Register now to get rid of these ads!

" Cookie Cutter " ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6t5frlane, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ..in the end, you should just do whatever you want to please yourself cuz you can't please everyone else.. I like old paint, door lettering,etc, be it the real thing or new stuff weathered....
    ...jus do what YOU want.

2. This says it all!Personally i don't like it on cars,but tastefully done,it suits many pickups,and has always looked good on many sedan deliveries.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Build or do what you like, but on the same token, don't be affraid or get pissed when it only pleases you. What I get a kick out of are the guys who try to follow a trend and pretend what they built was what they always wanted. But what I REALLY hate is when somebody passes off their original concept as "this is the way it was done". That seems to be the #1 come back for the sheep rat rodder. If you're doing something to your car because it's popular at the time, then admit it. Don't tell a lie to try and validate it.

4. rainman1958

rainman1958

It must be very difficult to be the the one to decide how everyone else should build their cars.

5. rainman1958

rainman1958

It must be very difficult being the one to decide how everyone should build THEIR CARS.

6. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

After going to a Car Show (With 5/90 cars being "Rat Rawds"), I think that the less Mustang II, Shitty 90's Rims, Hot Wheels Graphics, Tweed Interiors in the world, the better.

In my opinion, keeping an old vehicle looking like an old vehicle, whether it be original, traditionally rodded, or even "Resto-Rodded" isn't bad. The only thing that bothers me is the whole old into new thing, but...everybody builds what they want.

7. flooded

flooded
    from DFW

All things need to be taken on a case by case basis. There are ideas that I see that I like but that does not mean that they would look good on my car. It all comes down to build what makes you happy and role it like its the shit! Who cares what anybody else thinks, it is not their car. But if you do something "trendy" and try to sell it after the trend has ended don't get pissed when nobody wants it. $0.02

8. malibu283

malibu283

There are no new Ideas! It's all been done before!

So how in the sam hill can I not do somthing someone else hasen't done before.

9. The #25 Jan 08 issue of "OL SKOOL RODZ" has an article on page 12 called.....Makin' the NEW........ look OLD.

Basically a step by step article showing how to make these vintage "shop" door logos.

10. T-Roy

T-Roy

Ya beat me to it! I was gonna go fetch a pic and throw it up on here... :D

-Troy

11. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I've got a set of doors saved for an AD truck because they have the original Gilleland Heating and Cooling Cincy Ohio lettering on them and a 5 digit phone. In the truck were the plans for an HVAC system dated 1963. The mice had chewed the shit out of the papers or I'd have saved them as well. Someone spent some time getting the lettering right and I admire that. Going about doing it today to get that 'look' is OK but the original ones are the coolest.

12. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

I have a 1952 Ford wagon(still has its flattie w/ overdrive) that says "Dough Boys Band Wagon" on the rear quarters. I think it was a band that was made up of ex-WWI soilders.

I thought it was cool..... Mabe I should ask permission before I leave it on there. LOL

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Not changin this, and don't care what anyone thinks. :p

[​IMG]

14. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

this thread isnt closed yet?

15. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Amen

16. k-member

k-member

About 5 years ago I was rolling around in my truck with the Elroy's logo cause it was fun. Plain and simple fun.
    Now that I use it as a business vehical, if I don't paint my business logo on the side, I can't use it as a write off. I know I can use all the write offs I can get. I kind of don't want to, but we'll see.
    Before and after, same truck.

Attached Files:

• 0X.JPG
      0X.JPG
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 0Y.JPG
      0Y.JPG
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
  17. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Thanks for your thoughts, I really was not talking about old original tin with names just the guys trying to make it look older. I did not realize that there were actual Mag articles on how to do it. Maybe that explains the reason for so many rides with this trend

18. I have a rattle can black 47 Ford traditional truck with GREEN wheels. One the driver's door is Pocono Drag Lodge, Bear Creek PA. On the other Lyndwood Welding, Wikes-Barre, PA with a phone #. I worked at the drag lodge a couple seasons and it was open from 1963 to 1972. Tim Tichards and Joe Amato were regulars and most weeks they had touring match racers. Every where I go I run into people who raced there. Lyndwood built top fuel chassis in the late 50's. They still use that phone # and I met the founder's son because of that lettering. He still races one of his fathers dragsters. The point here is, I moved out of that area in 1972, but the people I've met since lettering that truck are fantastic. Lots of memories and bench racing. As the commercial says $100 to letter the truck, the people who stop and talk, priceless. So paint something that you can relate to and meet some cool people.

19. 067chevy

067chevy

Damn right!!!!!!!!!

20. rocknutts

rocknutts

Those that have already posted "build what you want, screw the haters" have got my vote. This hobby will always be about what a person wants for his own ride. I, like a lot of folks will see a car and say "if he only did this or that" but that would be the way you would want that car.

Personally, I like wide whites and red steel wheels, but I have for about 20 years now. Back when I was a regular at the NSRA meets, I was always complaining about the lack of creativity when it came to the engine bay, always 350/350. But how do you know what a persons focus is?

Fads will come and go, but most of us will stick to a certain era or change if the improvment is pleasing to us not for someone else.

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I pick and choose the trends I see in magazines when I build a car, the main thing is the magazines were printed in the 1950's and early 1960's.