Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is high-zoot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vancec, Oct 4, 2007.

1. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

I am a newbe and soon to be owner of a chopped '40 Zephyr 3W coupe. My plan is to create an awsome custom out of it and show it.

As a graphic designer by trade, I have an idea for a moniker for the car: "Zoot Coupe". Significance: 1. Zephyr and Zoot start with Z; 2. Zoot is a period-correct term assoiciated with "hep cats" of the 1940s; 3. Zoot Sims is one of my jazz heros.

Problem is, I have been running into the term high-zoot here a lot. What does this term mean? I have ideas for a logo and graphics (oh YES, I'm obsessive) but need to know what other connotations the word Zoot has in the hot rod world. Also, is anyone else using it? (Plagerist I am not.) Help?

PS: is the entire question just too fucking uncool/gay to be considered. (in which case, I was only joking)

Thanks
    Vance

2. roddinron

roddinron

Good luck here Vance, and welcome.

3. I ain't the smartest feller in the world, but is "Zoot" Sims the name that was typed on his birth certificate? If it wasn't why did he call himself that?

High-zoot referes to something being expensive, extravagant and over the top.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If zoot be hep, high zoot is industrial strenght hep. In other words zoot with additional Moxie.

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Or.... the good stuff that costs big bucks

6. spudz

spudz

"He drives a great big car, smokes a big cigar
    looks like a king, and he acts like a star
    when we see him drive by he goes "toot, toot"
    we all shout, "Hey, Mr. Zoot Suit!"

7. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

No idea what 'High"-zoot is....Post Pictures when you get the Zepher K.
    ____the TROUT

8. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

ZOOT? I have no idea...

Dave

9. 1. Traveling in a rarified atmosphere.
    2. Very fine.
    3. Choice material.
    4. Expensive.

10. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

The story is that in an early band, the band leader, for fun, wrote funny names on the front of everyone's music stand. Not knowing, John Sims happened to stand behind the one titled "Zoot" and the name stuck for his entire life. Such were the names of jazz musicians. My father, a trumpet player in the 30s and 40s, had malaria as a kid (in New Orleans area that was pretty common). Since he was always slow getting to school his teacher called him "Pokey". He was Pokey Carriere until the day he died (of course, his real name was Hilliard, so probably better he had a nickname!).

So high zoot means "high-end" sorta? Cool. That works. Does it kinda mean overpriced and lame, tho?

Thanks for the info.

And PLENTY of pics will be forthcoming, when and if I ever get the goddamn car. Shipping down to LA from Olympia Washington. Sucks buying a pig-in-a-poke and then pulling out your hair for weeks until it arrives.

Vance Carriere

11. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

Hey, since I'm new here, how do I set up my preferences to email me an alert when someone posts to a thread I am posting to?

BTW, I like this board. It's like the LCOC website only I can say fuck.

Vance

12. It might imply "overpriced" but "High-Zoot" is for them that can afford it. Luxury.
    Does not mean "lame".

A southern American colloquialism "shitting in high-cotton" may be similar.

13. Notorious

Notorious

Welcome from a fellow jazz aficionado and it's related culture too. I think it's a great name for a hot rod. Looking forward to both the before and after pics, HURRY! :D

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Zoot - high class, over the top, and in my opinion the ultimate expression in smooth carefree coolness ... for that era. I wouldn't cheese it up though, 99% of the "cats" in zoot suits these days callin everybody daddy-o drives the shit out of me. Individualize it. Pull some styling cues from the zoot era for the car, but don't you dare strut around in a zoot suit after that ... please, I beg of you.
    Can't wait to see pics of the car and progress shots - a 40 Zephyr would be perfect for your plans.

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Go to thread tools tab at the top of this column, and click on subscribe to thread, and click notify by email, etc.

16. squirrel

squirrel

17. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

"High Zoot" = "Big Pimpin"

18. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

40 Zephyr is a sweet ride. Hope it turns out well. Being that you live in So-Cal, I would be a little carefull with the name only because there are a lot of dudes down there that have ties to the real Zoot Suiters (parents or grandparents) that went through the riots and don't take kindly to people perpetrating the name or style. I'm not trying to call you a perpetrator in any way, but most people down there wouldn't think to make the Jazz connection. The first thing that ends up coming to mind is the riots. Good luck.

19. OLLIN

OLLIN

I think it would be a cool name, but you would have to do it justice like people have said. It would have to be one slick ride! Not neccessarily Rediculously expensive, but classy and well thought out.
    As long as its cool, and not cheesy you should be ok. I wouldn't worry about the "zoot suit riot" comment too much. from what I heard, the zoot suiters won most of the time anyways. The media made it seem the other way around!

some cars that come to mind are the maroon desoto that was at paso, or the green chrysler etc. etc.

"Look like a diamond, sparklin' and shining...
    better get hep tonight, and put on a zuit suit"

20. Notorious

Notorious

Great picture. It brought to mind a line from Stir Crazy with Wilder and Pryor, "That's right, we bad, uh-huh!" :D

21. To answer one of your original questions, I think this whole name thing is borderline gay. Sounds like you've already got the whole Street Rodder magazine feature figured out.

22. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

Yeah, I can dig the "sort of gayness" of naming a car. Still, I promise you I am not such an A-hole poser as to ever actually wear a zoot suit or anything like that.

I just received the title and the car is currently on a truck from Washington so you have to pardon the graphic designer in me coming up with ways to pass the time. The voices tell me to design logos, think of slogans and concepts. I do what they say.

As far as my plans for the car, I have not cemented anything yet. I tend to want to shave all the chrome off (it is already chopped) drop it to the ground before a great paint and upholstery job. I have tried (in Photoshop) many different color combinations for the car but I will have to wait till I have it in my hands to decide.

I also admire the suede finish and traditional-looking rods so that's not out of the question either.

I am going to have a lot of fun designing the upholstery. I tend to like keeping some of the deco vintage feel. I don't get old hot rods with crazy modern looking interiors that look like they belong on a new Ferrari.

I plan on asking you Hambers for a LOT of advice and opinions. I only hope the car that arrives in two weeks is the car I think it is. It is, supposedly, a rust-free 40 coupe sitting on a 2001 ranger chassis with ranger running gear. You may have seen it on Ebay. When it gets here I'll post tons of pics and ask you all to give your opinions.

Thanks to all,
    Vance Carriere

23. bugggywhip

bugggywhip

was it the black one on ebay?

24. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

homies figurines at liquor stores

25. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

A few years back my car was in a mag and the caption said it wasn't "High Zoot". I took it as a compliment, even thought I wasn't sure what it meant.

26. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

We have a '39 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible Coupe with the vanity license plate "ZOOT".

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

I have always taken High Zoot to mean:

Top Shelf

Top of the Line

E Ticket Ride

Second to None

Cream of the Crop

Best of the Best

Usually the most expensive way possible

Dad used to use it alot (late 70's to the middle 80's somewhere). He will still use it occasionally. But he's in the middle of nowhere Canada right now (somewhere on the Casiar) or I'd ask him to refine it for me.

I like the concept of that name for that car. Hope you can build the car up to match the name. It's not always money, dedication on your part and the willingness to learn whatever skills you need that you don't already have, and LOTS of help from friends.

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Naming your own car is sort of stupid. Seems any car worth a pinch of shit with a name had it applied by admirers not the owner.
    Its very much like making your own nick name.

29. I wouldn't know... I've been Low Zoot my whole life.