Register now to get rid of these ads!

Six Vehicles Damaged in Accident at Fall Carlisle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MattGergeni, Oct 6, 2007.

1. MattGergeni

MattGergeni

2. brewsir

brewsir

Damn that would ruin a weekend for a bunch of people all at once.

3. Big Tony

Big Tony

Ouch...thats the last place you want something like that to happen

4. customcory

customcory

It must have been wet up there, thats a steep hill. When it rains up there on the field , watch out. I lost a boot in the mud up there one year. My dad set up there at the first one and only recently quit going because it just to much work at his age.What a shame!

5. spudz

spudz

hopefully the guy with the Buick found a replacement quarter panel at the swap....he's gonna need it.. that sux... The others don't look that bad.

6. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

That's the truth, for sure. Right after the truck and trailer got loose causing all that carnage, a Chev convert was trying to back into a spot not too far from the big accident and slid on the slick grass right into the door of a really nice Mustang. Caved it in pretty good. The owner and his pals were ready to put a serious ass-kicking on the owner of the Chev convert before cooler heads intervened and staightened the mess out. Altogether, a very sad weekend for some.

For others, a spectacular weekend as the weather was the best in my memory, and I've been going for 20+ years!

7. Meddler57

Meddler57

Another example of why car trailers should not be at car shows. :D

8. ronrob75

ronrob75

I agree 100 percent, but this is more of your local car show / flea market on steroids. There are as many cars on trailers (projects) as there are that are driven in.

It still sucks no matter what, that something like this happened. Bet ya the guys at Grundy, or some of the other specialty insurance companies that are always set up there, had there hands full.

9. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

the weather was nice in the morning. the ground was real damp all morning until around 11:30 or so when the sun came out. Im surprised this kind of thing doesnt happen more often. that hill is steep and that grass is always slick as hell

10. Spike!

Spike!

Another reason to avoid Carlisle! The whole SHOW has been going down hill!

Spike

11. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

I've been going for 20 years and the last 2 years have been really bad. Never have I seen so many empty vendor spots. 6 years ago you were on a waiting list for a spot, now you can get all you want.

Go back 20 years and toys, crafts, chinese made tool vendors comprised maybe 5% of the total show. Now those items comprise 40-50%.

Ebay, usage of old parts stashes and parts hoarders will do in that show eventually.

12. yekoms

yekoms

Hey Spike, That's a good one. Now I feel better about missin' fall Carlisle this year. Have fun,Smokey

13. noboD

noboD

Amen Spike. When Chip died so did the show. I understand they aren't giving a car away like they always did. My buddy said there weren't any cars on the stage, which were the give-away cars.

14. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

since everyone is ok.......that is one ugly Chevy.....

15. 5window

5window

Well, I've only been going about 6 years, but I enjoy it-got my list,always get about 30-40% and find stuff not on the list. It's good exercise, good ice cream, always something interesting. Maybe it's not what it once was, but where else are you going to go?

Those OCW pictures don't do the accident justice. You should have seen it where one car slid into the next and the next and so on.

16. They'll do in all of them eventually, along with the price of gasoline. As a vendor it's tough to justify spending $20-$40 on gas and $15-$25 for one spot to sell maybe $150 on a good day, when I can sit home and put two or three things on eBay for maybe $10 in fees and make the same $150. And I don't have to deal with people trying to buy something marked $50, for $10, either.

I do the shows because I enjoy doing them, but I've even started selling some completely non-auto related stuff to try to have something unique for all the non-car people who come through. And it's good sometimes to buy things, I picked up a toy a while back for $25 that I threw on eBay and got $510 for - I had an idea what it was, and apparently no one else did, I didn't even find it myself until 10:00 am. But even I was surprised by the $510, I figured maybe half that.

I don't go to Carslile not so much because of the cost but because I know I'll come home with more shit than I left with, and I just don't have the room for it all. I mean hell I went to an auction and bought an old candy vending machine - because at $2, I think I could sell it for scrap and get more money for it - but to keep it I have to drive it 75 miles away and stick it in my storage van, there just ain't no room here.

17. chopped30

chopped30
    from ohio

My friends and I were there Weds-Sat and I did not see the pile-up but it does not suprise me. That hill is steep. I had a good year. The vendors and buyers were down but I take stuff that is heavy and would be a pain to ship. I guess we always look at it as our "fishing trip" and if we can pay our expenses we did good.