cadillac tail lights on that Mopar?
    Will I piss off the Mopar gods if I say that car looks bad-ass?