Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 OLDS visable hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageozarks, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Just got a call from a guy that cleaned out his barn wrapped in cardboard was a ? 49 OLDS hood with the port holes and plexaglass so you could see the engine. Does any one have any more info on these hoods. I heard they were sent to a few dealers just for demo purposes.Any info about this will be appreciated, Thanks Larry Henry [email protected] :confused:

2. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

Ford did the same thing in '54 to introduce the "Y" block.

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Ford did the same thing in '54 to introduce the "Y" block" and also in '32! There was a clear wrap around hood for '32 display.

5. Any one got any ideas of value ??? Larry

6. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Not for sure,but alot.
    It is more valuable if it has the light assy. in it.
    There is a near perfect Olds convert here in town that has this hood and light assy.
    John would know what it's worth.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Neat. I wondered if this had been done. I always thought it would be neat to TASTEFULLY display an impressive engine with plexiglass windows, i.e. NOT like Greased Lightning.

8. belair

belair

port holes? thought that was buick.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

These window hoods were sent to every Olds agency just as Ford did to the Ford agencies in 1954 to show off the new 239 OHV Y-block.
    They usually came with a light kit and a chromed accessory engine dress-up kit.
    I've never seen an Olds window hood except in pictures but have seen and owned a couple of Ford ones.

10. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I saw one for the olds on eBay some time ago, the whole hood was clear, not just over the engine - If I remember it was bid around 5k and did not hit the reserve! I would love to have one just to hang in the office.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

BobK has one I believe.
    The first one I ever saw in person was back in the early 90's and it was just the center of the hood that was plexiglass, with stainless trim around it, certainly no portholes. The guy that owns it, still, is in OH and has a HUGE collection of 1949 & 1950 Oldsmobiles. Over 50 last time I checked.

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Add '60 Corvair to the list of the plexiglas hood club. There was one in the warehouse of my grandfather's Chevrolet dealership when I was a kid. It was completely clear.

13. There's one on a car that has been in the mags the last year or two...although not build the style of this board. Orange, street rod, billet style, owned by a guy in NW Arkansas. I forget what mags it's been in and don't seem to have any pictures of it...although I saw it at an indoor show in Jan. Talked to the owner and he said it was a dealer display item, as has already been stated.

14. Just talked to the owner & what he called port holes .(which I said Buick? ) They are visible windows on each side still with the paper on them,Just took it out of the box .He said the address was from J Maccombs 201 Washington Holly Michigan ? If this means any thing Sent to J&R service Danville VA. The guy called me and ask What to do with it. His daughter said it would make a good sled.I said WOAH Lead Sled topper.Any way he wants a fair price for? it I will have pics later Thanks Larry Henry [email protected]

15. Doug F.

Doug F.

There was one, on a car, at the car show in Illinois the day after the Pile-up.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There was a Ford at the Turkey run last week that had one. They are cool for a museum display I guess but they ruin the lines of a car. IMHO. I wouldn't want one on my car. Then again if I had 50 of them, 1 with a window hood couldn't hurt.:D

17. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I saw a '54 Ford with a show room hood at a car show in St. Louis we went to, i've always thought it would be cool to have one on an olds though.

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Here is the one I have hanging on the wall of my garage, I beleive it's for a 51/52 Olds.

[​IMG]

B:)B

19. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

BobK, Your style is the one that were distributed to the dealers for the 51' Olds. I've seen a couple of them over the years. They gotta be worth a lot to the right collector.

20. huffreport

huffreport

Hi Larry,

Here's one I spotted a couple of years ago in Vegas...

[​IMG]

21. Rusty Hoard

Rusty Hoard

Here's one I recently found in Wisconsin and have for sale in the parts section.

Attached Files:

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They were probably an accessory offered to dealers for display purposes. I doubt every dealer had one, but they could buy one if they wanted.

In 1964 I saw a new Corvair at a car show with a full plexiglass hood (over the rear engine). The car belonged to the local Chev dealer.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This one has been on E-Bay now for a while at $795. I've seen a few others around this price.

Attached Files: