Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49 Chevy Fastback Custom: Update #4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Aug 16, 2007.

1. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

that trunk area is gonna suck..... to do i mean.

2. Brian...I really dig the way you actually did finish-work on the floor. Even tho nobody will see it, it's great metalwork practice for the outside bodywork. These cars are tough to chop...takes a lotta forthought and it looks like you're intelligent enough to science it all out to look graceful. That purple 50 fleetline looks right-on IMHO. The proportions are very pleasing to my eye..a great thread! Lessee more!

3. cretin

cretin

that car is gonna be slick as hell. I dig the chop and I agree that you dont need to take any crown out looks great as is

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

This thing is so fabulous I cant contain myself even though I just drove my merc for the first time in 6 years.The A pillars look good as is!

5. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

looks right man that crown is what makes the flow of the car i seen on that they took it out ill post a pic of it..its lookin great man ive started some fillin work on my rear top now its gonna get fun goin down the rear quarters

6. Looks sweet. Are you laying the B's forward? I always think it looks sleeker.

7. bonesy

bonesy

I loved the rear end work.

Then I saw the first shots with the top cut off, I thought big mistake. After seeing the look of the completed chop, I can see I was wrong. Looks perfect.

8. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

The chop looks good. I think your right on the money on the amount taken out.

9. awesome metal work. The flow is perfect.

The trim is going to set the car off as well. What is it from?

10. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

Yeah I know what you mean.
    I definatly didn't think it looked wrong.
    I was really just wondering if it was ever a consideration.

And since you obviosly have thought it through and have a good conceptual idea of what your shooting then I am down. I agree, negative space is always to be considered and is many times more importnat that positive space. Im glad you took the time to think those things through. many people lose sight of that kind of stuff.

I love the car as is. I just didnt know where you were going to bend "tradition" and where you weren't. The frame isn't and some of your solutions to problems are very much in the now. But other things stick true to history.

In the end I think you will have just the right amount of both to really set it off.

11. Bass,
    You're absolutely right about the crown. Traditional all the way and sets off the fastbacks proportions beautifully. The roof looks perfect as it sets and, further, I'd definately try to keep the little c-pillar kick back. It's a nice subtle reminder of the roof's origins and a 'hats off' to the G.M. designers who, in my opinion, got it right the first time. Hell, it's so cool it got reused on the last generation Impss and Montes.

12. Taff

Taff

Fantastic workmanship on what promisies to be a killer car when finished.
    Can't wait for the next set of pics

13. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

wow ! i like it ! :eek:

14. I wasn´t sure about the chop either, but I´m sure it will come out just perfect. Looks good already.

Any thoughts about sectioning the hood, to slightly ease up on the "driving up hill" look?

15. ironworks

ironworks

We are finishing up a 49 fleetline we chopped. We had thought about sectioning the hood the whole time we were working on the top. When we got to the point that was the last thing on the list, the customer and I both were both glad we did not cut the hood. Here is link to a few pics

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=13

I have some more recenet pics if it helps, I will try to post them if your interested.

Your cars looks great.

Rodger

16. rustysconny

rustysconny

Downright inspiring! Thanks for sharing with us!

17. THEKID49

THEKID49

Everything about that car looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep it up.

18. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

nice metal work. rockstar in progress.

19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The wheelwell looks long in the front.Is it extended?The tires fill it beautifully.

20. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

No, it's stock. I like the way the tires fill the wheelwell also....they are super tall 7.10-15 Firestones. They don't help turning radius much, but that's an acceptable compromise for the look. :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

21. Cshabang

Cshabang

looks Killer Brian, as usual...outstanding

22. myke

myke
    from SoCal

23. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Today I cut the driver's side B pillar, cut and hung the driver's side door, tacked the C-pillars, and got the passenger side B-pillar and door frame put back on.

[​IMG]

The chop looks kind of mild from this angle, but in person I think it looks more radical.

24. unreal........if i line my garage with asbestos, will it help me?

25. LBegy

LBegy

Chop looks perfect.......Great Job

26. leftcoast66

leftcoast66
    from Duvall

Incredible work. I love the details on the car. The sheetmetal work is great.

27. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

That's great work! It looks fantastic.

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been watching the post for a while know and I've not been able to reply
    because I've locked up everytime I've opened the post. The fastback is
    dead on kool!! The chop is perfect and I'm glad that you've decided not to
    cut more out of the top. Kan't wait to see it in person someday.

Keep us posted..............

Happy Trails,

Mick

29. bigken

bigken

Damn Bri, that thing is right-on. I thought the original lines were unnbeatble, but hell man, your right on track. That is going to look so slick and sick at the same time.
    Keep up the good work.

30. 53chevy

53chevy

Brian, you definitely have the cat by the tail! I can appreciate the effort, the details and research to make this a true Custom! And by the way, great writing too! Dr. Spellcheck would be so proud. Thanks for sharing.

Ken