Register now to get rid of these ads!

So we add one more to the collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TbirdGirl, Oct 28, 2007.

1. TbirdGirl

TbirdGirl
    BANNED

Well...I finally sucked my fiancee into the classic car circuit...He made his first oldie purchase of a 1950 Buick Dynaflow. The guy had chopped the top (dont worry, its a 4 door). But the body is straight. We are planning to put its chrome pieces back on and i am slowly talking him into a nice deeply colored metalflake for the paint...we may chop the windshield too.

As I told him, if you're going to make it a custom...better go all the way. Anyway...The previous owner named it Gretchen. Here it is in all its red and black glory:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It needs a bit of work, and lots of tlc, but it can be done dagnabbit! lol.

Anyway, hope you enjoy! We are looking into getting our hands on some more oldies...since we are in Tennessee, and there a quite a few old cars just sitting in fields...we see the opportunity!!

Let us know what you think!

xoxo
    Niki:D

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you plan to put a carson style top on it or find a donor car for the roof?

3. TbirdGirl

TbirdGirl
    BANNED

He was planning on leaving it off (guess it will be a summer car) haha. But i suggested a Carson-style top for it. Its up to him. We actually have a lot of parts that came from a donor car for this one from the previous owner.

But we will see...things can change real quick-like...you can find my man under the user name: Fytcllub

He could probably answer more questions on it that I can. =)

4. YES! put the chrome back on. And while your at it, paint over those "scallop" thingys. Car has a lot of potential.

5. donzzilla

donzzilla

C'mon. With those "Puppy Dog eyes" Would she have to con you into anything?

After 21+ years my wife gave me that look and said she wanted an old "Gasser" to drive around in. It's been a little over a year now since she said it, so it's kind of fuzzy.......but I think it took about a week to drag something home. Ok it would have been sooner if I knew where something was.

You gotta love a girl that wants you to get a car. Best of luck with the new ride!

She ended up with a '56 Buick Special. Original paint, period looking Gasser, complete with "Draggin' Lady" on the 1/4's. I was happy to give it to her the way she wanted it. Ifn' it were up to me the car would have been mere inches off the ground, big meats, jet black, BIG motor, etc.

Most of all it' sfun havin' a simular hobby, Don

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

and the pic would be where ?????;) :D

7. donzzilla

donzzilla

Sorry, I didn't want to hi jack the thread with a pic. But seein' as how you asked.

Go with your gut feelings on the Buick. I think if you make it just the way you want it. It'll be more fun to drive and show off.

Attached Files:

8. guiseart

guiseart

Okay, you can't just spring an opening line like that on a room full of guys... holy crap.

9. guiseart

guiseart

10. Sergeant_at_Arms

Sergeant_at_Arms
    from Tampa, FL

Nice car, lots of potential. Definitely would have to agree with 38chev though, get some chrome back on it and get rid of the scallops. Thats just my personal opinion, but definitely do what you choose. Thats what separates everyone and if not for rodders like us, the world would be full of originally bland restorations.....How boring!

11. TbirdGirl

TbirdGirl
    BANNED

lmao. I just saw that opening when you quoted it. I am rollin' ahaha Sorry about that! :D

But thanks for catching it!! lol

12. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

You look so happy about your new purchase.....

13. NJVadala

NJVadala

Nice car, I agree though, get rid of the scallops.

14. damnfingers

damnfingers

My gawd...the red toothy grin on that thing sucks...get rid ot!!

15. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

A little lower, a little chromer, and it would be the coolest roller. I'm a poet, and didn't even know it.

16. Zumo

Zumo

Yeah get the chrome back on the bumpers. Some metal flake would be nice with some wide whites and moon discs.

17. Gabacho_LBC

Gabacho_LBC

Just a little bit lower on that last picture would be wonderful. I think it would give the car the right stance.:D

18. Nailhead

Nailhead

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, put the chrome back on, and paint over the "scallops". I like your idea of chopping the windshield and adding the carson top. Slam that baby and get some wide white, but I'd leave the rims the way they are...

19. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

More Chrome, No Scallops. It looks a little like Batmans car now

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

All that red paint is just... wretched.

But it's got potential. Great eyes.

21. ig'nant

ig'nant

I can see the potential, plus I just like the idea of chopping a boring more-door into something fun. Post updates when you get it shined up.

22. Fytclub

Fytclub

Thanks for the kind words about my car and my chick

When I first saw the car I wasn't sure what to think about it. I went home and did some research on that year and once I saw the chromed out grill I fell in love with it

Some things about the car:

Everything is shaved on it except the hood and trunk emblems

Bodywork is decent but not for real paint

No interior just seats and a big ass hole on the drivers side floor pan

I'ts a Dynaflow so it leaves like a sieve. From reading around here and various other places the new torque balls kits take care of most of this

I'm still trying to determine what size the engine is. I know nothing about Buicks, I've only been around Chevy and Ford

It's been lowered with chopped springs in the front and El Camino Springs in the rear

It drives but I need to replace a couple freeze plugs and seal up the tranny before I can be comfortable with it

Hopefully we can start tearing into it soon, when we do I'll post some pics of Niki all greased up...

23. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Niki

I can see you in that car, it's way too cool! We're happy to see you with a new toy.

RGV

24. TbirdGirl

TbirdGirl
    BANNED

So we have an update! My fiancee flushed the system, and replaced the freeze plugs, and all that good stuff. Apparently, when he flushed it out, he found mounds of dirt, and even pieces of what seemed to be ceremic!! lol

But I was surprised to come home from work the other day, and he told me to start the car! She runs again!!!

Im excited, the project is finally rolling!

I will keep you updated as it progresses! Thanks for all the kind words!

Niki

http://www.myspace.com/64prettybird390

25. starts , runs . stops your on your way..

26. OLLIN

OLLIN

where did you find that car? It looks like it might be one my buddy used to own (not with that paint job though...)

p.s. I think he still has the title if you dont have one..

27. OLLIN

OLLIN

28. I need a title to my 48 F1. Do you think he has it ? :)

29. old beet

old beet

I can see why you had to SUCK him into it! I would have bought it too!....OLDBEET

30. mackster

mackster

I think she didn't have to..but damn it! it was nice of her to do it! LOL... :D