Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cold symptoms after welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Nov 20, 2007.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just Kidding, I know first had about galvanized as I used a liberated street sign for a shock tower brace. It was not a pleasant experience and after only two short welds.......

2. jeffrob

jeffrob

first day of welding class the instructor says two things:

1. If you ain't got a puddle you ain't got shit.
    2. Don't weld galvanized, it can kill you.

I always use a BIG fan, after today when blowing my nose & seeing all that black shit I decided to get a respirator that will fit under the hood.

3. JamesG

JamesG

My old man has Welding induced Parkinson's (manganese poisoning). Wear a resporator people.

4. Scott

Scott

Not galvanized
    An update , about 48 hours later and the symptoms seem to be subsiding:) I dont want to go thru that again!!!!

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Sucks, don't it?

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Doc, I still think you're crazy but a heck of a fun guy!

7. Florian

Florian

I heard that electrowelding is very bad for your lungs, but is this the same with MAG or MIG welding then??

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All welding, anything that super heats any metallic item is BAD for you. I work in the medical profession and see a lot of older boilermakers with some seriously bad lung disorders. Some think its un-cool to weld with out a respirator but I have seen the results of that. I wear on for welding, grinding, cutting, buffing etc..........

9. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Where does this air come from thats blowing down past your nose?

10. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

Did you say cold symptoms after WEDDING?

11. Reverand Greg

Reverand Greg

Do your self a favor and drink some milk to counteract the poisonous fumes and get some sort of air mover get the fumes away from the area.works like a charm

12. Most MIG filler wire is coated with copper and it sure isnt going into the weld, its ending up in the atmosphere that you breathe, in our factory there is only ever 2 max 3 people welding at any moment and the haze that hangs in the ceiling is very thick, but the WORST process ive used is air-arc gouging- the consumable electrode is made of carbon and encased in a thin copper tube. it gets blasted back into the atmosphere by the 100psi air stream used to purge the slag. you feel very bad the night after you use one. ive faced the fact that my profession will send me to an early grave.

13. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Doctors say it can take a week for the incubation period for the germs to make you have a cold/sickness. I doubt you got it from welding.

14. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

15. Scott

Scott

Got back to it today, wore the respirator for cutting grinding and welding. It was more comfy than usual:D

16. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

Look up "Metal Fume Fever"; should be a lot about NOx, heavy metals, etc. Good ventillation is mandatory.

17. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Doing body work everydayi've been there before. Normally I get it from welding in trunks, like floors,rear body panels, inner wheelhouses. I always try to have a fan blowing in the general direction just not where the welding is happening. I also wear a mask. A carbon filter is the best. It lasts about a day, depending on how much you inhaled. Can be as bad as puking and the shits like food poisoning with a fever. Not my favorite thing in the world. Ventillation is the key along with a good mask.

18. Crease

Crease

Welding is bad for ya, but welding galvanized stuff is realllly bad for ya.

You should know by now that anything fun requires proper protection.