Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best "rubber dip" for tool handles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebbsspeed, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a lot of tools where the rubber coating from the handles is long gone. What's the best product out there to recoat with? Give me the good and the bad, so I know what products to NOT use as well.

Thanks!

2. yekoms

yekoms

Good question. I'm wonderin'also.
    I heard of recoatin' the 60's style factory spark plug wire holders with that stuff too.
    I'll check in the McMaster Carr book on monday. They have good quality stuff. Smokey

3. kopis

kopis

If you check out eastwood's website, you can find that stuff there. It works good. You buy it in a can, dip your item into the liquid, and bam, its done!

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I used the stuff from Eastwood to recoat the spark plug wire holders on my car and it worked pretty well. Once the seal on the can is broken, though, it dries up pretty fast even if you put the cap back on tight.

5. mustube

mustube

What about the bedliner stuff you can buy at the autoparts stores? I would imagine that would work pretty well.

6. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I've used Performix Plasti Dip without a problem. Easy to use - clean the part, dip, let dry - even I could do it.

Similar to the stuff from Eastwood - got mine from the Home Depot.

If you cover the top of the can tightly with aluminum foil before replacing the plastic cap, it can last quite a while.

I just used mine again for the first time in almost 6 years.

your experience may vary...

dv

7. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i used the plastidip stuff from HD but when i cleaned a pair of pliers with wd40, it ate up the plasic coating, got all slimey and sticky, i had to remove it.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've used the plasti-dip stuff from Home Depot as well, so far so good. I've not cleaned anything with WD40 lately. Hell, I've not cleaned anything lately!
    If you use it for small parts, you'll have a little titty on the bottom where it drip dries, like a stalactite. That might not look good on plug wire holders.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

[If you use it for small parts, you'll have a little titty on the bottom where it drip dries, like a stalactite. That might not look good on plug wire holders.[/quote]

Trim with an exacto knife or a razor blade...........done.

Frank

10. Richard Head

Richard Head

I used plasti-dip on some spark plug wire holders I made. It didn't hold up that well. If I did it again, I would dip them in some unthinned catalyzed paint.

Dave