Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Special straight 8 questions for the HAMB faithful

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thecarfarmer, Nov 25, 2007.

1. So my dad up and buys this little '39 40 series coupe.

Pretty nice little car; dual intake/exhaust, and seems to run fairly well after tinkering with the ignition.

He calls me up this morning, and tells me that he's talked to the previous owner who says it's a 263 in the car. I don't know why, but I thought the '41-2 twin carb intake wouldn't fit a 263. Anyway, the guy who sold the car is about Dad's age (you young whippersnappers) and Pop thinks the other old guy might be remembering it wrong.

Okay, question 1: how do we ID the motor as a 248 or 263?

Now don't go anywhere... more questions for the Buick faithful.

Previous owner also says that the gearbox was changed with one from a bigger car, which means that 2nd gear is different.

Question 2: Can this be done; are the transmission cases and outputs dimensionally interchangeable?

I guess the tree didn't grow far from where the apple fell - Pop's started fooling with this car before he even got the title swapped. First to go was the goofy weighted flapper deal under the rear carb. Of course, now it has a monster bog if you jump on it fast, but he's going through another 'front' carb to put on the back so it'll have accelerator pumps fore-n-aft to take care of that issue.

Then Dad asks me if the Carters were considered a better running carb than the Strombergs. Hmmm... I didn't even know Carters came on old GMs. But I've only touched a handful of GM cars of any age in my whole life. If my hazy memory serves, I think I was told that the old Stromberg 1bbls would run a little harder than the Carter/Ball 'n' Ball on MoPar sixes.

So, questions 3 & 4: Did old GMs come with Carters as well as Stromberg? If so, which is better (performing)?

Thanks in advance for everyone who posts info on this!

-bill

2. Well, the trannies are interchangeable as far as the input shaft and bellhousing. I don't know about the guts since the cases are different. Maybe someone dropped in a later series 40 engine with a series 50/60 tranny.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The "other" carb was susposed to act the same as secondarys on an AVS Carter. Looks like to primary carbs should work better.

4. eltiberius

eltiberius

5. Jr.

Jr.

You might want to check out teambuick.com . They have a straight eight section in the forum. There is some good info on what fits and where. Jr.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Almost all '41-2 compound carb setups (which fit '36-'53 248-263 engines) ended up with solid linkage on 97s or Holley/Fords ... make sure you have a source for dist. vacuum. Better yet would be a dual point conversion plate using 2 sets stock points & full mechanical advance. 6 volt system need not be changed if maintained & adjusted correctly.
    If the trans has a 6 bolt lid, it's a 60-70-80-90 series, & a '36-8 same series shifter will make it a floor shift.
    Some 9 to 1 pistons & a reground cam with larger valves really wake these "Banker's Hot Rods" up.
    Axle ratio will need to be dealt with when it's all together. Several straight 8 Buick sites out there as others have suggested.
    Hope Dad has a pair of 30" steelpacks and tailpipes under the bumper ...

7. Right now this car is (pretty much) stock. It's been converted to 12V, but that's about it.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm gonna' forward this to Dad.

-bill

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If it is a later 263, you've got the advantage of insert rod bearings instead of babbit.

9. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

If its got the big roadmstr/century trans, its bullit proof as far as used with a 263.That is buicks answer to the cad/lasalle trans. 1939 had a one of a kind trans, it was the first column shift, and had a cable operated selector. a floor shift will work as is. I had a 39 special coupe w 263 and it needed a taller gear rearend. you can use a 39 century rear end. I have heard that later torq tube buick RR ends can be used by milling the pumpkin case, not sure about that though?
    dynaflow gear ratios are great.