Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Perhaps but related to the field....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, Nov 14, 2007.

1. As a result of too many years of working with impact tools my right shoulder is fucked as we say....I just got a call from my doctor to report Friday for a cortisone shot.Does this shit actually work or benifit the body or just mask the bad shit that is going on in there. I don,t want to further destroy my shoulder just to be able to work a few more years....Also waiting to hear from a surgeon who has to fix/operate on a tendon in my right hand. When the hand closes I have to use my left hand to open the salute finger.Getting old sucks boys so take care of yourself when you are young...

2. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

I hear it can go both ways the cortizone shot that is. Some folks feel great others feel nothing, Sorry to hear about the shoulder even worse the "salute finger"

3. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

hey rat, I had cortizon shots in my spine back in 2000, the needle was huge. The thing about it was that I was sore from the shot for almost a week, I guess because of the location, L4-L5 AND L5-S1 disks, by the time the soreness from getting the shot wore off I only had about 3 days of relief left until everything went back to normal. Hopefully since it's in your shoulder the needle won't have to penetrate so deep, maybe the pain from getting a shot with a needle the size of a 12 gauge wire won't last as long.......

4. kiotes

kiotes

My grandpa get shots in his knees, make him fell 30 years younger. just a temp fix till surgery

5. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I had them in my foot for about 2 years, they helped alot for a couple of weeks at first and helped less and less as time went on. The last few times they didn't help at all so I quit and found another route that has completely cured my problem, but it won't help your shoulder. Hope it works out for you.

6. long island vic

long island vic

they say to many shots will brittle the bone

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sorry to say it only masks the problem.
    once it wears off your back to the same ol shit..or maybe even worse cause you didnt know while on the medication that you were continually doing more damage.
    When i was a laborer in the field, I constanly ran 90# chipping hammers all dam day, wrecking concrete and refractories off of coal bunker walls and all sorts of demo jobs. my wrists are fucked up and my right shoulder is also screwed up, have a few problems with my back too.
    sorry to tell you that all that shot is good for is to keep you moving, it will not fix or reverse a dam thing.
    even some sergery is not a good option..its too bad the body can only take so much abuse.

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Big needle, makes your shoulder feel like it's gonna explode BUT mine had the shot in it 11 years ago and as long as I don't do anything real stupid it's good. I can't throw a football or baseball worth a shit anymore really but I can function . It's worth a try in my opinion I'd do it again if and when the time comes. A torn rotater really screws you up for a while but the shot for me was alot better than surgery

9. Dave Woods

Dave Woods
    from SoCal

Cortizone is serious shit. (steroid). Suggest you have your doc test for allergic reaction, lots of people can't handle it. If it works, you'll feel much better, possibly for 6 months or more before you need another. Gradually you build tolerance and they don't last as long. Beats surgery, though.

10. I go in about once a year for a cortisone shot in either my shoulder or my knee, for chronic arthritis. This stuff is an absolute lifesaver. Its wonderfull!!! It is a steroid anti-inflamatory, and it really works great, with no discernable side effects. The terrible pain that keeps me awake is gone in 24 hours.

11. Thanks for the info and support guys! Its getting so it hurts to reach around and wipe my ass.....Docs office called and its a go Friday morning.Surgeon called and its Dec 13 for a consultation for the surgery. Wish me luck!

12. I would do it. It wont hurt to try.
    I've had them in my wrists, elbows, knees, and shoulder.
    The key is to limit the activity that aggravates it.
    It helps to wrap the joint to limit some movement, and rest it.
    Its time to find a new line of work, at least not so physical.
    I had to stop doing heavy line, then eventually any daily wrenching.
    My problems have nearly gone away, and no shots in over 6 years.
    No surgery either.

13. 41woodie

41woodie

Cortisone in right shoulder to treat a partial rotator cuff tear. After a couple of days about 95% of pain gone. Over the next few weeks regained most range of motion. That was 18 months ago and the shoulder has lost some of the range of motion again and pain is returning slowly but absolutely worth a moment of discomfort. The md deadened the skin with a little liquid nitrogen spray and the needle went in virtually pain free

14. I hear the Cortizone's merely a "mask", not a repair. So, if you're doing something wrong to further the injury, you won't know to stop because of it

15. butch27

butch27

I had one in the shoulder for Bursitis? The damn fluid in the needle thing was so big , I thought it was a joke needle. Sure did work though.

16. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I guess we have some experience here.
    I had 'em in my back months before surgery.
    Almost crawled in to emerg., got the needle and walked out.. standing straight.
    Totally temp. relief but man.. when the pain is bad even temp. relief is great. Doc didn't want to give them too often. Too much not good according to him.
    Just remember to be smart and don't think you are cured after the shot.
    Good luck.

17. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

get the shot before you can't wipe your own ass. I had all I could do before my shot. Somehow I just couldn't seem to use the other arm:D

18. hmmmm i have the sticky salute finger on my right hand also, i don't need to use my other hand to open it yet, but it takes awhile to get warmed up in the mornings (not all mornings though). come to think of it both of my shoulders are starting to wear out (i can go the full range with some pain). i needed to change so i went to work in the fleet department at a water district, less work load, less pressure, way better benefits. hope all goes well with your shoulders/hands, keep us informed......some of us are heading down the same road :).

good luck

19. Hi there,
    I'll interject with experience prescribing and using steroids in my practice. They can work great to suppress the inflammation associated with injury, whether accidental or intentional (as in surgery). When used after surgery, the steroids limit swelling and pain due to fixing the problem at hand. However, in a case such as yours steriods only passify the condition. The root cause of the inflammatory condition is still present and will be back again if not fixed.

Use the injection to reduce the symptoms and regain some of your fuction for now. But also schedule the surgery...its inevitable.

20. swimeasy

swimeasy

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I don't know how, but a shot of that stuff makes my knee feel GREAT. It last for months if I do as someone said above and limit the activity that causes it (bending) GOOD LUCK, MAN!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>