Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another fenderless truck!!!!! Bring on the criticism!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by primopro, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

sorry, pics

Attached Files:

2. You guys wonder why everyone's pissing in your cheerios? Take a look,,,most of the guys who like these "trucks" are newer to the HAMB, most who hate have been around awhile. A few years ago a build like this would get flamed right off the board...face it, this IS a new trend (in the grand scheme of things).

I'm not saying whether I think they belong or not...I've seen some super shitty ones, I've seen some well built and well thought out ones too. Same goes for most types of cars here.

IMO...Running a busted up grille that could be fixed in a couple of hours is LAME.

Bryan

3. jonny o

jonny o

As long as it doesn't live on a trailer and it does burnouts, it's cool with me!

4. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

if it makes you happy.. that is all that matter... rad truck man, id take it in a heart beat!

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I look at it this way. Some of the best eyes in hot rodding are on the HAMB and willing to share their opinion. You might not always agree, but I love the no bulshit, brutally honest opinions here. Speaking for myself, don't ever hold back on account of my feelings.

Look at this post where I made my track nose. Seriously look at post #3. How lame would it be to tell me "looks great bro... drive the wheels off of it!"? Those proportions look like shit, but at the time I was learning and not so sure so I asked. Read further down and it gets better. There are other instances with that car too but it all played out the same. I asked, you all let me know, sometimes I took the advice and sometimes not. But it all worked out good and I don't think I ever felt like I was being attacked... and there were some pretty funny things said about my car.

Man up, people. We're all big kids here and shouldn't feel like we have to treat everyone with kid gloves.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thats how it's done. Traditional methods, attitude and outcome!

............ and I like that truck! Well done so far!

7. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

I just did a 500 mile trip this weekend in it from Austin to Denton and back. I take it to the track it runs 13's over 100mph, not great but good enough for me.

My sign on date my show 2004 but I have been looking at the HAMB since 1998.
    I built my first car back in 1989 and have been around old cars all my life, my dad build a couple of fairly stock fords one a 41 coupe and a 47 sedan.

But I am consider a newbe

8. Congratulations on getting it rolling! It looks like a lot of fun except for getting impaled on the inside edges of that bullet hole.:) Wish I had something like it. I like the shiny motor/rough body contrast.

9. to kool....needs alotta metalflake :)

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

There's a big difference between a straight shooter that gives constructive criticism and an asshole that just debases someone's efforts.

11. Ornery's truck is a blast to ride in and a solid runner.

12. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

if the grille looks out of proportion to you, as it seems to everybody else, then maybe you should make it darker like as dark as the cab,and put 7" headlights on it and see what then. If the motor looks too small to you, put a bigger aircleaner and tall valve covers on it and then decide. I graduated from the Doug Henning school of Automotive Proportionizing where car sizes "are all an illusion".................

13. ronrob75

ronrob75

I agree 100%

14. FORD small block HALLELUJAH!!!!

.....needs to dress better for school though.........

15. jonny o

jonny o

Shit, your signature is spot on man... you must not be old enough to drink though, as you didn't complete the trifecta.

Must be an NE thing.

16. HMH INC

HMH INC
    from RALEIGH,NC

hey jonny o, my pops used to race in norwalk, I grew up in huron, had ALOT of friends in norwalk back in the 80's and 90's........

17. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

SBF works for me. I like the truck.

18. ronrob75

ronrob75

Not sure about the NE thing, but at 50 years old I figure cold beer is a mandatory given....hell cold beers are always there, the cool cars and hot women aren't always (unfortunately)

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

You guys gotta remember that the grill is made for that truck. That's what it came with.

The alignment/ proportions etc can be modified.

20. Oldschoolhotrods

Oldschoolhotrods
    from san diego

looks cool, always nice to see em get from a pile of parts to being a driver.

grill could be slanted i reckon or swapped out altogether, air cleaner/valve covers changed, if you we're looking for suggestions, looks pretty good though whether it's still in progress or is done in your eyes, enjoy it, so many folks never get to drive a car they built

21. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Damn that's Gospel right there...

That's how I see the HAMB too... I learned a lot here... Frankly, I learned way more from 'negative' posts than from 'thanks for all your kind words' posts.

I actually see honesty and an eye for detail on the HAMB as an obligation to the younger guys who are learning.
    If you're overly sensitive about what you build, don't post it on a discussion forum. Don't fish for compliments from a group of 30k+ because you're bound to get opinions different from yours and your bestest friends.

I also think 'atta-boys' are useless. You owe it to your audience to tell people what you like as much as what you don't like.

That being said, I like the back of this truck. It reminds me a little bit of Rocky's truck from behind.

The front doesn't work for me... It looks like a rat-rod copout... It looks like the back of the truck had a plan and the front looks like someone said "Don't worry about the details, just build the fucker."

The grill is outa wack in a lot of ways... It looks too far forward, too high, and the style of that particular grill doesn't work with the rest of the truck. It's a little chucky...

22. jadam54

jadam54
    from DENVER

cant judge if i cant see it

23. WanderAlone

WanderAlone
    from Arizona

i especially like the beauty mark. (bullet hole) very nice

24. streetrodder1958

streetrodder1958
    from yuma AZ

You have got to have one of the coolest rides in Japan. When I was there my car was a Mira. It had a 2 cylinder engine that looked like an old honda m/c. On steep hills I had to make everyone walk cause it had so little power. I don't care how many inperfections it has, in Japan thats "cherry".

Attached Files:

25. JamesG

JamesG

It needs red wheels.

26. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

criticism is what he was looking for, I agree, but being an ass is not.

And for most of us building the worthless trucks a lot are found just like a Model A with no fenders, but unlike Model A most of the time you can find them a lot cheaper. I am still looking for fenders, grill, and a hood for mine.
    But untill then I am not going to just park it cause it not running fenders.

27. I'm building one too, '41 Dodge. I am not using fenders because I don't like the stock front sheetmetal on these years of trucks, and decided to swap a '39 Plymouth car grille. A lot of die-hard traditionalists may or may not like it, but one thing is for sure; I will learn a lot from this build(already have), and my next one will be WAY better(and much more traditional). I consider this a learning project, with all vintage parts. The only thing really un-traditional is the body style. I'm sure others will be happy to disagree.
    [​IMG]

28. SLIMLEG

SLIMLEG

cool! I agree grill to high and forward, but I thought rodding is using what ya got. I think it's just right. As long as you're driving and enjoying, thats where it's at.

29. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Cut the grille down a bit...
    Grind off the tops of the valve covers...
    Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing!

30. JrDragsterPunk

JrDragsterPunk

I hate these kinda threads. actually the hamb sucks overall nowadays anyway. see yah in another 6 months..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.