Register now to get rid of these ads!

DENIED by American Hobbyist Insurance!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrDano, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

i have insurance thru a local outfit here, i think its Nodak Mutual.

my t has a agreed upon value of 10k with a no paint Rider, 71 dollars a year.

The edsel has a 17.5k agreed value withno such Paint rider so if its paint damage they will cover it. 125 a year.

ive never had a claim to an insurance company, and my record has been clear for 8 years. Im happy with it i guess.

2. lolife

lolife

I got a vehicle appraisel from a local guy, took pictures from all four sides, dropped it off at State Farm office, and the lady clerk called late in the afternoon, as said I was good to go. Insured for value.

It's been my experience in the insurance business, you get what you pay for. My agent has been nothing but helpful in claims for past disasters. He even bought me a new roof in the 80's for my house, even though the tornado missed me by 2 miles.

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I've been with Farm Bureau for longer than I can remember. They charge me $14 a month for liability only. I can't see buying full coverage on a $5000 ride. I do get a letter every three months wanting to know the current mileage,I just send it back with a note that 1928 Fords did not have an odometer.

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Grundy here

No matter who you chose just make sure you know your policy and what it covers and it's limitations. When you get your policy in the mail, turn the TV/computer off and sit down and read it. I know it's boring BUT you should be aware of what you are paying for.

5. I have liability insurance on my dirt t 10000 miles per year $50.00/year

6. flynstone

flynstone

i have j c taylor...........7 cars 600 a year...yes they are all garaged wink wink

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Just keep Allstate, get a certified appraisal.
    Allstate's corporate policy is an appraisal overrides "market value" everytime.
    I have the '50 Burb with them, full coverage, no limits, no garage, 60K valued coverage if a loss. Pretty damn cheap as well.

8. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

Dirt T, What company?

9. john56h

john56h

My cars are insured with JC Taylor. I've never had to make a claim....so I have no experience with their customer service regarding claims. They seem pretty easy to please otherwise. If the car is valued under $20,000 all they ask for is a picture.

They charge a $50.00 minimum annual premium. My required liability, unisured motorist, etc...adds up less than $50, so I add the comp & collision coverage at a rate that brings me up close to the minimum. I've been paying $66.00 for my 64 Olds with the better liability coverages and a stated value of $5000 for the comp & collision.

I don't think they have a maximum annual mileage...but you are supposed to only use the car for hobby purposes and it is supposed to be garaged.

10. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

My stuff is with American National and there CHROME program. Its specifically designed for the entire spectrum of cars, form the primered hot rods to the trailer queens. I should know, I sell for the company. Give them a try.

11. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

I use State Farm and JC Taylor - never had any hassels. I use them because I know that if I have a claim it will be painless. You get what you pay for. I have heard nightmare stories from Progressive, AIS, Eastwood, etc...... You have to think what's more important to you, just having the insurance card or actually being able to collect on a claim for full value if that ever happens.

12. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Better be careful with State Farm and other non-specialty insurers. They write stated value policies, which is very different from agreed value.

13. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

392 Hemi hit the nail right on the head!

14. RF

RF

Yessir, that is a huge deal when it comes to insuring old cars. The last thing anyone wants is some 'tard deciding how much, if anything, their damaged classic is worth. But, even with Agreed Value policies, there can be hidden clauses--AAA for instance, has some tiny little saying about the vehicle's owner being "with" the vehicle when/if damage occurs...if they're not, oh well.

And as for the original reasoning of this post, AHI wasn't out of line in my eyes--seems they made themselves pretty clear. True classic insurance will not cover daily drivers, high-mileage accumulation, or oftentimes work-in-progress or non-garaged vehicles.

15. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I use AAA on my daily driver 59 chevy wagon. I have had nothing but a good experience, and will never use anyone else. They insure it for 15,000, and I am allowed to drive up to 10,000 a year. I pay 475 for the year.

In addition, I came outside 6 months ago to a loud bang, and found a elderly lady had completely side swiped the wagon. AAA was the easiest company to deal with, my car was in a shop with a classic car department, and my car was fixed in a couple weeks.

My 2 cents. . .

16. RF

RF

Their standard coverage is quite different from their classic insurance. I still currently use AAA for auto, but not after this policy expires. I wish I could say I've had nothing but a good experience...wish I could say I've had a good experience at all besides the day I signed up all my vehicles. For some reason, I prefer having an actual "agent", not the next available assistant. That said, I couldn't do without their DMV service, so...

My experience so far, Grundy seems to have one of the best offerings for classic policies. Their guidelines don't seem to be nearly as strict, but more importantly, their coverage limits are a lot higher than many other's.

17. Man, you are getting scrweeeeeed, big time. You shouldn't be paying more then a hundred plus per $5,000 in value. If your driving record is clear and you don't live in some big ass city, why they are charging you that much for a $1500 value amount is beyond me.

WINGED AVENGER

18. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I only mentioned AAA because it seems that most classic car insurance really limits your mileage. I have no experience with classic car insurance, because I put on at least 10,000 miles a year, so I can't comment on it.

