Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Detectives Show 32 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldchevyseller, Aug 17, 2007.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, was the car an original lakes car? The way things work down under we may see that show in 3-6 years......

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Of course not! It is a nice restorod.

3. moses

moses

the show was excellent indeed watched it last eve

4. I watched it, it was an AB model, 4 cyl with a Flathead V8 in it. They did a great job on research and explaining history of cars. I really liked the show in general.

The owner claimed that the original motor when he bought it was too fast so he pulled it and dropped in another Flathead. The history inspector took the original motor to Tardell and the block was 41 Merc and it had extensive machine work done to it and a 48-53 Merc crank. The combo of parts makes the motor built sometime around 1950.

The body looked like a nice original that someone worked over. The body had absolutely no modification to it. The floors were solid and complete, dropped axle up front. Both Tardell and Winfield felt that the car did not see the flats because of the lack of safety gear that was required to run. Tardell thought the motor was heavily worked and was for a racing application. Neither was willing to step up and say it was a flat raced car. Just that it may have been raced (street or drags). But again with the lack of safety drag racing is questionable. Most likely just a really hot car on the street.

Basically I got the feeling that the owner was trying to get some documentation on the car to generate some buzz for an upsoming sale. It felt like he was trying to attach a "Documented Flat Racer" to a car description to the cars resume. He was trying to make something out of it that it wasn't.

5. Fidget

Fidget

I like the cars, the owner was a goof. The only thing he was basing this on was that the car had a bigger engine in it. It's like me saying that I bought a car with the drivers seat springs broken, and can you see if someone with a big fat ass drove it through the drive-thru 50 years ago? I was hoping for a little more evidence, pictures, timing tags...not just two holes in the dash, rare speed equipment, etc.

I was amazed that he kept the original engine for all these years. Didn't he say he bought the car in the 1950s?

I like that show, but I'm a history buff so that stuff interests me.

6. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I was hoping the researcher guy was going to get all pissed and break some shit and the owner would slack off and stand outside and smoke Winfield would cry because he doesn't get any respect and isn't being challenged enough.
    Oops wrong show, never mind.

7. Ain't that the truth. Shine and Pete should watch this show see that entertainment doesn't have to be a f**kin soap opera to be good. You would swear it's still the same old Boyd show, with some new faces.

8. MattB

MattB

Looks like it comes on at 4am Wednesday morning here in Texas, for anyone interested in a re-run that missed it the first time.

9. MattB

MattB

Make that THURSDAY morning at 4am.

10. Rolf

Rolf

What Bib said...

Sure beats watching the the drama shows, I enjoyed it.

11. Flatman

Flatman

I just saw it this afternoon. Nice car, shoulda kept the other engine in it!!!:confused:
    You'd have thought the investigator would have put a bit more effort into finding the previous owner. A call to DMV and a look in the phone book didn't seem serious. Cool to see Vern Tardel and Gene Winfield gettin' some air time...

Flatman

12. stacks1938

stacks1938

It did not look like the Merc engine had been run since it was rebuilt, so I don't think the story that he took that engine out because it was too powerful was accurate. The owner (who at least knew Packards) was playing games with the show.

Jack

13. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Ya I thought the owner was kind of a tool. I liked the show it was pretty cool but i wish there was some actual evidence to be found like maybe some mysterious picture of the car at the lakes or something it was just kind of dull and didn't get too far before it was undetermined. Winfield is such a cool guy totally reminds me of my grandpa.

14. interesting show , but nothing was revealed that the owner couldn't of found out on his own. i would have like to see them track down the previous owner...they didn't give that much effort , or was he dead?

i think the owner just wanted to give his car a little notoriety

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, considering all the crap that is usually on television, a little hot rod story was a welcome sight.

16. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

We just saw the episode. They recognized the history, that's a good thing.

As for the car and the investigative work, 5 minutes into the show my wife said "all he needs to do is post a picture on the HAMB..."

17. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

It's funny how fast the DMV shut him down.

I still think it would have been worth trying to track down previous owners or relatives. But he gave up on that idea quick.

18. VespaJay

VespaJay

This episode is airing right now on WGBH, Channel 2 in Boston.