Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question-turbos/radiators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakesmod, Sep 1, 2007.

1. lakesmod

lakesmod

I want to use a turbo on my current project(22Re Toyota) with a carb. Can I use any turbo (for a 4 cylinder) in a draw through configuration?

The same project will have a rear mounted radiator. I have the radiator from the Toyota and also one from a 454 Suburban. I have read on this board about air flow to the radiator being the key to success, but would starting out with the larger radiator help?
    Fred

2. synthsis

synthsis

Any turbo will work as long as it's piped correctly. The Carb and vacuum hat are more important than the turbo itself.

3. Boynamedsue

Boynamedsue

well the 4 cylinder turbo will spin the same turbine Rpm as any other turbo except those in diesel applications so you are fine in that aspect. just dont expect a whole lot of boost out of a turbo built for a smaller displacement motor. you figure it produces the amount of boost according to the displacement of the motor. it will produce boost though that will increase power though. just make sure you get all the things you need. you will definately need a boost controller, wastegate, if you drive far distances get a turbo timer as well. sure its not nessecary but long drives will heat the turbo extremely hot and shutting it off and letting it cool quickly can damage seals and bearings. just do the proper research out the configureation that will have and as long as its done properly you wil be happy with results

4. There's a lot of shit to consider when turbocharging. Better read up on the basics. That site has a pretty decent forum- someone posted a bunch of compressor maps, turbo ID guides, etc. I'd guess any turbo would work but if you're turbocharging you might as well do it efficiently.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you use a turbo ment for blow through, as are most, it most likely will not have a double lip seal on the shaft. When you close the throttle, vacum on the inlet side will suck oil from the bearing and into the intake. Lots of smoke.

6. MVM

MVM

I assume its a iron block with pretty decent sleeves correct ?

Another question.. What are you looking to do with this build and how much power do you think need? Ive been turbo charging imports for years with great success.

This information will help me help to you to find the right intercooler by what CFM's you will be producing, turbo sizing, and etc.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

When running a turbo, Run as much radiator as you can get. And draw as much CFM as you can through that bad boy, cause it'll get hot. Any turbo will work as long as it's plumbed properly, just remember that the larger the turbo, the larger the lag. Make sure you run a proper wastgate, set to bleed at the right boost level. Otherwise Kablam. :D

8. lakesmod

lakesmod

Thanks for the information all that replyed.
    I'm not looking to set any LSR's. Just a "back yard/junk yard" type project.
    I would look for a turbo from something close to my engines displacement and use a "pop off valve".
    I need to keep this as simple as I can.
    In a draw through system I diden't think you could use a inner cooler.

Fred

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Dreddy is right. When I was running a turbo charged 270 GMC, that thing made some serious heat. Lots of raditor if you are going to use the boost.