Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just a tip to the Y Block guys....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Homespun91, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Just as a FYI, in case you haven't heard....

the old Y block book by James Eickman is back in print & available through Motorbooks.com, for $19.95...actually on sale right now for $14.96. :D

People have paid ridiculous prices for this book for years...& now that it's back in print, guys are buying them & trying to eBay them off for the same ridiculous prices. Save your cash and get it from Motorbooks, Amazon, or a local bookstore....

BTW, the book is more of a history and a basic rebuild than anything else, & has some errors...but, as the only book ever wriiten specifiically about the Y block, it does have its place. :)

2. photofink

photofink

Can you please list the errors? Ive based pretty much everything I know about y blocks on this book.

3. squirrel

squirrel

ferinstance, did they REALLY put T bird heads on truck motors?

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I've been knee-deep in a 292 for the last month, and I was researching this, and heard the same thing...I guess Amazon and the like will have them now?
    I heard that they were bringing $ 120+ on the bay...damn!

5. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

when i HAD a y-block i tried to get this book, too...for the tune of $100+.

thats good news.

6. Fidget

Fidget

The price of that book was freaking ridiculous!! I came across a guy that offered to photo copy the entire book, and sell it to me for $50. I was wondering why it's never been reprinted. Thank you for the heads up!

7. http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_38813.ncm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b...3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=eickman&x=11&y=22

Photofink, there are several errors in minor issues like casting numbers, hp ratings, years of certain parts, etc. Nothing earthshaking. I can list them if you're interested. However...

The major error is on page 72...in the picture of the timing chain & gears, it shows the dots on the wrong side (U.S.A. passenger) of the engine, and they should be on the USA driver's side. The Y has the unique (so far as I know) timing set orientation anyway, & this just makes it more complicated. :) BTW, some of the aftermarket timing sets have the "dots" in the wrong place...bottom line...degree in the cam...

Squirrel...yep. :) From '57-'59 many Ford/Merc Ys got ECZ-G heads, including certain T-Birds, passenger cars, light trucks, & medium trucks...

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Do you suppose Mummert has annotated his copy? (I'm sure he has one.) Maybe he'd be willing to share his error notations.

9. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Good info here thanks. I bought one.

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thanks for the heads-up

11. k-member

k-member

I did not know that book used to be so rare, I bought mine at a swap meet about 5 years ago for 2 bucks. Thanks for pointing out the errors.

12. photofink

photofink

Thanks Homespun91!
    Anymore important ones?

13. Important, no (guess that depends on the viewpoint; I'm not a restorer, so some of these mean very little to me one way or t'other...) with the exception of one item, which won't be an issue for most builds.

pg 17: the 312 nomenclature was ECZ, not ECJ

pg 17: the 285 hp version had a "rated" 10.5:1 compression, as the heads were milled .050 from the factory (ALL Y blocks have lower compression than the "rated" numbers...)

pg 27: the truck casting was 5750471

pg 28: chart: some sources say that ALL '57-'59 heads are ECZ-G....not true, but many of them are. ECZ-E & ECZ-F may not exist...never run across them personally, & I've heard yes & no. The EDB heads are rare as hell, & the 471 heads are often considered as an equivalent for them. The 113 heads are similar to ECZ-G but with slightly different (deeper) chambers. The 5750471 heads are not listed, nor are the C2AE; nor are the C1TE truck heads with 1.64" intakes.

Bottom line on the heads, go to Mummert's web site which has a more thorough chart. :)

pg 29: The 239 cranks are interchangable into later non-312 blocks, but the oiling holes are different which could (possibly) lead to oiling issues; the 239 rod bearing inserts were different as a result, but later bearings are interchangable; 312 cranks can be turned down to fit into earlier blocks (not an error per se; not all cranks have slingers.

pg 29: C1TE steel cranks were available from '61-'64, earlier ones were cast regardless of application. These C1TE steel cranks were used in medium trucks (again, not exactly an error, I suppose it depends on your definition of a MD vs. a HD truck).

pg 30: As noted there are a number of different exhaust manifolds; he doesn't mention that T-Bird manifolds are different from pass car manifolds, and '55-'56 manifolds are different from '57-up.

pg 38: the rod number mentioned should be C1TE-6200-C, commonly known as "C1TE rods". He mentions the difference in weight, which is true, but neglects to note that it's because they are SHORTER than a regular 239/256/272/292 rod (any of those part #s). The C1TE rods are the same length as the 312 rods, because the '61-'64 MD trucks used pistons with a taller compression height.

In one case I know of, a "builder" (term used loosely) used these C1TE rods with replacement 292 pistons. (So far as I know the truck-type pistons are not available new.) The pistons sat approx. .120 down in the hole at TDC...loooooooow compression. The next owner got stuck with that one.

pg 44: one item not mentioned is that the earlier distributor MUST be used with the correct carburetor...swapping on a later carb of any type without the spark control valve will lead to various problems.

pg 72: timing chain installation issues as mentioned.

14. photofink

photofink

Wow...thank you, saved all the info and will put it in my book.
    Man I had no idea that they were going for so much! I saw one for sale in the classifieds not too long ago for $75 and I thought the guy was crazy...

15. Paul2748

Paul2748

Yes - in 57, all cars, TBirds and trucks used the "G" head

16. Paul2748

Paul2748

The ironic part is that Carpenter had the book in stock and was selling it for regular price.

17. Fidget

Fidget

Ordered one yesterday. I called them, and she tried to charge me the $19.95 price. I told her that wasn't the sale price on their site, she said "Oh it is? Would you like that price instead?". Duh!

Just saw a copy on ebay for $35 plus $7.50 shipping.

18. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

Yup I saw the same auction. I almost ordered two to try and sell one to pay for the other. About my luck though I'd get stuck with them both. Thanks for the tip homespun!