Register now to get rid of these ads!

It was a "Someday" for someone...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392HEMI4SPEED, Sep 23, 2007.

1. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I picked up my first hot rod Saturday afternoon. I did not get a lot of sleep Friday night just thinking about this event in my life. I really should not say event, but a memorable moment. This memorable moment is a future journey for me and possibly in another 25 years, someone elses.

This car was the hopes and dreams of "someday", for someone else nearly 25 years ago. But, "someday" came and went and the car never moved, until yesterday. The 30 minute job of loading the car took nearly four hours as the we talked about the little history the owner new about it before him, what he had initially done to it and what his plans for "someday" were for it.

I did not say much during the four hours, I just mostly listened. I honestly knew it was hard for him to let go of and and that he wanted me to take as much information that he could provide to me, home with me.

He pointed out all of the imperfections on the car and really stressed that I was buying a project, not a turn key driver. I knew that, but just kept listening. All I could see was a piece of history, a time capsule almost, a diamond in the rough.

Even though I have many old cars, I never really knew a lot about the really old cars. Initially, I believe I was misguided by a couple men with hot rod knowledge and cars. They told me the car was not worth much, too far gone, you do not want to buy a big project like that, but at the same time inquiring as to where the car slept.

Shortly thereafter, I had several honest people tell me what I really had found. I had really found a diamond in the rough. This diamond in the rough is the 33 5W pictured, backed by the 392 Hemi. Also thrown in the mix was a DuCoil Distributor, 4spd setup and the 9" 4:11, plus a few other harder to find parts.

After it was loaded and the title work completed, the owner told me that he would keep my $7,000 for the next couple weeks in case I felt within that time frame that I was ripped off. I told him no.... and that I felt he gave me a really fair hand shake on the car. I also thanked him for the opportunity to buy it and told him that I would take good care of it. I also promised to bring it by someday when complete. Not sure when my "someday" will be, but it will come.

After pictures of us shaking hands in front of the car, I fired up the diesel dually and drove off. Even though the sun was setting, I could still see him standing at the end of the driveway as I drove away extra slowly down the country road. Even though I was happy, it was a bittersweet moment, as he sadly watched his "someday" leave forever, until I could no longer make out the reflection of his image in my mirror.

Just privileged....not much else to say.

Original Pics deleted....hopefully coming soon!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Can these pictures be any smaller? Congratulations.

3. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Sorry about the pictures guys, if someone knows how to load them bigger, pm me your email and I will send them to you. Thanks..

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nice tiny pics.

5. I go pogo

I go pogo

I can hardly see them. Make it run and drive it so the next guy will get a bit of history.
    Pogo

6. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

7. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

Say what you want, that is the way it unfolded. It was personal for him. I cannot and won't put into words all the things he said during our conversations. There is a lot of history and hardtimes behind his story for never completing the car. Real life and real people with unfortunate circumstances is not gay.

8. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Definately a cool little ride though.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

that's pretty fucking gay dude.[/quote]

I hope you never have to good fortune of buying a car off someone who has spent time and energy trying to make a "dream" come true and falling short of the goal. I'm guessing that your final act would be to kick him in the teeth as you were making your departure with his "unfulfilled vision". SAD!!

Frank

10. crapshoot

crapshoot

ya it does sound gay unless hemirat is a chick

ya that is a compeling story but ya wrote it like a stoned out chick. P.S ya gotta have thick skin on the hamb. some of us in here prey on the weak. hahahaha by the way bad ass car. good luck and hope ya stick around.

11. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

i dig a blue hemi.

12. 6volt jolt

6volt jolt

Interesting story. I don't want to say "touching" or I'll be accused of having an unnatural sexual orientation or being a "stone out chick". Not really sure what that is anyway?

Hot looking car -- looks like you're off to a running start!

13. alleyoop

alleyoop

Nice car and a good story to go with it i am sure there is some hist. to go with,keep us all posted with pic and hist..........alley

14. Da Injun

Da Injun

Coming from someone from San Francisco...I guess you know what it takes to be gay.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. crapshoot

crapshoot

there it make's more sense after the spelling was fixed

16. bluestang67

bluestang67

20 plus years with owner i'd say there was history. Looks like you got a great deal . Car is clean on the right side hopefully the other side is the same. A son sold the 31 i have , was stored 50 years inside so i can imagine what the owner's info was that you got.

The 392 is allmost worth that price. Good secret you kept there.

17. titus

titus

Good luck on the build, id love to find an old 33/4 fiver with a hemi.

Ignore all the dickheads here on the hamb and youll be fine.

I believe in all that mushy shit, but i think thats part of being a real car guy. Cars have souls.

Its sad for th guy to see it go, but good for you to get it.

ill have to cruise over and take a look at it sometime

jeff

18. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

If it was me that was selling the car, I would like to think that someone felt the same as you.
    Not gay at all.
    The person that wrote that is a complete ass.

19. Nice story.
    Well written and touches on the emotion of the moment.

What people who don't write don't realize is that the writer has to wear his heart on his sleeve and in a way tell the world what he's all about.

Snide-ass comments don't belong in a thread like this one....

20. BigRed390

BigRed390

Nice find! Good luck with it!

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Very cool car. Listening and relating the stories of an old guy losing what he always thought was going to be his pride and joy isn't gay.

Letting someone get under your skin for razzing you is gay though. :)

22. Looks like a bargain. How did you find out about it?

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a great story.
    Thanks so much for sharing it the way you have.
    You put us all right beside you throughout it.
    Here is your picture on this thread.
    As for the guys who called yourstory gay or girlie.....
    its obvious they are young and most definitely dumb...
    Or they wouldnt have responded in such an immature fashion.
    I agree with C9 ...those type of responses don't belong here.
    I am jealous you have a great project!
    Very very blessed man.

Attached Files:

24. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

Good luck on the build, keep the guy you bought it from informed on the build im sure he would be more than happy to know that the car has a good home. Keep us all posted, i look forward to seeing the build!

25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car and an awesome story. Congrats!

26. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Wow, what a great find!
    The barn find '32 came with a lot of feelings, both good and bad. Good on you for listening to the guy. And I'm sure you will take him for a ride once its done.

Good for you and no, being respectful and NICE is never gay!

27. pitman

pitman

"Something written w/o effort is hardly worth reading." Is the gist of an old quote. Great story, and I'm w/C9 on this. Keep us posted, if you really want to spread the joy outward, show up one day and let the guy "drive" the car he had envisioned. Do you suppose he'd ever forget it?

28. You obviously don't "get it".

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"ya that is a compeling story but ya wrote it like a stoned out chick. P.S ya gotta have thick skin on the hamb. some of us in here prey on the weak. hahahaha by the way bad ass car. good luck and hope ya stick around."

Actually, it seems like the number is way less than "some". Which is a good thing.

Nice car you picked up. Good Karma if you let the guy see/drive it when you get done.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Why do people like you have to be an ass? I guess your mother raised you with Enfamil.

Have some empathy for a guy that had to reluctantly give up his long term project. I'm sure you're the type that would laugh in his face and brag about how much you're going to sell it to your buddy for, but we're not all like that.

Jeff Norwell likes this.