Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 39 merc coupe barn find-- need value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35chevymaster, Nov 1, 2007.

1. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

Hello: again.
    My brother found a pair of coupes in a barn in Indiana they are supposed to be a 39 & 40 merc. coupes the guy wants me to make an offer on one or both these cars. one has a license plate dated 1958 I would think they have been parked in the barn for years he just bought the place and they went with it. no big visable rust the floors are supposed to be solid he says theres some trim in the trunks thanks for any help Tim
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

URL=http://img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=merc6he6.jpg][/url]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. customfc

customfc

Damn!
    That's a cool find.
    Can't help with a price, but if it was me I would be making an offer on both, and that lil' ol' truck as well.
    I hope you score them at a reasonable bargain price.....good luck.
    Regards
    Alex

3. Nice find! one of my favorite cars.
    I don't know what they are going for. Offer a reasonable price of what you think they are worth to YOU and go from there.

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Ya know, Sometimes I think it's 2007 how in the world can these cars still be out there.......and then stuff like this. Wow Go get em !!!

5. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

If they are not finding 32's in Pa. they are finding 40's in Indy.....great find!

I'm still looking in every barn I see here in the SE area.

Paco

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

A lot depends on whether you think the owner knows what they're worth. If he does and you make a real (off the wall) low ball offer he may put you down as not worth negotiating with. Do some research as to what these go for (Hemmings maybe) and make a reasonable offer but only if you can afford it-these Mercs ain't cheap.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

According to the October 2007 Old Cars Price Guide
    1939 Coupe
    1. 24,500
    2. 17,150
    3. 11,030
    4. 4,900
    5. 2,940
    6. 980

For a '40 coupe
    1. 25,500
    2. 17,850
    3. 11,480
    4. 5,100
    5. 3,060
    6. 1,020

A #6 car is an unrestorable parts car. They are probably worth #5 values easily.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oh yea!!
    I would pay 4000 grand for these in a heartbeat.
    What a find!

9. Before reading this, I was thinking "I'd offer 8K for the pair!" Seems Im not too far off. As someone else said, if you lowball and insult, you might be cut right out of the loop on this one.
    I think I'd pony up all the cash I could spare for those 2.

10. If you are not going to bid, please let others here know if they can bid. I would gladly offer a legitimate bid and am willing to close fast. Had a Merc as a kid and would love another.

11. alchemy

alchemy

I doubt the original titles came with the farm, but it would be easier for the owner to get new legal titles since he is the guy who bought the farm. You, on the other hand, will be twice removed from the legal owner. Would hate for you to get them, and then the farm-seller comes along with his real titles and the Sherrif and removes the coupes from your garage.

12. mercmaniac

mercmaniac

Based on the photos I would offer $10,000 for the pair and I don't think that would insult the man and should be fair to you both.
    Mercmaniac

13. brewsir

brewsir

yea....try to find a nice 40 merc grille for under a grand....10 for the pair maybe offer a little less or try to feel him out on it...but I owuldn't wait long as they will go quickly!

14. scootersnpie

scootersnpie

Not to rain on your great find but if he is in the know and you come in at 10K he will tell you to go kick rocks. Quite honestly for the both cars he could pull between 15-18K ALL DAY LONG. Be fair and they will be yours. My 2 cents worth.

15. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Anybody else notice the 39 had its stock barrel tail lights swapped for Ford units? Also, the 40 has a red flathead block, and those were dark green stock--

You might find some period modifications on those cars, which would be cool too!

Good luck,

jay

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

get him to come up with a price, he has a number in his head he would like to see for them. you just have to get him to spit it out!! then go from there.

17. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

nah, you don't want those, there all dirty, probably need stuff like a battery and gas, too much trouble you know. So, how do I get a hold of this guy?;)
    Nice find, wish I found it.

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You know, when I see a part at a swap meet that I want and ask the seller what he wants for it, and he says, "What's it worth to you?" I respond by saying, "I don't have time to be both buyer and seller and today I'm a buyer. Tell me what you need for it." They either laugh or get PO'd.

With that in mind, ask the guy in a nice way if he could give you an idea of what amount would seem fair to him. He is the one selling, and you don't even have a ballpark figure from him to work with. He may think they're worth $500 each or he may think they're worth $50,000 each. And without an idea from him about what he's thinking, you're shooting in the dark.

19. DVierstra

DVierstra

These guys are great when needing an appraisal:
    Auto Appraisal Network
    I know one of the guys there....Howie is is name.
    We are working on getting a pilot out for possibly the Speed channel.

It is called "what's it Worth?" coming soon.

DV

Portfolio

20. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Stuff this nice usually doesn't go along with a real estate transaction but who really cares what the real story is. BTW that's a pretty nice "barn", concrete floor and all. Do make sure you can get clear title. I don't mind putting up with titling headaches for 500.00 pasture cars but this is on another level. This kind of stuff is indeed in the 10K to 15K range for the pair.

21. brewsir

brewsir

yea...looks like he still has it at that price too.

22. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

Cool thanks for all the info. we are going up saturday to look them over I was thinking of offering him $7500 for the pair but I will go higher.

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Hope you get 'em.

24. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Damn, my all time 'dream kustom'....I had the chance to buy one about 5 years ago that was all original right down to the paint & rust free (wich is amazing for a NY car...) for 6 grand and i've kicked myself ever since for not getting it.......But thats me...I wish i was in a better situation to buy one off you so you could have yours for free...Cant beat that price...lololol....Just get them damn it!!

25. Good luck man! Please keep us updated.

26. What about the Model A sedan-made-into a pickup parked next to them??? I would be interested in that!

27. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

trade you my 36 ford coupe for one of those,seriously.
    here is mine..i love those 39 40 Merc cars

Attached Files:

• ham.jpg
      ham.jpg
      File size:
      93.7 KB
      Views:
    • rr.jpg
      rr.jpg
      File size:
      101.4 KB
      Views:
  28. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Damn Squig,,,,that lays hard!!....Very kool ride..

29. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Too bad the trunk handle on the 40 is gone,makes it hard to open:rolleyes:. Send it to me,Ill try to fix it:D . What a great find!!They are probably worth 6-8 thousand each.Good luck!!:)