Register now to get rid of these ads!

E.C.I. disc brake kit...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwatson1953, Sep 19, 2007.

1. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

ok, i've had my bracket kit installed for some time and finally got around to buying calipers for the front of my '53 Chevy (210).

i installed them last night and ran into a problem i can't figure out...
    i just rebuilt the front end of the beast and had removed the tie-rods.
    well, after installing the calipers and checking everything for clearance i decided i would check the clearance on the tie-rod ends to the steering arms....well, there's the problem.

the lower caliper bolt/pin sticks out just far enough to NOT allow the castle nut to thread onto the tie-rod end...i just got the "whatever cheapo" caliper bolt/pins...don't know if that's the problem or not.

has anyone else had this problem? are there other bolts/pins that have a shorter head on them...it's just a tad too tight...

let me know what you think. thanks

Chris

2. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

anyone??....i can't figure this out and i'm trying to get this done today...i called in "sick" to work:D

3. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

if its just the tip of the caliper bolt can't you just grind it off? the bolt had threads near the allen head so grinding a bit off the tip shouldn't harm anything

4. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Why don't call ECI they have allways been helpfull.Class act.

5. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

yea, i considered that, but just always like to check other options first.

thanks man.

Chris

6. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

yea, that's my next step before grinding any bolt heads.

thanks for the input.

Chris

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

this is probably the most common problem with the ECI kit on SOME chevys. the best way to fix it is to heat the steering arm with a torch and bend them down slightly.

8. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

Thanks man.
    yea, i just got off the phone with ECI and thats what they suggested.

thanks for the reply.

Chris

9. So; that new motor made it painfully apparent that you needed more stopping power?

Cool car, Chris! Keep on keepin' on!

10. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

thanks!
    hehe...well, that and since i'm building it for daily driving....i figured with houston traffic power discs up front would be nice :D

i'm still not sure if i'm going power brakes or not though...depends on the cash flow! haha

11. You may do ok without power assist.
    It's just a convenience thing anyway and doesn't make the brakes any more powerful than they would be if manually operated.

My pal just put what sounds like the same thing you have on his probably the same weight as your 53 Chevy, 46 Ford sdan w/SBF & C4, solid axle, parallel rear leafs.

He reports it stops well and pedal effort is easy enough that he's not gonna do the power assist bit.

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'm running mine without a booster too, pedal effort is decent, obviously manual, but not excessive.

13. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

truthfully, i wasn't planning on it but then saw some pretty cool power assist kits for my '53 and they aren't that expensive...but now, my budget's getting tighter and my timeline shorter (i'm building this car to drive to Vegas next april for my wedding)

yea, the '53 weighs somewhere around 3400-3500 lbs i think, not too too heavy, but still some good weight.

i keep leaning more and more towards just a good dual MC w/out power.

thanks for the input!

14. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

cool, thanks for the input! i'm leaning that way...