19. jscoma47

jscoma47

i use hagerty for my 66 pickup and its 109. per year 7000 coverage and no mileage limitation.they needed to have a copy of my daily driver insurance other than that smooth as can be.they are real helpful on the phones also.

20. noboD

noboD

Next time you are at a major car show talk to an insurance agent. They attend most shows around here, they will fill out the application on the spot. I did this with J.C.Taylor several years ago, been happy with them.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Neither Grundy or Hagerty have mileage "limits". I drive well over 10,000 miles per year. My '47 Olds' premium is less then HALF what your paying for far greater coverage.

Never say never bud. I worked for AAA and left because I didn't care for their business practices. It's great that you've had good experiences so far BUT trust me there will come a time when you'll need them and they will screw you over to save a buck.

www.Grundy.com

22. gas pumper

gas pumper

I've had JC Taylor only for my old cars since 1990. One car was 50 bucks a year. I have the 54 Chevy, 79 Jeep, and a 70 Chevy C-30 flatbed. These cost me 107 a year. I just added a 23 T on a model A frame and they wouldnot add that to the "collector" policy, they stared a new "modified" policy for that car It costs 150 a year.
    They are really easy to work with. I just tell the truth on the application and they undestand old car guys. I've never had a claim or incident, tho.
    They also don't like roll bars, I ain't got any anyway.
    But I also contact them by phone when adding a new vehicle, and they send out the package that's appropriate.

Frank

23. Dropthumbs

Dropthumbs

This is the second time around for me with American Collectors. I had my 54 Chevy convert insured for 25K/100/300/ no deductible on either collision or comp. 192.00 a year for 2500 miles or less, garaged in South Carolina. I am 62 and have a clean record (retired police officer) for almost 40 years. I now have my 29 Speedster insured for 10,500. 40/40 no deductible for 202.00 year. The reason they gave for the lower liability is that the car is "modified" ( no hood, no body,Brooklands screens, banger with headers, stromberg down draft, Mallory ign, open wheels, God Bless South Carolina.... no inspection). I have 100 mile towing ( but I also have AAA, best bargain I know!).
    Dropthumbs

24. i have Hagerty on my 49 shoebox, was really smooth to get all the paper work done. coverage not a problem , great people to deal with over the phone and via e-mail-internet

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've used Hagerty for four toys for about 10 years now. I chose them originally because they were the only collector car insurance company I found that didn't insist on a garage (but I had a carport and a closed gate). They've been generally cooperative about adding cars, increasing the declared value, and so on (admittedly I've had no claims). I did get grilled pretty good about the last new car I added, but when I complained I got an apology and have had good response ever since. I have noticed that the rates have crept up some in the last couple of years.

I tried to change to American Hobbyist a few months ago when Ryan recommended them. I was surprised when their quotes came back significantly higher than Hagerty's, so I've stayed put.

For daily drivers I was with State Farm for 20+ years. I didn't have a problem with them, but when I was approached by AARP/Hartford for an old fart special rate, I checked them out. They were about 40% lower than State Farm, so I moved that coverage.

I think I understand from all this that the underwriter who reviews your app has a lot of discretion about the rates (talking collector insurance here), and that what you get is the luck of the draw.

26. Brian C

Brian C

Sorry to disagree but Hagerty does have a 2500 mile limit. Mind you it does state 2500 personal miles and this doesn't include to and from shows and events.

That being said, I've been with Hagerty for more than 6 years now and I'm very satisfied with them.

27. Watch Progressive. My wife and I had them for 5 yrs. with no issues. Then, she hit a bobcat (no, a REAL bobcat) with her brand new car. The claims person spent about an hour on the phone trying to trip my wife up and get her to say she left the roadway. After 5 yrs. with the same company and ONE $1.8K claim in a "not at fault accident" they tripled our rates at renewal time.
    When I called to bitch, I was told it was because Michigan ins. rates went up across the board..... nothing to do at all with the wifes claim. SURE! I called shenanagins on the lady, got her extension number and told her I'd call right back. Took about 10 minutes to get a new carrier, called the same lady back and cancelled the policy. She actually had the balls to act surprised that we were changing carriers after being "part of their family" for 5 yrs.

28. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

Grundy gets my money.
    1959 t-bird insured for $35k is $280 a year with NO mileage restrictions

29. Lucky77

Lucky77

American Hobbyist denied me simply because of my girlfriend's driving record due to the fact that she lives with me. Never mind the fact that I haven't had a ticket since 2000, just having someone in the same house who's had a ticket in the last three years was enough to disqualify me. I called Hagerty and they sent me a form for her to sign excluding her from driving the insured vehicles and I was all set. American Hobbyist didn't even offer this option. So screw 'em both my sedan and roadster are insured with Hagerty.

30. nexxussian

nexxussian

I've got State Farm on all the stuff I have that's currently driveable (except the Anglia, dad catches that). I wish I had 'collector insurance' I drive more miles than SF considers 'collectible' so I went with a normal full coverage policy on the Model A (my Dakota is my daily).

I remember reading somewhere the difference between 'stated value' VS 'agreed value' but I don't recall the explanation being very clear, could those of you who have been or are in the insurance Biz please explain it in simple terms.