Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 buick fuel pump help !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52buick, Oct 26, 2007.

1. 52buick

52buick

Help
    I am out of ideas.
    My buick was running great in driveway, then it just stopped. I thought I ran it out of gas. Put in a few gallons. and no gas to the carb. ran a line from the pump to a small container of gas. No gas at the carb. So I bought a new fuel pump and still no gas to the carb.
    I took the pump off and was able to get it to pump gas on the workbench, if I plugged the vac port on top of the pump.
    What else can I do ??

Ready to throw a match on this thing.
    Help
    Please.

2. 55special

55special
    from NC

Maybe you already checked this but... on my 55 Buick there's a screen on the carb inlet where the fuel line attaches that can get plugged with trash, even if you're running an in-line filter.

3. 52buick

52buick

Thanks
    I removed the line from the carb. I even removed it from the side of the pump.
    I also tried to plug the vac port on the top of the pump. and leave them open.
    Still no gas.

4. BBPACER

BBPACER

I'm unfamiliar with your engine, but the pump has to run directly off a cam lobe, eccentric, or lobe actuated pushrod. These things do wear out. Check to see if you've still got some mechanical action to the pump lever.

5. 52buick

52buick

It does run off the cam by a lobe.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So is gas getting from the tank to the pump? Check out stuff in the tank.

7. 52buick

52buick

It wont pump from a small bottle connected to the of the pump.
    I think it has to be the lobe on the cam. Can this happen??

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Let's get gas flowing from the tank to the pump. Put a 6' piece of 3/8" hose on the fuel line going into the pump, then into a safe container lower than the tank. Give the fill pipe a SHORT blast of air while watching the hose. Fuel should gravity flow from there, if not, make it so it will. Cam lobe gone ? Possible but not probable. Grab a flashlight & a mirror so you can be sure. If your "new" fuel pump was a NORS part that sat for years on a shelf, chances are it may be dried up enough to leak vacuum. If you can see white threads in the diaphram, it'll fail.
    An AC or Dupree electric pump was the preferred fix years ago.