Register now to get rid of these ads!

165R15 Tires Discontinued??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kruzer63, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

On all my hotrods and even my S10 i run 165R15's on the front as they are the small skinny hotrod tire that is really a perfect size when runnin a radial. They are a typical VW tire popular on beetles. Now I bought a set last year no issues, but went to check on a price today and the tire store tells me they have been discontinued and cant get them without ordering online from coker or some place. Is this true??? Anyone else have trouble getting this size at all?? It would really suck to have to start buying black wall tires from specialty tire shops now too??

2. manacoem

manacoem

I believe Coker still carries them... I got some T/A 's not too long ago. They ship fast and no hassles this is the only way to get things done anymore ..get used to it.. Later (manacoem)

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

plenty available here in denver, let me know if you need some help.

4. tjm73

tjm73

Open ANY vw magazine point at any add and it will likely have 165R's in it. Many companies make them. Sounds like you tire place doesn't want to take the time to get them for you.

5. We buy em ocal and in Denver. Found bettter tread patterns in Denver. Many different brands in that size. I dig the Vredesteins (Dutch I believe)

6. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

They're out there, just harder to find and seems like they've gone up in price. It took me a couple days to find some for my VW. Most of the places either said they can't get them or are discontinued. I talked to one tire guy and he said they still make them, but let them out in runs certain times of the year, they don't make them constantly all year. Made sense to me. Even some of the tire guys were shocked that they are so hard to find because of the cars that use them are still somewhat plentiful. A lot of VW places have the tires listed online, but are either on back order or no longer available, even tirerack.com was out when I was looking. I got a pair of Nankangs, so I know they still make some. Coker sells them too in various brands and prices, I didn't feel like waiting and paying shipping for them. Good luck with your search.

7. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

8. People still sell them... but to get the good-looking Michelin ones, you gotta go to Coker. Even then they only make so many a year.

Sam.

9. tjm73

tjm73

BFG has the Radial T/A 155/80R15. It's comparable in size.

Dayton Daytona (a brand owned by Bridgestone) has 2 different 165R tires still.....I think.

10. Brianhulud

Brianhulud

I have kuhmos on my vw and they have been nice. quiet and smooth ride, well...as smooth as it can be in a vw heh

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I just got one from Discount tire. Price had gone up markedly from the last one I bought, but availability was within a day (not in the store, but in the local warehouse).

12. sawzall

sawzall

bought some this summer ... locally..

they were black walls however..

took a day to get them.. but they are certainly available..

13. Jess H

Jess H

Yep, we got them in a few differnet brands, blackwall and whitewall.

Jess

14. flathead fred

flathead fred

I know the Firestone dealerships around here have an off-brand in that size, check them.

15. Try finding SoCal Imports, Inc on North Paramount in Long Beach, CA. The owner has one of the biggest VW mail-order places around, and carries all kinds of 135-15, 145-15, 165-15, 185-15, and others. Used to be, he carried Michelin, Nankang, Kleber, Semperit, Pirelli Cinturato (which I know are long gone now) and others.
    I just found the ad in the new issue of HotVWs.. I used to work for that magazine, and got to know Andy, the owner, pretty well. He's a good guy, and has a few hot rods he keeps under wraps so the VW guys don't think he's "selling out" lol
    165-15 - $38.95 each + shipping
    145-15 -$54.95 + shipping
    135-15 -$53.95 + shipping
    7.00x15- $71.95 + shipping
    185/65-HR15 - $54.95 + shipping
    185/55 HR 15 - $61.95 + shipping

SoCal Imports
    6831 N. Paramount Blvd
    Long Beach, CA, 90805
    Mail order: (562) 633-4979
    www.socalautoparts.com

16. jackandeuces