Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 Plymouth Cranbrook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOCO_LOUIE, Sep 20, 2007.

1. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

I just purchased a 53 Plymouth and I want to update front suspension I have checked out several mustang II kits but know one makes one for the Plymouth any suggestions?

2. ...check out Fatman products

3. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

I did no luck.They offer a universal but nothing Ply specific.

4. Neighborhood Complaint

Neighborhood Complaint

I got my 54, Probably gonna go with a nova clip, if the trac's not too wide.

5. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

What year Nova? And does anyone have Photos of custom 53 Plymouth Cranbrook's 2dr post?

6. Neighborhood Complaint

Neighborhood Complaint

I'm gonna try 70 thru 72, but I believe up to 77 or 78 may be same.

7. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

8. 53burb

53burb

LL. Look into the Volare front end. I too want to upgrade the front of my '53 wagon. It may be easier and cheaper than the others like mustang, camaro, nova. I think mid-late '70's Volare' KNUX!

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Might want to look at a Dodge Dakota frame for a clip. The outside of the boxed frame is 38" wide and straight from the kickout behind the front wheels back for almost 3'. The 92 and up are 6 lug wheels, but the 87-91 are 5 lug on a 4 1/2" circle. The 5 lug rotors are a straight swap to the 6 lug spindles. You get independent suspension, disc brakes, and rack & pinoin steering with a track narrower then the Camaro clips. You will probably have to relocate the motor mounts, but that shouldn't be much of an issue if your capable of performing the clip. Gene

10. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

Wow thank to all of you guys> I will look in to all the options you guys mention.

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I helped build a 54 for my buddy, Ken. I installed a 1980 Camaro sub in it. It drives and handles very well, but Ken really wanted the car LOW, and the slightly wider front end made the tires rub. Even with metric rotors, narrowed A frames, and the most backspacing we could have on his wheels, it still rubs a bit. Could be the way the fenders cut in pretty far behind the stainless trim. Perhaps the stock wheel and tire combo would have rubbed if it was that low. I would check out other alternatives than the Camaro/Nova one, but be warned.
    We also chopped it.

Attached Files:

12. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

The Fat Man clips are designed only for two door cars. Found that out the hard way after ordering one for a four door 1949 Dodge Coronet. Had to have a clip custom made.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Interesting about that Fatman clip thing on the Dodge.
    Every Mopar, and other make in that time period for that matter, I've ever seen had the same front end under every body, i.e. forward of the firewall they are identical in any given year or group of years.

14. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

Anyone have pics of a chop 53 Cranbrook?

15. Here is a picture of a 53 Plymouth 2dr HT chopped and sectioned and lowered a total of 9 inches all together!!!!

Attached Files:

16. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

dang bro, you made a cranbrook look like that... nice work. got any build pics? you should post a thread. cranbrooks are pretty cheap, i think more people would buy them if they could look like that.

17. I wish I owned that car. That car was done by Barris in 1957 for a guy out in CA.

18. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

LL, I,ve got a 52 PLY 2 door sedan I,m gonna unload, pretty stripped but still a good parts. Body, suspension, windows all there.
    pm if interested, I,AM in Riv.. Will be posting on the for sale boards soon

19. 66cadillac

66cadillac
    from So. Cal

im wondering if i could chop the windows from your 52 and put them on my 53, two piece windows are way better.

20. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

i was gonna say that the picture looked a little dated but, i thought maybe you scanned a disposable camera pic. you cranbrook guys should give it a shot... it would be nice to see something other than a ford or chevy done nice like the barris pic above.

21. 53burb

53burb

I just saw that Plymouth pic that Barris did in my Old Navy little hotrod book. Kool ride! KNUX!

22. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

23. 53burb

53burb

I know Chris from Friday nights at Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake. Ya got to see his car in person. The thing is just right and super clean. Stands out from all the fords and chevies by far. KNUX!

24. FOURLUG

FOURLUG

He is right, I have a 54 and I spent 2+ years looking and measuring every mopar
    clip I could get my hands on. I got a 91 and it will slide right in to the stock frame with very little modification.

James

25. FOURLUG

FOURLUG

Here a some pics.

Attached Files:

26. ian

ian

I grafted in a shoebox windshield into my 54' Plymouth. Pretty easy, just time consuming.

27. Whos white plymouth is that??

28. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

I found another pic of that white car on another site I wonder who's car it is.

Attached Files:

29. 53burb

53burb

Ask Gambino or Cab. I think he is either a Road Zombie or good friends with them. I saw it at the Primer Nats couple years ago. KNUX!