Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT?? Late 60's-70's Funnycars....Where are they????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterCustom, Aug 20, 2007.

1. RPM

RPM

A guy near me has one of Dyno Don's old FC has a Hemi Cammer motor in it still.

2. brandon

brandon

i sold him some old m&h pie crust.....i had talked to him a couple years before and he was mentioning all the stuff he had then ....tons of crazy stuff....a buddy sent me some shots of his place ......landy's 65 dodge awb car and the super mongoose dragster were a couple ....with a ton of old schwinns hanging above them ....crazy....last time i talked to him he said something about having parts of the quad al fiat..like i said....crazy stuff.... brandon:D

3. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Our old Volare AA/FC from the 70's ended up in South Africa !!! .. but we are currently in the recreation of an Arrow for the N/FC maybe next yr.

Attached Files:

4. brandon

brandon

after checking out the build pics....that car was pretty trick for 69....totally onlike anything else from that time....the chassis setup is pretty close to a modern promod setup sans the straight axle.... brandon:D

5. Bought a late 60's dragster from a guy in Texas that has the mold to the Mongoose's '57 chevy funny car body. I always was into the early funny's

6. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

I nearly bought a later Larry Gould body I found on eBay (I think the car was called "Pandemonium") - no use for it, even though it was dirt cheap - the rear wells were "radiused" for sand drag use, but it was more than salvageable. I sent the note to the 70s funny cars. com guys, I think someone bought it.

Don - FWIW, you are doing the right thing, honestly and old Funny car has a limited market, so asking outrageous prices is not going to move it.

SUHR - Bruce Larson is a legend to me, I grew up by E-Town watching him in many of the USA-1 cars. I was stoked when Joe Amato picked him up, basically helping him win the World Championship - his barn is totally cool, tons of old race cars and Nostalgia.

Honestly, I love the old Funnies, they rule - but 2 things happened to me that changed it a bit. First was Magnante's Nova A/FX, then seeing all the kick ass nostaligic rails that are now getting more popular. Once I saw the Beebe & Mulligan repro, I was hooked...

7. As with most cars, it was retired....the chassis was shortened and a corvette body was placed on it. After that I have no record. The body itself sits in a field or barn in Arkansas I think.....the owner is gonna get to it some day.....Same guy has had it for 15 years I know of....Anybody want to make a rebel glass body?????hahhha....

Don

8. vintakes

vintakes

i can remember being at the englishtown swap meet in the 90's and seeing a 65 buick skylark one piece glass bodied funny car for sale with a blown buick 430 and a hemi car seemed to be complete he wanted 8 k for everything i already had a race car and no more garage spce so i passed it up come to find in older 60's car craft or hot rod magizine an article about the buick funny car it stated they only made 2 65 skylark bodies and i was looking at one of them heck should 've bought it sold the hemi stuff and almost would've had a free funny car but hey i'm GREAT!!!!!!!! at hindsight love seeing the older floppers but there's still nothing like real fuel altereds john

9. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

There will be a day when these cars are worth of gold. It hurts me to see those bodies storaged outside...

10. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

They were talking to Terry Capp at our local track yesterday and apparantly he laid down the fastest pass ever for a nostlagia funny car in Mission, B.C. on July 15/07. 5.853/249.03mph Now I'm not sure if it's a for sure or not, or if someone has run faster allready. He's been driving a Gordie Bonin Firebird car, not sure if it's the original or not but it looks damn cool..!!! I might be a bit biased being it's a bunch of Candians tho... :D

Attached Files:

11. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

theres one on a 30 ft pole on Highway 20 outside of Ft. Worth, Texas...............random useless knowledge

12. T-Roy

T-Roy

Here are some pics I took at the '06 CHRR of the Hawaiian. And a pic of Dale Pulde and I in the pits at Famoso. Dale is currently restoring one of the"War Eagle" funnycars from the early-mid 80's. If you ever get the chance to meet him, he's a really nice guy. He's always at the CHRR's, usually walking the pits with wife (also very nice), Valerie Harrell. Valerie of course is the daughter of drag racing legend Dick Harrell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Troy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  13. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

Here is a couple shots of Big Mike Burkharts Camaro that I am retrostoring ( original body late model chassis).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

South Jersey has quite a few sitting round

15. thats it, im going to watch american nitro.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Satan,

Whereabouts in South Jersey???

17. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

ftroop - that's killer stuff - why the late model chassis, was it because it was separate from the body or is the intent to run it and needed to be up to spec?

18. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

The body did get seperated, it became his 1970 Camaro. I was going to build an original style Hardy chassis, but I decided to go with a late model chassis so I could run as hard as I want. The car will be painted up as it was in the day.

19. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Cool - good luck! I saw reference to your upcoming entry into NFCA - between that and the P&H Willys (and your '55), you have some collection there - I'm jealous! :)

20. VintageDragClub

VintageDragClub

Way Cool Stuff,

The Movement is growing like crazy.

We are involved with most of the old legends and are doing new items all the time.

Have Fun,
    Fred
    http://www.VintageDragClub.com

21. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

22. ftroop

ftroop
    from Detroit

I think that is thr body that Virgil Hartman bought from Brian Hatten. The car is now complete. Its called Ms Scarlet. Rhonda Hartmen Smith drives it.
    [​IMG]

23. Rand Man

Rand Man

The Invader, '69 Vette Funny Car lives in Northwest Arkansas. The original owner is restoring it.

Attached Files:

24. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I don't know why but this one looks bad ass. Maybe because I used to have a similar Matchbox toy as a child. Makes me want to build one on the street with extended wheelbase... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

That '89 Championship car is in the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.

26. Couple of the famous ones got outside US, mainly to UK and then Norway, Sweden and Finland.
    Blue Max is in Finland, riding SuperComp, as well as California Charger
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. LUSK

LUSK

Where you looking for photos of the OLY ROLLER for me? Which one of these bodies is MIke MIllers OLympia Beer Mustang? OLd Beet do you know? I want to Buy it now! How much for the re-pop Vega bodies??

Attached Files:

28. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Attached Files:

29. coyotedale

coyotedale

Most of the nostalgia funny cars that are racing today are new pipe with older bodies that are repops from originals. The effort is to just capture the spirit of when racing these cars was fun and didn't take a kings ransom to own and operate.

There are a few cars out there that are the real deal, older pipe with a old body,,, both referbished to running condition.

A friend of mine has the Super Chief funny car that belonged to Nelson Carter. This is the Logghe chassied car with the red/white charger body. The car is pretty much intact without motor or driveline. He will use newer engine parts but still build with the spirit of how the car was back then. I'm trying to talk him into going with a Lenco drive, as you will get the same performance and attitiude as it was then, without the inherent dangers of useing a torqueflite.

30. Ramblur

Ramblur

Cool stuff for sure, In the late 70's I rented a spot in an old theater/
    garage,coolest place ever. Had a Mercury Cyclone flop-top leaned
    up against a wall. Iirc a Lee Eliminator or GT1 paint. Lost all those
    pics in a later garage fire. Anyhow it would be cool to find out if that
    body still survives...