Register now to get rid of these ads!

lonestar roundup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pinup65, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Coming from Melbourne, Australia in April for the LoneStar Roundup. Just wondering what is there to do around Austin as I would like to book accomidation,etc and wondering how long to book for. Going to Viva Las Vegas the following weekend

2. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

what to do? most people never leave. book as long as possible...believe me. especially the days leading up to the Roundup.

3. Devils_Instigator

Devils_Instigator
    from Tejas

Its ok if your into the city thing. Im more of a country boy I guess.

4. Just spend a week or two at the Continental Club. That would do me! :)

5. Firecracker

Firecracker

WHat is there not to do in Austin? It's a great place. I hopin that my truck will be done by that time so that I can make it out there!

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Jeez Boris. Why don't you just wear I"M A LUSH across your chest? I'd stare for hours.:D

There are parties and bars and neat places to shop. Austin is also just a hop away from San Antonio *near and dear to MAH heart*. Rent a car and drive ALL over. When we went, we didn't pre-book a hotel. We rented a car and drove around Texas, stayed where ever we wanted and then headed to Austin for the Roundup and pretty much did the same thing.

It's not too difficult if you're willing to try.

7. Great question, I missed it last year since I chose to go to Viva instead, what a mistake! I just hope the "A"ttitude is done in time.

8. cwatson1953

cwatson1953

The real question is,...what ISN'T there to do in Austin.

i tend to hand out at hole in the wall bars on 6th,...

during roundup, we end up on Congress on some street corner drooling at all the rides... :)

9. 30roadster

30roadster

If you have a big budget the 4 seasons is right down the hill from the continental club on town lake and is beautiful. I got a deal there last year by asking them if they would match the raddisons rate...they are competition up the hill on south congress. If you are on a budget you can pick one of the hotels off of the list on the lonestar roundups webpage. There are lots of fun things to do in Austin but during roundup you will want to be close to South Congress Ave and all it's fun. People and car watching are what it's all about. here is a good list of just a few of the great places... do a search on the HAMb...there was a long list of local resturants you should visit posted last february or so....everyone gave their two cents.

bring your swim suit too

and another fun list

if you get time...might want to catch a sunset at the oasis

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

You have got to visit Rudy's Bar-B-Que. It's the best around. And, take home a bottle of their "special sauce". Austin's a great place to just relax. There is river tubing and if you look around, you'll find all kinds of things. You don't have to sit in bars the whole time. The are alot of unique shops there also. There is a drag strip in Marion that's about 20 miles away on Highway 10 just east of San Antonio. Have fun and see you there!.

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm doing the same. Flying out to Austin Fri, doing the Roundup/Austin thing, then sometime early in the week flying/catching a ride to Vegas. Anyone wanna pick up a hitchhiker and his girl? Can't wait!

12. What can I say... I like country music. :)

...and I'm not afraid to admit it! LOL

Austin's a great place and I'm sure there are heaps of things to do, but I'm also sure that if you rolled up to the Roundup, you wouldn't have to go looking too far. Just hang out, check out the rides, drink beer and listen to music. What more could you want? :cool:

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I thought maybe you're implying as to how you would sit at the bar for hours, admiring your finely coiffed quiff in a frosty mug of beer.

:D

14. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

If I were to decide which one to choose from between lonestar and vegas, I'd choose Lonestar any time. Went to both this year and Austin kicks butt. The cruising was awesome, which was not the case in Vegas. I think Vegas was too big of a meet, it kind of got crowded what ever we did. But I'm a country boy. Oh, and we went by car from Austin to Vegas and that was a good ride.

15. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Man, I love that Roundup talk has started so early! I went ahead and booked my room at the Homestead on 1st Street (again). If you look online, it says "not available", but if you call them directly you can secure a room now.

16. magnus, the trip from austin to vegas how long does it take and is it worth the drive or are we better off flying and having more time in vegas.

17. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

We left Austin on monday but we stayed a good amount time at Flattop Bob's junkyard and speeded the rest of the trip to Vegas. My advice is to absolutley stop by Bob's place and the try to squeeze in a break at Grand Canyon and then Vegas. If you do a search on this forum for posts started by Klaus you'll find our " swedes do the Rt 66" travel diary. There's a lot to read and a few good pictures too. Take your time and plan a nice journey. Bob can be found under his nick Flattop Bob here as well. He's the best.,
    Found the link
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167995&highlight=klaus

18. Yeah, that too! ;)

Pinup65 - It's a bit of a hike from Austin to Vegas, it all depends on how much time you have to spend. On our honeymoon (back in 2000), my wife and I decided to fly from Vegas to San Antonio as it was a couple of days of (leisurely) driving that we just couldn't fit in. And we were there for three months.

We wanted to see a LOT, and we did.

It would be a great drive though, as there's some great countryside to check out.

Go to mapquest.com or maps.google.com and check it out. We didn't really want to drive more than four hours per day (although we often did), as you don't want to spend the entire holiday in the car.

Being a West Aussie, I'm used to long drives, so that wasn't the problem. Drove from Miami to Savannah, Georgia on one day! :eek:

19. Made my reservations today at the Austin Lone Star RV resort. Awesome deal $210 for three nights in a Deluxe cabin. This place sleeps 6 people has kitchen, bathroom, cool surroundings, and is 5 miles from down town. They have 3 more deluxe cabins still for the weekend. if interested ask for Maria.

http://www.austinlonestar.com/index.html

Now I'd better get the car done:eek:

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'll give you specific since it seems no one else has mentioned that you want to make sure you are in Austin by the Wed nite/or Thursday morning at the latest, before the show starts. Why? Because Reggie has an open house/BBQ at his shop that is a great kick off to the weekend. It takes place during the day on Thursday.

From Reggie's everyone goes to one of the Thunderbolts for Thirsty Thursday. We left there about 9pm and headed over to the South Austin Speed Shop to hang out. Lots of HAMB folks milling around. Cruz on Congress is already starting along with the great entertainment at the Continental CLub.

On Friday morning Reggies leads over 50 cars on a 5 or 6 stop garage crawl. It's a not to be missed opportunity to see some of the greatest shops in the area. Lasts until about mid-day.

Friday nite the South Austin had live entertainment and of course the cruzn on Congress was PACKED.

Show on Saturday with more cruzn on Congress that nite.

Sunday is a BBQ/open house at Flyrite Choppers. Also a don't miss event.

The last two years we flew home at 6pm on Sunday nite and felt that we could not have squeezed another minute of fun in there anywhere and also felt that I didn't miss anything either.

Looking forward to meeting you in person

21. Denise Nailed it, just get there early like she says wednesday or thursday. do the BBQ and garage crawl( I missed them both last year, due to job's i had to get finished) Cruise alot, and take plenty of time to hit up all the clubs, bars restaraunts etc. Just the walk down S.Congress at early evening and at night is un-describable, I can't say enough about it with out serious explitives :D hehe The music, the atmosphere were just a car nuts dream. Be sure you bring your camera and a camcorder as well as stock in energizer batteries. I took some 1000 pics there and about 3 hours of video, and still have not had time to load or edit it all. We met a ton of great people and my wife is hooked now, says we have to go each year.

anyhow before I get long winded you wont regret coming a few days early and just takin life easy Texas Style ...

22. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Take a look at the Roundup's website, so you can see what is on the agenda (Registration and related details should be posted early January 2008).

Don't forget to arrive in Austin a few days early so you can participate in the garage crawl and gatherings at local hangouts.

Be sure to attend as many featured gatherings and events (live music, etc.) You won't regret the extra time spent in town!

RGV