Register now to get rid of these ads!

the "sit n stare"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHORM, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

and EVERYBODY's got a favourite tunnel to hear their exhaust in:)

2. The Shocker

The Shocker

I can relate to that i have 2 favorite tunnels and before i get to them i will roll both windows down (no matter how cold it is ) and turn the radio down.I also sit on the porch when i get home every day and sip on a beer while staring at my hotrod.Of course i anticipate this before i park it ,so i try to park it in a cooler looking way every time.I need professinal help i know...

3. Yup, it's what I do at the end of every work session out in the shop. Gives you a chance to admire what you've accomplished and think about what's next. Sometimes I'll do this even if I ain't worked on nothin for days. Different angles of view also.

4. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

I think, maybe we need to get lives............................

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

In my experience, staring only means not having to do it twice or even three times. It's half the process.

6. eightbanger

eightbanger

I do it all the time too. Visualizing. Look at the lines,..think about what the next move is going to be and what its going to look like. Its kinda like the "measure twice ..cut once" thing . Sometimes I go down to the garage and look at it just to admire it.

7. roddinron

roddinron

A friend of mine calls it "bonding with the car".

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Often times, on a nice warm day, if I'm working under my car, I'll do the task at hand and lay there, contemplating. Before long I realize I've fallen asleep......again.

9. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I do the same thing. But...Sometimes I wake up and think what the hell was I thinking!! :D

10. bonesy

bonesy

It is my favorite past-time.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I always thought that I developed the "Stare" from my father but then again, I used to think that I was the only one that who could tell that my cars drove better when I washed them. I think it's in our DNA to stare at our work.....even if it's no good.

12. Doug F.

Doug F.

I have 4 stare-worthy cars and only a 2 car garage. I do most of my staring in the driveway.

13. solo_909

solo_909

lol this is soo funny = ) my car sits outside infront of my g/f's house and everytime I go there i stare at it. Even when im walking to her door my eyes are on my merc haha I thought I was the only strange one that did this.

14. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

A concrete and cardboard "mattress", a couple Budweiser's and looking up at the underside of a car is the best cure for insomnia there is.;)

I usually sit with my back to my work bench with a cold one or coffee depending on the time of day and temperature and a cigar either planning what I'm going to do, basking in the glory of what I have just done, or trying to remember where the hell I put something......

15. bobw

bobw

I'm building a hot rod with my 16 year old grandson. I have shown him the importance of the "sit n stare". It took several repositions and stare sessions to get the radiator shell in the right position. Also, I have pics of my cars on the computer and frequently run a slide show of them since they are stored for the winter.

16. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I sometimes go out in the garage and sit, or stand and stare at mine, even if i have NOT done anything new to it...
    I am always re-evaluating it, but, at the same time...just enjoying looking at it!
    I think I'll go look at it now...or maybe I should start looking at my truck, or it will never get done in time to beat the Rebel Reaper at next years Showdown drags!:D

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I thought I was the only one who did this. I stare at what I did and then I get out my build book and look at the first photo. It's a pic of the frame sitting on jack stands after it got dropped off. Reflection is good for the soul, man.

Hey, any of you guys ever check yourself out in the reflection of stores when you cruise? I used to do this back in the day and always catch people doing it.

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I wanted a 55 for almost 30 years til I got mine 2 years ago. Spent over 1 year putting it back up and it's been in my driveway or garage for over a year now. I can't see it outside or open the garage door without looking it over at what I've done so far or without thinking about what changes I want to make or what still needs doing. Regardless of why I do whatever, I just stand there looking at it. Glad to see I'm not strange or as retarded as my kids think. Thanks for making ne think I might just be a normal hot rod freak

19. Black Primer

Black Primer

I've even been known to fondle mine occasionally !

20. Anderson

Anderson

I usually sit and stare from at least 3 different view points during each session. Last weekend I sat -in- the car for the first time, that induced about an hour long stare featuring a shit-eating grin and a handful of vroom vroom noises.

21. isn't that called THC? The Highly Comfortable? what did you say?:D :D

22. NO SHIT,EH !!!

23. E Burfield

E Burfield

I'm Guilty Also. Sometimes I Even Eat Dinner In It.