Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Dirt Tracker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Nov 26, 2007.

1. I got home Saturday night with the new project, brought it back from Sedalia,Mo. I'm not sure which direction it's going in yet, but it sure is cut down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I know that garage. :)

Glad you had a good trip and take care of that "cherry" Missouri tin.

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So do I !

hey ya Phil!

4. Both of you guys are welcome back any time. BenD I was looking for ya on the road just incase we were traveling in the same direction. I spotted a guy with a model A coupe in the back of his truck in Ill. and a restored 40 sedan on a trailer in Ind. some holiday old car travelin.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I'm not sure which direction it's going in yet, but it sure is cut down."

Hmmmm........Buffalo,, eh?
    How about making it into a snowmobile ?? :D :eek:

6. I got "rat rod" so many times in Mo. I was about to puke then some guy said 3 wheel trike, I thought rat rod was sounding pretty good after that...lol

7. john56h

john56h

8. Crash T Throttlebottom

Crash T Throttlebottom
    from Turlock,Ca

You got a real piece of history there. So many of these ol' warriors were crushed and lost forever. The two in this pic are a '30 (?) Model A that's been a racer for about 15 years. It has a P/U frame but the other one is a ' 34 Ford original jalopy that was last raced in Montana circa 1954. Hope to have her on the track in '08.:D

Attached Files:

9. john56h

john56h

Crash T, that #8 looks remarkably well preserved. I hope you are going to do it up in true 50's/60's style. Here's mine...1933 Chevy former oval racer found in the woods of Westchester County, NY. Last raced about 1968 or so.

[​IMG]

See a chronicle of the build so far, here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165476

10. The pictures and link were cool, this one has the original frame from the firewall back with the roll cage and push bar welded on, plus other sorts of brackets and parts...lol It came with 48 front and rear ends too, the front has a front disc conversion with Howe wide 5 discs.
    It looks like they split the body down the middle and just over lapped them and welded it back together. I think it's the rear half of a tudor with the windsheild frame and cowl welded to that.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love old dirt track cars.... John's 33 Chevy is one of my favorite hot rods. I like the frame he used in it, I always thought that was a slick idea.

Crash, your '34 jalopy is way cool too!! We need more pictures!!

12. cool,do you know any history of the car???

13. Crash T Throttlebottom

Crash T Throttlebottom
    from Turlock,Ca

John, You're doin' it up right! Checked out your build page and she's comin' along nicely. FYI, Drivelines were very much the flavor of that era as many an old dirt tracker I have seen used them for roll cage material. The gas tank was many times a 5 Gallon Jeep Can strapped into the trunk area. I once owned a Super that had a gas pedal made from a garage door hinge!! They would use anything back then and were a different breed of men FOR SURE!! I have an ol' school Halibrand Q/C and will run a 300 Ford inline 6. Our rules are setup so Flatties and Inlines have no Cu. In. / Carb. Restrictions (no injection, Blowers,ect) while OHV V-8's are 360 Max, flat tappet with a 4412 Holley. Seems to work out really well. Mine is gonna be a racer only with center steering , fuel cell and whatnot but will be built as close to ol' school as possible. We're kinda stalled on it right now and it may not make it in '08. Good luck with yours. You gotta SUPER start:D

14. racing from the past

racing from the past

[​IMG]

One of the most famous super modifieds of the Kansas/Oklahoma area from the 60's and early 70's. Owned by Kenny Riffel and driven by the late Frankie Lies
    I almost fell out of my chair when I seen this post until I opened the pic larger.
    It gives me hope this car above might still be around, but it's looking less and less.

15. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

the frame was wrecked in 1962 in Marshall, Mo. Jay Lyles drove it off the 3 and 4 corner on a high bank ..it was rebuilt about 5 years ago. there was 150lbs of lead in the left front frame corner. the body? no one really knows. it was sat in a junk yard in Marshall from 62-63 until like 1985. I was a the Marshall Tractor Service car blue #55. it says "Scam Bug" on the front visor. A couple ol timers from around here say it was the one of the first 4 bar rear end car in this area. The frame original had a 23 T cowl on it with an aluminum body pop rivited together in the wreck it was trashed.

16. racing from the past

racing from the past

17. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

This car is said to be one of Bill Utzs cars

18. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

[​IMG]this car is from George Town. its still sitting in the garae up there...rumor has it that this guy was a KKK leader

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Could be a 60s mod from the Wisconson area, where they took the term "cutdown" seriously.

Attached Files:

20. 55 f350

55 f350

i'm looking for the picture i got of my grandpas old a bone modified from the late 50's . it had a full tilt flatty with a 180 degree crank in it , made some really cool noises . now if i can just find the pic ....... i had a vinyl sticker of it made that graced the back window of my pick 'm ' up for the longest time and thats the last time i remember seeing it ........

21. Thanks Dane, you should have written all the info down for me so I knew what to tell someone...lol I thought the way the cage fit the body it was allways on that frame. That torque tube put a dent in the roof of my cab when it came loose down at my mom's place too, I never seen that coming.

22. john56h

john56h

23. No, I've allways been a drag racer, I don't think I would ever put this back to compete, my back is pretty much shot. I don't know the first thing about roundy round racing to be honest about it.

24. TerryE

TerryE

Awesome find...........thanks for sharing

You got some work ahead of you......only 6 months till the Jalopy Showdown.

25. john56h

john56h

Even if you don't plan to race it, the MVSCC has a class for "show". Also, just networking with some of the members would no doubt make a wealth of knowledge available....and maybe some parts too.

The Ackerman family is big in that club and they have similar cars, plus they are flat-head experts. There is a phone number listed for them on the club website where the 50's class pictures are.

26. I know some of you guys will hate this but I tossed some stuff together for a look see tonight. I kinda like it but not sure yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. john56h

john56h

28. Nhra888

Nhra888

I would love to know what else you know about the track in Marshall back in the day