Register now to get rid of these ads!

progress pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53dodgekustom, Nov 12, 2006.

1. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

My .02...
    I'm in a similar situation. What I decided was to hold on the paint until I get the metal work done (repair door damage, shave, deck, nose and chop). In my case, painting is going to be the capper to the project, so I can get everything done and then paint it. I just don't want to go to all the trouble of having painted (or doing it at home myself) and then have to redo it. I'd rather just wait and let it go in primer. For what it's worth, I think with all the work that will go into chopping and making it a 2 door, you'd lose most of what you painted, ya know? Just seems like a waste, to me, of time and money.

It looks like you're getting it done, man. Congrats on a good lookin' project.
    Tucker

2. jonski und29

jonski und29

I'm not sure what windows on a two-door look like, but you have to keep the half-moon shape on the rear side windows.

After the chop, you'd almost need to bag it. Keep the front end higher though!

Looks like its coming good. Keep it up.

3. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Update!
    I finally finished floor and raised the driveshaft tunnel. I sand blasted and POR-15'd the inner rockers too. I have the new springs and rear end under it. I shaved the door handles and a few trim pieces. Took a grinder to my tires too. The front clip is at the media blaster now. I can't wait to get it back on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Lookin' real good, I dig the wider whites.

I thought my dad and I were the only ones who still messed around with bodies that rusty ... I didn't think they tended to get that bad in the Midwest.

Good luck with the build.

5. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I got the whole thing back from media blasting the other day. For some reason the guy had trouble getting the stock red oxide primer off.It is super tough paint. He made the primer very rough so I decided to sand it all down to bare metal. Only took about 8 hours and I still have to hand sand all of the edges were I couldn't get the DA. I also found a few more rust spots too but nothing major. Should have a coat of black primer covering it soon.

[​IMG]

I have been working on this the past few days at school. It turned out nice. Started from a 2 1/2 round piece of aluminum. Used a combination of CNC and manual machines to get the job done. Leaned how to use the 4th axis on the mill. Pretty neat stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think of it?

O yeah. How do you change a thread title?

6. That's awesome man! Keep us updated. Are those going to be carb scoops? Is there any speed equipment available for those old mopars?

7. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Yeah that going to be my carb scoop. I wish I had more carbs to put them on though. There is a surprising amount of vintage parts for the Flathead six out there. 2x1, 2x2, and even 3x1 intakes, split manifoilds and even aluminum heads.

8. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I finally got it painted. My friend Alex (ajs88 on the HAMB) helped me tape it off and paint the body all day. I sprayed it myself in my garage. It came out pretty good considering it was my second time painting anything. Then I started putting it back together. Rewired the whole car one wire at a time because the old wiring was way beyond shot and unsafe as hell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took these pics today. I got the inner fenders on and I decided to throw the fenders on to see what she looked like. Not bad for a four door I guess.:cool: All it needs is a new clutch and a few bolts holding on the fenders and it will be drivable. Hoping to get the fenders painted this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NICE SEATS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bobblehead

bobblehead

Tom, It looks amazing. The engine bay turned out a lot better than I what I thought it would. Haha, I guess I can get access to the lift now?

10. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Hell yeah dude. I por-15'd the inner fenders and radiator support gloss black all yesterday. I still have to cut off all of the rainbow colored wire terminal connectors. I friggin hate those things. I need a clutch so we can go cruising for some hot chicks and yell things like HEY, YOUR A DICK!

11. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

Sweet i like it!
    Nice color
    its what i'ma paint the 53'

12. bobblehead

bobblehead

hell yeah man, I wonder what kinda description the cops will recieve. I saw hern burn's car the other day, puttin bags under it.:) Call me up when you get your clutch, I will get in your way for ya.

13. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

It shouldn't be black for to long. Hopefully.

14. formula9788

formula9788

nice car turkey;)

15. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Great to see progress on the dodge. We need more of these getting customized. I realize it's O/T but I would love to see better pics of the beezer in the background. early 60's R60?

16. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

haha..here you go. not as extensive as tom has done to his. but im getting there. he has quite a bit more skills than i do, but im learning at a good rate.

mine is a 54 coronet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

block is in the machine shop. it has the 241 red ram.
    when i get it built and put back in, me and a buddy are notching the frame and airbagging.
    im still thinking about the final color, but its going to be satin black untill i deside.

17. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Hey, Do an intro FREAK!

Ha. Ha.

Shouldn't your name be xtyp0488?

O wait I guess you didn't want everyone to think that you were a stuck up 67 year old man that plays golf at pebble beach everyday. :D

Did you notice the pic of were Alex put turkey on the windshield when we were taping it off?

18. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Hey Nickles your car is looking good. I think it would look good with the Chrome reverse all the way around. I wish mine had the Hemi. But you know what they say, Flathead's forever. You don't need skills to work on a car you just need stupid amounts of determination. My car is all ghetto rigged anyways.

Your signature line is great and o so true.

19. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

haha, well i have setermination. its that time of year when all the weekend rodders and bikers come out and ride around and pissing me off. and i moved to this house about a year ago and alll my friends and shit live 15 miles away, so i have nothing to do anyway.:D

whatcha mean by that, the chrome. my fleet supervisor wants me to hurry up on the motor(like i can go any faster) so he can paint the car. i know i said satin black, but i saw a picture and what do you think, a satin green, kinda like the 67 chevy pale green. i dunno, im kicking it around.

20. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

The wheel on the passenger side front is a chrome reverse wheel. Pale green would look sweet. Flat black is to boring. I didn't want mine flat black but the primer I used only came in white gray or black. O well I have no idea what color I want to paint mine either. Good luck on the engine rebuild. Misfits fukin rule dude!

21. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

i was going back threw this link looking at your car, and realized that you answered my question.

i like the wheels you have on yours. and i still havent desided on the color yet. lately iv been getting alot of work done. i got the front end all stripped down so i can put some por-15 on the frame. and the engine is ready to go back together. had to sent the heads back to the machine shop to get the valve guides ground down more. finally got my cam back and has a 420 lift on it. other than that, its bores .030. so it should be a good running engine. ill post pictures later.

and yeah, they are my favorite. misfits are comming to dallas next month and i cant wait. its going to be badass.

22. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Well, I finally took some pics of it all put back together today. I have been driving it all summer. It made it to the HAMB Drag's and the Pileup. It was the best summer that I have had so far!(thanks Nick)

I met some great people like Johny Sparkle, Lowbrow, aboynamedsue, Rashy, Plowboy and many, many others.

It only had 2 flats, 1 loose coil wire, 2 blown out frieze plugs, 1 loose brakelight switch wire, the turn signal switch broke, 1 dead fuel pump, the accelerator pump is messed up, it died at least 5 times, wouldn't start A LOT, and overheated going up every hill on the way back from the drags. But, I would still take it anywhere.:D

I will be getting some Firestone bias plies and some new wheels in the next few months. I still need to paint the hood and start doing some body work.

I've also been planning on dropping in an early poly motor with a A-833 OD trans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. so.ill.

so.ill.

hey the rides looking nice. have to meet up sometime i'm on the south end of dupo, grew up in columbia probally seen my rig passing though waterloo
    [​IMG]

24. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

25. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Great read after a Thanksgiving feast. Inspirational for sure. The car looks great!

:D Rich

26. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

glad to have you around. when you gonna put a v8 in that? haha

27. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Cool truck! I love those year Fords. 57,58 or 59?

Can't say I have ever seen it though. Nice two tone.

Does it have a Y-block?

28. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Thanks!

29. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

It was good too meet you this summer....When you start your Poly, let me know...I may have some stuff from a 318 Poly that Im doing right now.....

30. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Hey Lowbrow, I am actually planning on going with the early poly. The one that has the hemi block but with poly heads. Not the 318 wideblock poly.

Although I am reconsidering, depends on which one I get a good deal on first.

Thanks.

Hows "Stinkfoot doing?"

Didn't realize that you were such a big Mopar fan at the Pileup. You have some really sweet rides.

Mopar for ever.