Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH request. How do you read a venier caliper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Dial Calipers evolved from Vernier Calipers.

For some reason,most people use the wrong name.

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

i call mine a scriber.

:D

yes i use it to scribe lines while doing layout, i don't feel bad about it, i use up a dial caliper about every two years, it's always something else that goes bad, not the points...

3. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

I have this oooold Greenfield Tap & Die decimal equivalent chart hanging on the wall next to my drill press.

Frank, a friend of mine wanted to get a copy of this made for his garage... let me know if you want one too (assuming he decides to have it done)

[​IMG]

- Matt

4. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Vernier calipers were first, and are considered old school. Then for those who were challenged with matching lines they created the Dial Calipers. There were still some that had a hard time knowing what they saw on the dial. Then came the Digital Caliper, which in todays world if you can't read digital numbers you should not be trying to measure anything. I Teach/Evaluate Industrial Mechanics and I'm surprised at the high number that can't use a Set of calipers or micrometers if the don't have a dial or digital readout, much less expect them to give a reading in metric. I relate it to people that can only drive with an automatic, they don't know how to drive only steer. It appears that as they try to make tools easier to use, some peoples brains shuts down to the basic fundamentals.

5. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Stroke, thats a cool chart, I'm thinkin if you copied that you could sell some