Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc chop week 3 and fuel pump ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, May 10, 2004.

1. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

O.K. Here it is. The start of putting the back window in. Reliefs cut and 49' Merc surround in place of 51' window surround. Sheet metal butt welded to fill space in the deck behind window.Next week, fill sides and reliefs with sheet metal.
    O.K., now my question: I keep having problems with an electric fuel pump, the one I have on the car seems not to be getting enough current. It's barely audible when turned on. I pulled the line at the pump and it's pushing gas but not alot and at the carb not at all. The Battery is fully charged, tank full, Painless relay dedicated to the pump, and the pump relatively new (altho a cheap Purolater. The more expesive ones give me even more trouble than they're worth) I can't seem to figure this one out and it's 3 weeks to paso. Any ideas?
    Thanks-stick I'll keep you posted on the chop.

Attached Files:

2. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

First tack welds.

Attached Files:

3. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Rear deck sheet metal.

Attached Files:

4. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Deck.

Attached Files:

5. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Rear.

Attached Files:

6. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Close up.

Attached Files:

7. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Profile. I'll keep y'all updated. 'Til next week, later. -stick
    Don't forget this is not a tech post. Just sharing an experience.

Attached Files:

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Bumpstick!
    They work looks great!

Regarding your fuel pump issue....Toss that Purolator in the trash. Get a Carter #P4070 (other versions available for Hi-Performance engines) and install it near the gas tank and away from heat sources like exhaust. The Carter is mounted in rubber gromments in a metal bracket so it's quiet and will pump 72 Gallons Per Hour which should be more than enough for a stock or even slighty modified ones. If you need more, get the #P4600HP Carter pump.
    These pumps are cooled by the fuel as it's surrounds the armature, and are the most reliable electric pumps on the market over the last 50 years.
    Be certain that you have a large quality fuel filter installed BEFORE the electric pump, to ensure that all dirt is kept out of the pump.
    If you have any other questions, PM me.
    Glenn

9. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

On your fuel pump question...

1. Wiring? I just installed a Carter electric pump and used the recommended 14ga wire. No relay, mine is hooked to the battery via a toggle switch. Comes on instantly and sounds good!

2. Ground? I never trust any component to work properly using just a body ground...especially on an old 40s vintage rustbucket like mine! I'd recommend a dedicated ground wire run from the pump to the negative battery cable or to a junction block like I use.

3. Relay? Is your relay a fuel pump relay? Is it designed for a "constant on" circuit, or is it a starter or horn relay? Is the relay hooked up properly so that the battery current is directed through the right channel and the switching circuit is the trip wire?

(If wired backwards, your relay may be trying to feed the pump through the switch side!)

Also, check your battery voltage with a multi-meter. Check it at the battery, then at the pump. Make sure you're getting full voltage to the pump.

If all else fails, get a new pump!

10. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Thanks for the info guys. The relay is for fuel pumps. I know it's wired properly I just drove it to Vegas and back with no problems before I put her in the garage for the chop. Where can I get the carter pump? The parts stores in L.A. suck unless I'm looking for Yosemite Sam floormats or cheap gold doodads. Thanks again. -stick

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I just put one of those Carters on my car...stole it from my buddy Jay! [​IMG]

Jegs still lists them in their newest catalog for about $50.

It's a sweet pump...I plan to buy a spare when the car is on the road! [​IMG]

12. mikes51

mikes51

The chop looks real good, great shape by the rear window.
    Smart move with the plywood support I see. Wish I had thought of that.

[​IMG]

There are two purelator type pumps, use the one which has more fuel pressure than the other. Also inspect any rubber lines for leaks, specifically lines between the pump and the gas tank. Mine has been working for a few years, it's located close to the gas tank. Yep, they are only good for a few years.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just a question. Was the battery hooked up when you were welding on the car? Sometimes you can damage electronics when welding on a car with the battery hooked up. It's like playing craps. It doesn't happen every time, but occasionaly.

14. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Oh Oh. Did I crap out I'll check it out tonite.

15. Thanks for sharing your experience. The car is really taking shape. '51's are my favorite and yours is looking Good.

Joel [​IMG]

16. lownslow

lownslow

eddie, you are a ruler my friend.......it looks awsome......now finish it up so we can paint it shiney!!!!!!! haha. really dud eit looks great . i am impressed......

17. daign

daign
    from socal

Bumpstick-

You don't happen to live off of Mulholland do you? I was checking out a house at the end of your culdesac I think one day. You may have seen me turn around in your driveway in the convertible lincoln. That merc looks awfully like the one I saw tucked in the garage...

Small world. We were nearly neighbors. That thing is killer without the chop, now its wicked.

-Dane

18. That chop is really looking sweet.

As for the pump Make sure you have a good ground and check the voltage at the pump.
    As the previous post said its always good practice to disconnect the Batt befor welding.

19. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hey Dane, yes I do live at the end of the street and I remember that Lincoln. That was probably me giving you the evil eye (sorry). Rich guys in Porches tear ass up and down my driveway without stopping and looking for kids or dogs and it pisses me off. You shoulda stopped and introduced yourself (cheap beer in the garage fridge) Where do you live and what house were you checkin' out? pm me for my number-stick

20. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'd put a voltmeter on the pump and make sure you are getting at least 12 volts at idle. You really should be getting 13 to 13.5 volts but 12 volts will work. I'm not a big fan of the Purolater but if it doesn't vapor lock under hot fuel conditions I'd leave it on. I've got one on my shoebox (it was there when I bought it) and it runs just fine so I'm gonna leave it. If it craps out I'll replace it with a Carter. Keep the fuel filtered goin into it, give it lots of voltage and you should be fine.
    BTW the car looks great!!

21. daign

daign
    from socal

Hah that is indeed funny. I was checking out the house next to yours with the second grass lot. Its on the right with the green shutters when you're driving away from your place. I was in the market at the time, but got out when the economy went downhill. I love that area and plan on movin up there one of these days. I don't blame you for giving me the evil eye, I was indeed checking out the merc on purpose. I couldn't resist [​IMG]

22. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

She's alive and back in the garage! I just wanted to thank everyone who piped in on my fuel pump problem. Yes, I fried it while welding. That'll teach me. And one more thing what's with all the Mercs all of a sudden? I'm in heaven. -stick

23. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

That chop line looks great. Nice profile. [​IMG]

24. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hey chopt50, Where have you been? I still want to see pictures of your car. I'll post em' for you. -stick

25. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

try going to (PAWs performance automotive warhouse)for your fuel pump. i go there for all my stuff. it beats going to Kragen or Auto zone. where some pimple face kid doesn't know shit from butter.

if you have a street rodder or Rod n custom mags they advertise in there. check them out.

paw
    21001 Nordhoff
    chatsworth,CA
    818-678-3000