Register now to get rid of these ads!

Astro supremes timeline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadendcruiser, Nov 20, 2007.

1. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Building my 56 Buick with mid 60's custom in mind. Anyone know how early supremes started showing up on the scene? Or should I not really worry about it and use them anyway, because they'll look sweet.

2. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

1964......For sure 65.........And your right They are Sweet!!!

3. I'm pretty sure it was around 64-65 in the magazine Ads. But I remember them actually showing up on cars a bit later than that. But, me, I'm not into splitting hairs on "period" parts. If I like something, and it's not too far off, I use it. Fuck what the critics say. Build it to please yourself.

4. drock6570

drock6570

think it was early to mid 60's , dont even worry about it bro! Build what you wanna drive~

5. Nomadness

Nomadness

Get the Astros, I had some on 58 Impala around 1969. Been thinking about some 14x7's for my 57 Nomad. Which brand are best US, Allied or Unique?

6. skratch

skratch

suprems were not in style in that period ,that was a low rider thing ..

.but ,chrome reverse ,americans torque thrust ,halibrands ,painted wheels no caps ,pick up a couple of the old mags .

7. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

HMMM............My old mags show alot of cars running supremes and there not lowriders.

They weren't as popular as Cragars,Chromes or 5 spokes but they were around.

I remember a local guy in about 68 with a set on a White 64 SS Impala and that car was sharp...

8. You're exactly right!

9. skratch

skratch

i misread ..the lead in all i saw was 60's ..yeah .y'all are right ..mid 60's ..that's when the new wheels did started building up speed ...

10. DrJ

DrJ

Astros, with skinny whites, perfect for mid sixties.
    IF you have any thoughts towards running WWW's, (wrong for any style past '61 other than ghetto pimp car) they are WRONG on Astros. In that case go with Buick Skylark style Chrome wiresand call it a late 50's style.
    Skylarks are the ones with the small hub and fake knock off and the exposed lugs.
    (I have one bolted to the front porch with the garden hose coiled up on it)
    The big hub wires with the lugs hidden under the cap are Chrysler/Imperial or Tbird style.

The stock Buick wheels, reversed and chromed are good for any era.

11. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

I am definitely not a ghetto pimp. I'll go with the skinny whites. Thanks for low down.

12. knotheads

knotheads

i had a set of supremes on my 57 chevy in 1968

Attached Files:

14. twofosho

twofosho

Yup, I gotta agree with Dr J. He's right on about the narrow white walls. Pretty much offered across the board in 62, both OEM (original equipment) and replacement (aftermarket), and wide white walls disappeared seemingly overnight for the most part. I remember the Astros being the most heavily advertised in 63-64, and even so, I never really saw that many on the street at the time. Cragar SSs were the wheel of choice if you could afford them and usually run with blackwalls. Definitely the case where I went to school in those years.

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Pinner whites only look good on the bigger cars Dr J. I'd say 58 and later. The earlier 50's cars look the bees knees with wide whites and Astro's.

If I had a 56 Buick, I'd go with wide whites and Astro's. I certainly would not give a crap when a wheel was available if I liked it and I SURE AS SHIT would NOT take a grouchy old man's advice and run a wheel he OPENLY admits to using as a garden hose caddy.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I asked an older friend. he said 1965

17. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

hmm,i would say 2002-early 2006...somewhere around there...:)

my dad was running astros as early as 67-ish....

[​IMG]

18. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

19. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Here what mine looks like... I liked the look , so I bought it....

Attached Files:

20. laid55

laid55

here's a pic of my Dad's 57'in 66'.going to winter formal dance.
    [​IMG]

here's my godfather's 58'.the pics say 67'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my nomad in 06'.
    [​IMG]

21. Orn

Orn

I think they look great with www.

[​IMG]

22. This is from someone who was there in the sixties:
    Supremes were around in the mid sixties, WWW were considered for old folks or pimp/gangsters.

All the pics of Supremes with WWWs are recent cars.

Back on Bellflower Blvd, the hot set up was the Wide Oval. It had a very narrow white stripe.

Wanna use WWWs and be era correct? Then use hubcaps.

23. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I'm still trying to find the older Astro slotted mag wheels.

24. Orn

Orn

If that’s the truth I’m rather be a pimp or a gangster but old? No way :eek: :cool:

25. DrJ

DrJ

Whether any of you guys/girrls LIKE www's on '60's era wheels or not isn't and wasn't THE QUESTION!
    THE QUESTION was about whether they are ERA CORRECT for the TYPICAL car of the era.
    I was 16 in '64 and remember clearer what the style was in the mid '60s than what I was doing last week, as does Chili Phil.

The only www's I think look at all "right" are 5 spoked type wheels are '50's style American mags with M&H slicks which were recapped on Vogue www carcasses.

ETA:
    Just wanted to add that I got nothing against "Ghetto Pimp Cars" aka "Pussy Packers".
    I find them "entertaining" to look at.

But they are a different art style from what is now known as a Bellflower style custom.
    They were more common just West of the Long Beach Freeway from Bellflower.
    Typically, they would be a big 4 dr sedan. usually a Caddy with an over padded vinyl top with gold landau bars and a "V" TV antenna on the trunk. Some even had the TV inside!
    And they ran those www's that cover the rib all the way to the tread like on that 4 dr fleetline above.
    Most custom guys ran the narrower www's and left the to the tread whites to the '30's Packard type guys.

Like all the ground scraping "traditional rods" that wouldn't get a block down the road without getting ticketed into the junk yard back in the day, a lot of what gets done today is only a cartoon of what was really done.
    Just don't expect all us old bastards to just sit and nod with a smile when asked if it's correct to a particular timeline.

And Vikings didn't wear water buffalo horns on their battle helmets either, except in Hollyweird movies...

Ya don't run both Lakes pipes and Bellflower pipes at the same time either.
    :cool:

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Look in OLD car mags from the mid-late 60's....there are quite a few cars running WIDE WW on rods and customs........

Certain areas of the country took longer to "catch up" (so to speak) to the 'trends' generally set by California.......

27. DrJ

DrJ

Yea, Like the Sam Barris Merc, etc. but they weren't that common on the street.

I'm talking "typical" here.

28. Hmmmmm, this is looking like someone needs to start a thread on 21st Century style.

Visualize, if you will, a 1950 Plymouth 4 door, laid out on the ground with airbags, Mexican blankie interior, Big ol' skull shift knob, WWWs on Supremes or Crager SSs, straight pipes, lots of gaudy striping over faded paint (or flat black)... Perfect example of a "Traditional" 21st Century car.

29. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You forgot to add.....not that common on the street............."In Cali..."
    Many states were/are "behind the times", as much as 5 or so years.....so many guys in these states were running WWW on their rods and customs up into the mid sixties, maybe @ 1967/8.......;)

30. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

"Astros, with skinny whites, perfect for mid sixties.
    IF you have any thoughts towards running WWW's, (wrong for any style past '61 other than ghetto pimp car) they are WRONG on Astros. In that case go with Buick Skylark style Chrome wiresand call it a late 50's style."

PERSONALLY, I responded to YOUR OPINION.........NOT factual statement. :rolleyes: I think 58 Chevy's look SOOO much better on pinners and Astro's. I took my www's off and went Pinner/Astro.