Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnum dropped axel complaint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wedgeii1, Sep 27, 2007.

1. I have to agree, I bought three, and all three were bent; not broken, but bent. Maybe I should drop one and straighten it at the same time, see Tech article below. Or, just buy one from Titus, who wrote the Tech piece.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2125533#post2125533

2. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Yeah superbell is good...i havent had a problem yet...i had a problem with magnum and sent it back...

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

4. Did you heat it first?

5. Does 5wBomber take credit cards?

6. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

C9,here's the SB part #'s
    #1021,47 3/4" wide,2 1/4" perch boss
    #1022,47 3/4" wide,2 perch boss
    #1041,46" wide,2 1/4 perch boss
    #1042 46" wide 2" perch boss

You must be ordering the 2" perch version.

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

LOLOLOL... No !

Does that meen you cant buy parts if the Vendor wont take credit cards ?

See what i meen ? Sheeeez !!!

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

And the fact of i have personally seen 3 NEW axles that have BROKEN OFF at the wishbone in an accedant makes me wonder whay ANYONE would buy one. (quote, Desoto)

Would you forward me the names and addresses of the individuals that had these axles break? Any contact information would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Frank

9. I would like to talk to these 3 people also,,,HRP

10. Probably so.

You have some recourse with a credit card if the seller doesn't do what he said he would.

I'd have no problems dealing with someone that an experienced, been around a while HAMB'r recommended.

Just part of being a Ventura guy I suspect....:D

11. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Well, 5WBOMBER is in Solvang, We had like 4 axles done by him and they all look BETTER than the Super Bell or Magnum axle.

They are not taffy stretched like the 'Ol Mor Drops.. But i like the Mor Drop taffy specials mayself !!

12. Let's see pictures... every stock axle, sans '32 axles, that have been dropped look like ass compared to aftermarket axles.

That said, on my traditional '23 T I'm collecting parts for, I bought a stock axle and had it dropped... and would think of using nothing else.

As far as Magnum axles... I had one on my Model A and it fit just fine...

Sam.

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Look in th HAMB~O~DEX for NASTALGIC DROP I think he has pics there.

He did a '32 HEAVY for us that looks so perfect its crazy.

14. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I was at 5wbombers shop in Solvang, and they do good work, I would definately go with an original Henry Ford axle dropped by them.
    805-350 0433 talk to Jordan
    BTW: if Gene Winfield has his axles dropped by them, they must be good:D

15. Jay,

Do you know off hand what the correct torque value is?

16. NOBILLETA

NOBILLETA

Vaphead has this right, the problem is not with your axle, it's with the two variations of the so called Ford 2 1/4" perch boss, if you have the wider bones it won't matter what aftermarket axle you use, you will need a shim. I'm not sure about all the years, but I know that at least some of the 46 to 48 axles/bones are like this, as stated above.

As someone stated earlier Pete & Jakes has a .050 shim made specifically to fix the problem. I think the ones I ordered for my model A with Super Bell axle and 46 bones where about 3 bucks and filled the gap like they where made for it ( oh yeah, they where). :D

17. 392_hemi

392_hemi

All of my '40 Ford wishbones required shims when used with Chassis Engineering axles.

18. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Henry FORD - forged steel
    Chassis Engineering - forged steel
    Magnum and Superbell - ductile iron - aka cast iron

drilled cast iron axle = weakened - hit pot hole = broken axle

Think about it.............

19. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

I think I've decided to return the Magnum. Reason being, I want to drill it myself to save the $200. But if its made of cast iron not forged, that scares me a little. Can anyone recommend whos good for doing an original dropped Henry axle? I found Sid Drapel of droppedaxles.com. Is he anygood? Or what about 5wbomber? Any first hand experience would be appreciated. Thanks.:D

20. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Me too!. I saw a fibre 32 3 window that had been Tee boned.The four bars had pulled the axle back and snapped it!!. I have seen plenty of bent Henry Axles and never saw one that was cracked or broken.
    Henry used Chrome vanadium Steel ,what on earth are these new axles made from? It looks like cast iron to me.

21. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

22. chevrod

chevrod
    from Finland

Ductile isn´t "normal" cast iron it´s much stronger and easily handles the stress of any hotrod.

23. No I don't.

Dug through my 1935 Motors Manual and didn't see anything.

Seems like a generic torque chart would tell you.

For me, I crank it home snug with a medium handled 1/2" drive ratchet wrench.
    No problems, part of it probably due to the nylocks that came with the perch bolts.

Fwiw - my pal with the TCI framed 29 full fendered A roadster lost a perch bolt nut.
    When he got the front end stuff I think he chose the short perch bolt, the one not designed to be used with a SuperBell type lower shock mount.

He tends to rush things and didn't notice the nylon in the nylock nut did not contact the threads.
    About 60 miles from home - Topock - we found he'd lost the nut.
    Since it was Sunday, none to be found so we stuck a pair of Vise-Grips on the threads and motored home.

Monday morning he went to the hardware store and found a thinner jam style nylock nut and no more probs.
    (The threads weren't hurt and cleaned up fine although they had a few dents.)

I like to use nylocks on the spring perch U-bolts as well.
    Seems like every time I pulled the regular spring perch nuts they were a tad loose even though properly torqued on the install.
    Installed nylocks, no more - potential - problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DE SOTO

I meant that you were a Ventura guy and I'm a Ventura guy.;)

Came home from the maternity home in a 32 Phaeton.
    No small wonder I like hot rods....:cool:

24. roundvalley

roundvalley

Three choices on perch nuts: nylox---- locktite ---drill and cotter key. Use all three to be sure?