Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust on carpet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lonewolfstreetrods, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I effed up. I got a quick rainstorm and my car was uncovered (a roadster) and wasn't in the garage. Anyway, there were some metal parts on the carpet (light tan carpet) and now has some rust spots in the threads. Know of anything that might take it out? If nothing works I guess I will try and cut it out, but figured I would ask first.

2. skipstitch

skipstitch

As funny as it sounds.... I've found Oxy Clean will take alot of stubborn stains out of automotive carpet. Never tried it on rust. But it might be worth a try.

3. DrJ

DrJ

I was thinking Oxy-clean before even opening the thread.
    I usta put greasy engines in Wifes Astro Van, on the tan carpet...
    Well,, the engines slid off the cardboard...?
    I found "Resolve" carpet cleaner took out about 99% of anything that got on it.
    It was the kind that looked like snow or stinky dry cheese and you sprinkled it on and brushed it in and then vacuumed the next day after it absorbed all the nasties.

4. Will give OXY a try. Thanks. Will post the results.

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

If that doesn't work, maybe try vinegar or a bathroom cleaner like CLR (which dissolves rust stains on bathtubs, so maybe on carpet too?)

6. I thought of CLR and even looked at the bottle, but it sounds REAL harsh and may stain/ruin the carpet. I'm kindof looking for things guys might have actually tried rather then to experiment on light tan carpet.

7. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

i know this sounds crazy but when i was in the navy, my civilian clothes got f-ed up with rust stains from a leaky pipe into my footlocker. ruined all my clothes with rust stains. nothing worked to get it clean. then my grandmother told me to put lemon juice on the stain first then while its still wet put table salt (alot) on the the stain and let it dry in the sun. then clean off the excess and wash it.

son of a bitch it worked. i don't know if that will help you, but i thought you said you have a roadster so maybe you can do the same on your carpet. maybe if the oxyclean doesn't work. i also cleaned an interior one time for my wife's lease return with wesley's bleach white whitewall tire cleaner. i did one part wesleys two parts water and a scrub brush, it got the tan interior mint again. good luck... let us know what works.

8. Kustomz

Kustomz

Some of the commercial carpet rust removers are diluted hydrochloric acid. I know from experience that they work well. Just have to be careful in handling it.

9. This past weekend I removed rust stains on my light grey B-body carpet with a spray can called "spot shot", took it out in minutes. I was shocked, the stains have been there for 6 - 8 months. A local car dealer recommended it, at $2.99 a can it was cheap, his only recommendation was to NOT saturate the stain area but use a little at a time and blot/wipe with a clean white rag.

s.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I'd try a product called "Whink rust stain remover". I'm on a well and we have problems with rust stains in the toilet. I've tried everything. Scrubbed like hell with everything in the suburban grocery store. Nada

This stuff is absolutely amazing. No shit! It comes in a squeeze bottle. It's a clear liquid and when you squirt it on the rust stain it just disappears! No shit! no scrubbing...nothing it just flat disappears!

You might need to go to a rural area where people are on wells. I found it again in our hardware store...yes a real hardware store! That may be hard to find also.

Try it first in an inconspicuous place to see if it affects the dye but I'd put a 20 on it that the rust stain will just disappear before your very eyes.

11. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

6 to 1 ratio of white vinegar and water. vinegar is pretty much a mild form of bleach but not harsh enough to remove any kind of dye. it works pretty well on anything regular carpet cleaners contain chemical compund that resemble vinegar. thats what they always say at the boring ass flooring seminars i go to and ive found that its what works best.

12. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Good suggestions so far. The real good ones involve mild acids: lemon juice is citric acid and white vinegar is acetic acid and they are both effective at removing rust. The sun drying is important with those two.

I have heard that the Barkeeper's Friend is good on concrete. It contains oxalic acid and should probably be diluted with warm water when used on driveways and in garages. I have not seen the Barkeeper's Friend stuff used on carpet or other fiber materials, might work, not sure. Good Luck!

13. Al Von

Al Von

Wink has hydroflouric acid in it. It works well, but it will etch glass. DO NOT touch that stuff. Squirt some on the rust stain but DO NOT TOUCH IT! That acid will eat through your skin, to your bone--seeking calcium--and it deadens the nerves along the way so you don't even feel it while its screwing you up!

Safer to use any mild acid, like lemon juice or vinegar. They will work but take longer.

14. If you washed an "Ol Skool Rods" feature car with that would it disappear?:eek:

15. Try Brakekleen, it's really just drycleaning fluid.;)

16. Jacksons Garage

Jacksons Garage

This will probably sound crazier than anything so far, but I have solved rust spots in carpet by painting over them. Spray can some paint on a piece of cardboard about the same shade as the carpet and when you get the "fog" technique and shade down, "fog" it. I've done it several times and others can't tell where the touch up was made.

17. pitman

pitman

It does a fine job! It did take a couple of scrubbings to get all the stain, but probably because of the "tooth" in the material holding onto the iron filings.

18. EmilyBelle

EmilyBelle

I wouldn't use CLR on carpet...you may end up doing more damage to the carpet.
    Try Lemon juice...the citric acid should dissolve the rust without eating the carpet...if that dosen't work OXY Clean maybe

19. damnfingers

damnfingers

Well Lonewolfstreetrods...surely you've tried something by now...did it work or not?

20. floored

floored

Spot Shot work's well. I sell alot of it. You can usually find it at your better carpet stores.

21. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

22. EdselRich

EdselRich

ratroddersjournal is boycotting this right now

23. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Whink if used need to be flushed with copious amounts of water. you should be able to buy it at the grocery store. Whink is great for removing hard water spots from the glas of cars and boats. Be sure not to use it if the window is in the direct sunlight, or has a hight temp as it will smoke the glass and cause you to have to buff it out. Using it in a circular motion in a small area at a time you will see the spots disapear. You then need to flush the window and wash with a mild soap, chamois dry and be amazed at how nice it looks. It will remove rust from fabrics as well just be sure to flush with mucho water!

24. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

the answer is easy on this one...FOLEX

i've used the stuff for a few years now, found out about it when i was a hotel maintenance supervisor. it takes out ink, rust, grease, oil, blood and anything else i manage to track onto the light tan carpet. for those of you with kids, if you're quick (less than a day) it'll even take out hawaiian punch. it pulls shit from the bottom of carpets that you wouldn't believe. when i was at the hotel, i'd go behind the carpet cleaners with it to make sure they were getting it actually clean. even after their best effort i could pull more dirt out of the carpet with the folex. i swear this stuff is magic. you can get it almost anywhere for like $5 a bottle. folex also cleans a million other things besides carpet.

man, i sound like i'm selling the shit but it really does work. i'm not kidding, you'll wander around the house with the bottle getting out those spots that have been bothering you.

http://www.folexcompany.com/

25. if all else fails add more steel
    apply rain
    and all carpet will be the same mottled rust color good luck

26. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

I have used hydrogen peroxide to get rid of blood stains in clothing. It supposedly oxidizes the iron to a state that is more water soluable. Try it under a seat also as it likely will be harsh on some colors.