Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody know anything about a Poly Head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JYPSEA, Dec 11, 2007.

1. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

I was just given a Poly Head but can't find any info on size make or year. It's a 4barrel with spitfire on the valve covers. I was told it was a HEMI and that I could have it for the taking. Well it aint no HEMI but it sure is big and heavy.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The block should have a code stamped in the front, near the perimeter of the valley cover. My first guess would be a '55-'56 Chrysler.

3. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

I believe you can bolt hemi heads on to the poly motors. I could be wrong.

4. The poly-head has the same block as the hemi. The pushrod holes in the block should have oblong hole so the pushrods will work for either head . The hemi head pushrods come out at an angle and the poly they don't.

OLD HEMI

5. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

6. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

There are dozens of different Poly sphere motors.NOT ALL are compatible with hemi's. If it says Spitfire it will probably be a Chrysler Windsor 301 with every chance you can bolt 354 Hemi heads to it.but as they say,go to Bob Walkers Hot heads and see on his listings where your engine fits. good score BTW!

7. HEATHEN is right, get the code stamped in the top of the block just in front of the valley cover.

Chrysler poly engines were produced from 1955 thru 1958 and say SPITFIRE on the valve covers..

In 1955 the WE55 code engine is a 301

In 1956 the WE56 code engine is a 331

In 1957 the LE57 and WE57 code engines are 9.25:1 354

In 1958 the 58W and 58S code engines are 10:1 354

"W" designates the Chrysler Windsor model and "S" designates the Chrysler Saratoga model.

You stated there was a 4bbl present - If it's original, then that most likely is a 57 or 58 engine. The intake is the same casting number used on the 392 hemi.

Chrysler 331/354 hemi heads will bolt right onto these blocks. 392 heads could be used if you fabricate an intake manifold. Dodge and Desoto hemi heads will not fit.

8. 375instroke

375instroke
    from seattle,wa

9. Yes, heavy. I've got a couple Dodge Poly 315s. I'd like to find a 4 barrel intake for one. I'm looking forward to tearing into them.
    The Polyspherical Association and Hotheads have been recommended. The Polyspherical site seems to be missing some information on the older polys. Not sure what has happened there.
    There is also a series of tech bulletins published by Victory.

The spell checker here doesn't recognize the word "polyspherical". Bah!

10. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Thanks for the replys. The block is stamped with WE55 so looks like I am the proud owner of a 1955 301 POLY. Not bad for free especialy since it was overhauled and then put in storage. I ended up with it because the garage was about to be demolished and I was in the right place at the right time. I now have an engine, set of wheels, and grill from a36 international. wont be long now.