Register now to get rid of these ads!

30 yearas ago today...what were you doin'when...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mercmad, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Drawing pictures.....

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I was in art class and I immediately rubbed it into Phil because he was a rocker, rode a 1957 Triumph Thunderbird. He was pissed. We all loved Elvis but punk rock had deemed him, Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP and others as bloated and passe. Secretly I was sad yet it was comical, I mean the King, dying nekkid on the can, ain't no way for a monarch to pass on.

3. Greasy1

Greasy1

I was 2 years young suckin' om my mommas titty

4. I was racing slot cars with my dad that day. I remember it well because the transformer had set my bedroom carpet on fire that evening.

5. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

Heard it on the local R/R station. My wife just stood there looking at me with disbelief (like prolly what I had on my face too.) Went out to tell my mom, who was a big fan. (Bad deal, cause she took it hard.)

6. Jimv

Jimv

Uh... OK!!
    JimV

7. rjgideon

rjgideon

Swimming around with my little tail looking for an egg to invade.

8. I was at work, didn't REALLY bother me as ELVIS died years before.

9. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Pooping my pants, I was one.

10. Al Von

Al Von

I was with my mom and siblings visiting my Grandmother in Parma, OH. I was bored so I was in my mom's '73 Gold Duster [318, snake skin top, fold down backseat] listening to the radio when I heard the news. I wasn't really a fan, but I knew it was a BIG deal. I was 12 and into Sweet and the Cars---anything but disco!

11. Degreaser

Degreaser

I was seven years old and walking around a Rikes department store with my sister. They came across the intercom and announced it. I about shit. I went home and listened to my elvis records, as any decent white boy should have.

12. metalman

metalman

I was working in the local Lincoln dealership painting cars, my buddy pulled up, we were bs and it came across his radio. I went out that night and bought some Elvis LPs, figured they would become collector items. E-bayed them a few weeks ago, bad investment!

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I was sitting in the family room, doing what I don't remember but I was waiting for the folks to come home as they were out buying a new television.

They came home and my dad said that Elvis had died.

14. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I was 11, delivering "Pennysaver" news papers on my "Traditional" bike. ( I was paid 5 cents each to deliver them!)
    (A square frame 24" Schwinn with ancient dried up whitewalls-- BEFORE beach cruisers were in style!)
    I hurried home to tell my parents.

15. ...sanding bondo in my body shop....the news about Elvis came on and we all stopped and felt time stop as well...I had seen him in person at a concert in town about 9 months prior...and he didnt look good then...It was a sad day...

16. alsancle

alsancle

This is one of those events that I do remember exactly where I was (Columbia, 9/11, etc). I was at Derby Downs in Akron OH as a 12 year old getting my car weighed & inspected for the 40th All American Soap Derby Championships that would happen later in the week. Got my clock cleaned in my heat - one and out.

17. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

I was six. I remember my mom starting to cry wen we heard.

18. I was with my Dad in his '65 Falcon. He was taking me to a place that bought and sold hub caps. I had a collection of about 35 or so since my paper route covered 3 sets of rough railroad crossings. I was 13 and didn't really understand that hubbub about Elvis dying. I get it more now since I understand the level that folks loved him but I'm still not a huge fan.

Oh yeah, I think I made about $85 bucks selling the hubcaps.

19. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I was working at RCA Records division in Indy. We would work a lot of overtime in the next year or so. Even tho Elvis always sold well, we were probably shipping double or triple the LPs as before he passed.

20. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i was floating around inside my mommy and daddy... what were they doing? i think they were pretty close to still in their toddler ages...

21. Doc22

Doc22

Yep, mee too.
    50 more years and we can look forward to more of the same...:D

22. Crankhole

Crankhole

23. budd

budd

Elvis is not dead, i saw him in Oak Bay last sunday. and he was singing like he was dead for 30 years to.

24. i was 12, in the backyard, building my self a new wheelie bike with the flake steering wheel. i remember mom coming out to tell me elvis was dead. and i remember saying, "so?" i was heavily into KISS, a few months later my uncle came back from germany and had a album in his collection called "the 101ers" after that my musical life changed, and had i known then what i know now i would have given alot more respect. rest in peace elvis.... say hi to joe for me.

25. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

I was working for an office electronics company about two blocks from Graceland. My first thoughts were Damn traffif is going to be a bitch now. I was right.

26. Ratty

Ratty

There's a bloke works down our chip shop swears he's Elvis ...

27. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I was 1, so...drooling, I would Imagine.

However, 5 years ago, I was getting ready to get married to my Wifey by the nations #1 Elvis Impersonator!!!

Really, though...He looked nothing like him, and I am pretty sure he was gay. Dude could sing, though.

28. Ratty

Ratty

Was it when he kissed the groom ?

29. Talk about broad ends of the spectrum...

30. axle

axle
    from Drag City

They just had a special on TV a couple of weeks before. My dad being a muscian,family being Elvis fans, and rocknroll lovers it stunned everyone.

I will never forget that night when a guy came on TV and said...."I don't care if you're a freak,redneck,young,old....from memphis to Moscow, Elvis will always be the king of rocknroll"