Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model Y 1932 ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_General, Nov 7, 2007.

1. The_General

The_General

He..

I just found a 1932 model Y, but I actually never heard of it. Can some one tell me more about this one?

already thanx

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

32 Model y. Cool. It was fords euro market car with a small four banger in it. There were two and four door sedans. I don't think there was a coupe, but I'm not sure. Is it a 2 or 4 door?

3. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

Y types were british/european fords - they did not make coupes in the UK, only sedans, seems coupes were built in australia though. they are tiny cars... sorry no pics of them to hand though.... there is quite a few of them over here but tend not to get used as rods, i think they are more popular with restorers.

a site which may be of interest is http://www.fordyandcmodelregister.co.uk/

4. dechrome

dechrome

Somebody produced a coupe body in fiberglass in early 80s. They were cool but small. With a Daimler 2.5 L v8 they looked like a small size 34 3 window with a hemi. If anyone has one please share pictures.
    deChrome

5. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I had one not too long ago, nice running original car. Kind of like 32's in the US they were a 1 year only car, they look similar to their later cousins, but have several differences, front fenders, bumpers, grills hood louvers etc. I plannned on a V8 60 in mine, but it was really too nice to hot rod in my opinion, so I sold it. Many regrets, as it would have made a cool little cruiser. I'll try and find some pics of it. I do know that the new owner wants to sell it now. Later, Rusty.

6. butch27

butch27

One was a give away car one year in the early '90s.

7. kgjevre

kgjevre

8. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

9. 067chevy

067chevy

lets see some pictures

10. The_General

The_General

thanx for the info..

here's the pic I found

[​IMG]

11. Phil1934

Phil1934

Orig. was 8 H.P.! Gibbon offered a fiberglass sedan or coupe.

12. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Attached Files:

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Blown Hemi would ROCK!

14. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

A buddy of mine Paul McManus bought one in England and had it shipped back to the States about 20 yrs. ago. It has a 4 cyl. engine, believe it's a 1600cc Ford but not sure. It's a neat little car, he said if he and his Wife get in at the same time and close the doors they bump shoulders.

15. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

None of those pictured are 32's they are 33's-39's. 32's had bumpers that resembled American 32's but smaller, the front fenders had no skirting on them like a 33/34 would have , the hood side louvers were different, but I can't remember the difference. The grill was much thinner and not so narrow. Windshield area and frame more resembled the American 32, and the 33-39's resembled the 33/34 American ford. And 1 thing for sure the 32 Model Y is Extremely rare, on any continent. I'm still searching for my pix. A rod shop I believe in PA has my old car. It has been on ebay several times. I believe it is Blades Rod Shop, someone may find pix there. Later, Rusty.

My bad the unrestored one in the picture is a 32, look at the fenders and grill compared to the other.

16. GlenC

GlenC

The Y model is the 'father' of the English Ford Pop/Anglia/Prefect range and runs the same basic 4 banger and gearbox. 8 and 10 hp sidevalve, around 900cc or so from memory. Cute little car, and a miniature of the full size US Fords of the same years. I don't think there's many 32 models around, the 33-34 model was more common.

I'd agree, a 'preiod' rod with the 2.5 Litre Daimler V8 hemi or the V8 60 sidevalve would be the way to go with this one.

Cheers, Glen.

17. 067chevy

067chevy

Dwight Bond Owner founder Gibbon Fiberglas has a coupe he built for his daughter. very nice car. looks almost like 34 coupe only smaller

18. 067chevy

067chevy

nice find

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The Model "Y" was actually designed by American E.T. (Bob) Gregory. The same guy who designed the '40 Continental & '49
    Mercury. The Model "Y" was scaled up by Ford/Murray to become
    the '33-'4 Ford passenger car.

Swankey Devils C.c.

20. HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

HUGHES AUTOMOTIVE

trailer-Ed saw your 32 at Blade's in Beaver Falls several months ago. The car was sitting in a warehouse. I recognized car from Ebay and asked about the car. All the owner said was it was sold. Very cool car glad I saw it.

21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

As I recall the story, Henry Ford put his son Edsel in charge of styling (not yet called that) in the late '20s, and the Model A was the first product of Edsel's direction. Edsel hired Bob Gregorie to be the first full-time design guy at Ford, and Gregorie's first project was the model Y, introduced in Europe at roughly the same time as the American '32. The Y was a huge hit, and Edsel told Ford's body engineers to scale it up for the new fullsize American '33.

It's true that the Y resembles the American '33-34, but it actually happened the other way around -- the Y came first.

22. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

CC..

Attached Files:

23. gasser

gasser

32's are rare, known as a "short rad" for the different (shorter) grille and unskirted fenders. They are very small, even smaller when chopped and stuffed full of small block and 4speed. This is a later 34..

Attached Files:

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

When I was stationed in the UK, I bought a nice stocker '37 Model Y in great shape. The little engine would crank easily & putter along just fine at about 45mph. Rod brakes worked very well on that small car & the thermosiphon cooling never gave me any problems.

My plan was to bring it back to the states with me & drop a V8-60 in it - a 3/4-scale flathead for a 3/4-scale '34 Tudor!

One little tidbit - the bodies are riveted to the frames, so makes doing major work to them a major job.

Here's a pic of my '34 next to my Y...

Attached Files: