Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hoarder or Flipper?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zibo, Aug 29, 2007.

?
  1. Hoarder - build or buy with intent to keep

113 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. Flipper - build or buy with intent to resell

19 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Just was wondering what the HAMB ratio is.
    I'm to the point that the DRIVING hot rods I have i'd hate to sell,
    even though they're not the most refined.

Alot of guys are good at building something just to flip,
    make a chunk of change, pay off bills and start again.
    Other guys like me build the car(s) they'll die with.

Any input?

tp

2. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

It's mine I tell you. MINE!!!

3. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

At this point the bias is way on the hoarder side....

All the flippers are watching the classifieds. :)

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

i am a hoarder, but i watch the ads and i do sell sometimes, i almost never run ads to sell just sell when someone says they need a part if i dont really want it i sell somebody ask me about 49-52 chevy frames and powergluide cores

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I think there is too much energy put forth worrying about what others are doing or not doing with the cars.So many people build their cars like they think other people will like,instead of doing what they like and being happy.
    I buy and sell constantly, it's how I make money.
    I have two favorite cars ,the one I just sold and the one I just bought.
    I save my love and respect for my family ,the cars are just fun.

6. As far as cars go, I'm not so much a hoarder, but a caretaker. I'll be a long time finishing this damn car at this rate, and I would hate to sell it because I'll probably never get everything back out of it. But as far as parts, I'm a flipper.

7. Retrorod

Retrorod

I tend to keep things probably longer than I should. At my pace it seems like nothing is ever going to get "finished" anyway. My '35 sedan has been in my fleet since 1998 and I'll probably be buried in it. I have an old '73 Datsun truck that we put a 289 Ford engine in back in 1975.......it's still sitting on the trailer now with a SBC 406, Powerglide, ladder bars/9" and a full roll cage, it hasn't been run in three or four years.............but I still keep it. I get rid of nothing.

8. whitlock

whitlock

I always say that I am going to keep everything but then I get excited about something else. Then it is time to sell.

9. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Hoarder. In my younger days as a guitar player, I'd always flip em and eventually realized that I lost some guitars that I really liked and, even if I got a similar guitar, it never played or sounded the same as the one I sold. At some point, I decided I'd never sell another guitar. I carried that belief over to cars. Cars are much, much bigger than guitars. Unfortunately, I'm out of room and stuff that I've always wanted and never, in my wildest dreams, thought I could swing getting are starting to look like I might be able to afford are becoming available. I think I'm about to switch from hoarder to flipper. But, the next ones I'll never sell. Right...

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I am totally into it for 15 minutes. I get something, finish it, and then lose interest. Sell, start over. Its Kustom Ground Hog's Day.

11. Mike

Mike

I'm definately a hoarder. I'm currently up to 21 vehicles, of which 14 are on the road, registered and insured.

12. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Your insurance bill must eclipse my monthly mortgage payment...

13. 53chevy

53chevy

Wow! Mike that's a fleet. That's pretty amazing to say the least.

Ken

14. I call myself a Whoarder. I'm an old car whore and a old motor whore. I'll sell my stuff right after the sale of my wife and kids

15. Mike

Mike

I get a big discount for having so many cars and my home insured with the same folks. It still adds up though.

16. Heepster

Heepster
    from Texarkana

I'm living in Memphis while my wife attends dental school. Since I don't have a shop here, I spend most of my time hoarding. When she graduates in May I will start building.:D I will swap or give away parts to friends but never sell.

17. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

HEY TRAVIS,

JUST WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO PIN POINT HERE :confused:

DID IT ELL YA, I GOT ANOTHER ONE..'54 FORD
    GASSER PROJECT :D

AND HEY, WAS THE $5.00 YOUR COMISSION ?.....
    HeHeHeHe ......... :cool:

18. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I voted hoarder but actually I've flipped about 25% of the car and parts stock that I have purchased in the past two decades. I once built a car with the express intent of selling it later but I still have it and have no immediate plans for selling.

19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I hoard but will let things go to achieve my goals.

20. Kept the coupe 16 years. Built a T roadster, drove it 750 miles. Time will tell with the 29 roadster.

21. I wanna be a hoarder but can't afford to be so I flip one occasionally so I can keep one. I will eventually get the number up.

22. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Too poor to hoard.

Too fickle as well.:eek:

23. guiseart

guiseart

I almost ALWAYS buy with the intent of keeping it, whatever "IT" is... but it never works out that way, there is always something more interesting to be acquired when said project is close to completion, or maybe I just get bored with the one that's almost done - grass is greener deal, not sure.

24. mustangsix

mustangsix

For me the fun is in the building. I can't keep and drive all of them anyway so I let them go to guys who can't build.

25. I Drag

I Drag

What is this "make a chunk of change" of which you speak?

26. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

its the one thats usually 20% less than what you needed!

tp

DESOTOS the king hoarder!

27. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Now that I am retired, I plan to become a flipper..........maybe make a bit of money.

28. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I'm primarily a hoarder, but only of stuff I intend to use and drive. I also have some project or parts that are specifically for resale after some work.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I flip cars & parts so I can afford the stuff I'm Hording. The '30 ford roadster body I found in 1963-64 may become a finished car, but it really doesn't matter. Sold it to a guy who had it for 25 years, he never did anything with it either, got it back when he moved.

30. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

When ever I bought something (boat,car, motorcycle,property you name it) I use it, improve it,and sell it.The grass is always greener on the other side.Now this is my first ground up build,I would like to think I'm going to keep it,but you never know what opportunity may be waiting around the corner.