Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs as Hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrusto, Oct 9, 2007.

1. 40chev

40chev

Maybe it's just me but i've always likes a slight rake forward as long as the car doesnt have skirts, if it has skirts and is pre 50 it should be level, if it it is 50 to 60's with skirts-rear down, no skirts and NON ledsled (custom) look, nose down..There are some variences depending on the wheels and tires that are being used, some cars just dont look right certain wheels no matter the stance..(i.e 55 chevy with wide whites with moons)...This is just my oppinion....
    My plans for my 40 chevy is about a 2in rake with the front fenders just over the top of the tires and the rear wheel openings about level with the top of the rear tire....Front tires will be a little shorter and narrower running steel wheels body color with trim rings and 1940 style caps.....my idea of a traditional Hot Rod.....

2. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

Here's my '49 Olds coupe with a raked hot rod stance.

Attached Files:

3. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

49oldscoups, that thing looks killer. It shares so many body lines with my 50 Pontiac I'm quite parital to it. I would have liked to go with the chrome steelies like you did, but I leaned a different way to fit more tire. Looks good tho, gives me a better idea of how a few pieces fit... Does it run out as good as it looks?

4. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Thanks for posting this pic! Ive never seen this box before, I love those radiused rear wheel wells, thats what I want to do with mine.

5. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ooops! Sorry Ramblinman I meant to quote repoguy...Anyway here is a couple pics of my 50 box, wich in my opinion fits in the kustom/hot rod category, of course to me its more hot rod. Here it is with a slight nose down rake when sitting still and a ass down rake when launching for a pass. BTW its got a mild 351 W with a 3spd manual and 2.79 8in with tall L-79 15's in the rear and still gets 14 sec. timeslips in the 1/4 and can cruise 80 on the highway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Maybe its just me but didnt most of the kustoms from back in the day have 3/4 race mills?...

7. DrJ

DrJ

I know a Custom, a Kustom, or a customized Hotrod when I see one and can say "Yea, That's a *Whatchamacallit!" but I don't have an all inclusive fits all cases definition for everything that is or isn't one or the other.

All I can put into defining words is it's a matter of INTENT by someone who actually knows what their intent is and aren't just "changing stuff."
    A Custom, or a Kustom can be and quite often is "hotrodded" in that it's got a modified or chaged engine, an drive train but that dosn't make it a Hotrod.
    On the other hand, a Hotrod can be "customized," even with radical "Full Custom" changes, but if the owner/builder's INTENT was a Hotrod, to use for it's intended competition aim, then it's still a Hotrod.

And a Kustom shouldn't look like a hotrod, or it no longer is a Kustom, it's a customized Hotrod.

I still think the term (but not the cars some want to put in the category) "Custom Rod" is an oxymoron, no matter how long the term has been batted around

8. Here's a pic of a friend's old 'box that had a nice stance....and did wicked burnouts might I add.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

Thanks for the compliment. You've got a good looking Pontiac. I really like the '49-'52 Chevy, Olds and Pontiac body styles.

My Olds has a stock 350 Chevy at the moment, nothing special. I have a 327 365 HP Vette motor that I want to rebuild and stick in it that should wake it up a little.

10. tommy v

tommy v

this is getting a 348 with 4 -2s and a 5 speed [​IMG]-[​IMG]

11. Barn-core

Barn-core

Oh man. Both of those Olds had my mouth watering. That's something I've been dreaming about for a long time.

12. whitewallslick

whitewallslick
    1. oHIo

I thought the leadsled gassers in R&C were awful. They look confused, like a period perfect Willys gasser with tweed interior or a fenderless traditional deuce with IFS ... it just doesn't work.

13. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

That shoud motivate that Olds pretty well. I cut alot of weight out of the car (it only weighs 3100lbs), so with the 400hp 406 we're shooting for low 12's... Should be a good sleeper... As will yours...