Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a HEI distributor???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Neophyte, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte

This distributor came with my SBC 350 motor. To be honest it's the first time I've seen one of these. I definitely want to use it once the motor is rebuilt.

Does it use some external triggering module as there are three wires coming from it with a small white connector? Any info will be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. dochorsepower

dochorsepower

That looks like one of those Mallory optical trigger distributors or similar by some other manufacturer.

3. squirrel

squirrel

yup, mid 60s-mid 70s point distributor converted to electronic pickup with an unknown kit.

4. Neophyte

Neophyte

For some reason I thought there was an HEI with external coil as well as the one with the internal coil. I only know what the one with internal coil looks like.

The block actually dates from 1971 and has a pair of 441 heads on. A few years ago such kits were available locally. One name that comes to mind is Lumenition (I think). I'll take the distributor to our club meeting on Tuesday evening to hear if anyone know where I can get the module for it. I'd prefer that over points due to less maintenance.

Thanks for the response guys!

5. squirrel

squirrel

indeed there is an HEI with an external coil, used on the newer small blocks. Some are made of plastic even.

They don't have any advance mechanisms in them though, so you need to use a special "box" with the advance curve built into it...or an engine computer like they have in all those later model cars.

6. Ray Frey

Ray Frey
    from Arizona

It looks like an Early Unilite conversion
    In any case it is a conversion and it probably does have a light
    Connector probably about 5/16" x 3/4" Red Black Green wires
    You could get a newer conversion from a couple MFGs
    Can still get Unilite conversion for stock chevy dist and Accel now makes one
    They work well
    Ray

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

There is also an OLD "HEI" dizzy GM made called a Mag Impulse distributor - the predecessor to the more modern HEI. It was used on Corvettes and some other HIPO applications - they weren't worth a shit as the electronics were garbage, but the dizzys are great and are the same as the points dizzy in appearance.

8. squirrel

squirrel

those weren't known as HEI, instead they were called "Transistor Ignition" since they had a transistor equipped amplifier.

the distributors seem to go for some $$$ these days, I sold one on epay, needing work, for four bills.

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

That's why I put HEI in quotation marks. To those unfamiliar with them they are very "HEI LIKE" in terms of their internals - specifically the "guts" - (a technical term :) )

They are awesome distributors. Can be used in a home brew "HEI like" ignition, or fire an MSD or whatever system you prefer. Best part is that they LOOK like a regular old points dizzy and use the points cap and rotor.

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Its a aftermarket kit that requires a module to match the hall trigger system.:)