Register now to get rid of these ads!

What axle is this??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by road_king, Aug 23, 2007.

1. road_king

road_king
    from US

Someone gave me this a a while back and now that Im starting on my cars I pulled it out. Since I'm new to this I don't know what it came from, definitely different then my A model front axles I have around. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this is one (burried under my stuff I pulled from the basement today) is from an A model

[​IMG]

2. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

looks like f1 or f100 to me....

id say more liely to be f100, as its the same as the complete '53 f100 axle i got my brakes and spindles off for my A.

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

dezaster, how do you tell? Is there a specific (obvious) difference between the F1 / F100 and say the GMC 100?

4. InPrimer

InPrimer

Looks like my son's F 1

5. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

i dont know, ive never seen a chevy axle off the truck, so couldnt comment on differences/similarites.

it just looks the same as what ive got!!
    it has that funky shaped steering arm which always makes me think ford- even when mangled up and welded to the axle- i bet this was under a farm trailer wasnt it?, and the drums are flat-faced, whereas i think f1 drums have a snout/bulge to them, if i remember correctly.

edit- the bolt pattern doesnt appear to be 5x5.5 though.......

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i dont think it is F-1 because it doesnt have a hole for the tube shock stud, typically a ford axle without the hole would be a 42?-47 but that would have the 12" 42-48 car type brakes
    im guessing not a ford....but im not up on the paralell axles

could be newer then F-1?

was it on a trailer? looks like things are welded together?
    Zach

7. the f100 has a bracket that goes between the axle and the U bolts for the shocks
    its A f100 axle
    tk

8. it's proably easilyest if you just check but the stud pattern- also if theres any tears in the bolt holes don't use it! because it looks like the left front has a tear in it

9. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

if it was chevy it would have 6 lug pattern.

10. nexxussian

nexxussian

I thought they swapped back and forth between 5 and 6 lug?

11. squirrel

squirrel

how about a close up of the back of the brake? and measure the bolt circle for the wheel, but also tell us how you measured it.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The wheel bolt pattern should be 5 on 5.5" circle if it is a Ford.
    The Chevrolet/GMC pattern would be 6.
    Dodge pickups have 5 on 4.5" circle.

The one kingpin showing has a flat top which indicates Ford to me. The Chevys have straight pins and "freeze plug" covers.

13. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

It looks chevy. The early axle has smaller king pins then the later one. Here are the measurements for the axles
    1946-55 series 1 chevy 52-1/2" kingpin to kingpin 26-3/4" spring center to center 2-1/8" boss .865 kingpin dia. 1-3/4" wide spring
    Earlier chevy has same measurements then the 46-55 but different Kingpin Dia (smaller)
    55-59 Chevy is 54"KP tp KP 31-7/8" spring center to center .865 kp dia.
    46-47 &48-52 Ford 50-3/4"KP to KP 29" spring center to center 1-3/4" wide spring .812KP dia.
    53-56 Ford 53-1/2" KP to KP 32-1/4" spring center to center 2-3/8" KP boss .859KP dia. 1-3/4" wide spring
    57-59 same measurements as 53-56 but takes 2" wide spring
    Hope this helps everyone...SID
    www.droppedaxles.com

14. road_king

road_king
    from US

Thanks for all the replies, I dont know the history of it. I'll just be using it for my mock up because it doesnt look to sound to me. I was just curious about it because I saw a pic on here of one similar to it used on a A model with a suicide front end. Thanks.

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Pretty sure it's 61, 62 or so F-100. Should be 5 on 5.5.

16. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

the brakes themselves are pretty good for a hydraulic conversion on a model A axle. if you get really lucky (like i did), its a bolt on fit. f100 spindles are supposed to have larger kingpins (no biggie if they are, the model A axle can be reamed larger), but it appears some early f100 axles like mine have the smaller size kingpin.

i bolted mine up, then removed the steering arms, and cut them down and reshaped them so they look a lot nicer-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. road_king

road_king
    from US

Good info on the conversion

18. road_king

road_king