Register now to get rid of these ads!

how in the hell do i lower this on a serious budget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Remove all FOUR coils and remove 1-1/2 coils from each and re install.

2. TERPU

TERPU

Just for a refference point- 1-1/2 coil should get you about 3" of drop. At least that's what I have had experience with. I haven't noticed a ride problem yet. Cutting witht a torch is the easiest way, but if somebody suggests just heating them and letting the weight of the car do it- Step away.

Tim

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

Mr. H,

Like the guys have said, cut a quarter coil at a time tell the ride height is were you want it. One full coil at most beyond that your ride will be too harsh. Have someone who has done this before, there's a lot of tension on coil springs, be very careful. The rear leafs use 21/2 to 3 inch blocks. The easiest way to make blocks is with aluminum and some round head allen bolts. The allen bolts head size should be the same as the hole in the axle pad. Drill hole in the center of the aluminum block and tap it to the tread size of the allen bolt. Drill 1/2 hole on the other side in the center and your ready to go.

Cruiser:cool:

4. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Take Every other leaf out of the rear springs,should be good for 2"-3"

5. SHIPFITTER1955

SHIPFITTER1955
    BANNED
    from wyo

thats the shit right there..

6. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Pep Boys******* 2" Lowering blocks $29.00

Muffler shop***** Heat front coils $10.00

Getting some stink in the backseat of that indian........... Priceless

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

As mentioned, hotchkis and several others make lowering springs for A bodies, I'd try to find a used set for the rear ($50) and cut the fronts with a carbon-rod in your hacksaw. Builds muscle and character.

If that's too high fallutin, do the shifty-in-high-school plan. Get yourself a propane cannister from wal-mart ($8). Point the torch at the spring, sit on sidewalk reading rod & custom ($6) until the car is sitting on the bump stop. Move torch, repeat. Plan to buy lots of bump stops ($4 ea) since that's your new suspension.

8. Torch? WTF! Get a chopsaw. Cut 1 full coil off the front,the bottom of course. Put 4" blocks on the back. Then give it another look. Might have to cut the bumpstops. If you want to go lower up front,only cut 1/2 coils at a time. Remember that it will settle after about a week or two. And ALWAYS get it re-aligned when you're done.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

For the benefit of half the people in this thread

YOU CANT PUT LOWERING BLOCKS ON A 4 LINK WITH COIL SPRINGS!

A BODIES HAVE PIGTAILED REAR COILS SO CUTTING THEM ISNT A GOOD PLAN

Buy rears, cut fronts.

10. you guys all rule. thank you so much for educating me. you ever need any advice on pinstripping just let me know. also im one hell of a picture framer. i love the hamb. who would have thought a place like this existed.

11. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

12. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

if that is a pont tempest it would be the first one i ever saw with rear leaf springs.maybe its a canadian whatever.

13. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

He says leaf's.

I thought they were all coils also. My 66 Lemans had coils all way round. I bough the new, 3 inch lower springs. Worked like a champ but this cat's looking for dirt cheap I believe.

I'm assuming serious budget means little or no money. I guess it could be the other??

14. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon

sorry to use your thread for my purpose, but i have a question sorta related... is it a bad idea to take out the overload leaf to lower the rear?

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Sorry to be a dick, but your car doesn't have leafs in the rear unless it's been redneck backhalved. All A bodies. 2 door, 4 door, wagon, elcamino had a 4 link with coils. Every year of manufacture 1964 thru discontinuation of the RWD midsize platform in 88 (renamed G body after 81). Every one. And they were all pigtailed and problematic to cut.

If you can post a picture of the rear leafs, I will apologize profusely.

good luck with the project

16. Rear blocks are available at most parts stores for about 30 bucks. You can cut the front springs with a grinder with a cutoff wheel.

17. hambnbeans

hambnbeans
    BANNED
    from wyoming

Coils or leafs, hold the torch to them bitches and watch it drop. Know it all fuckers, the dude wants cheap.

18. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

there pigtail at the bottom in the rear, just cut a coil off the top on my buddys 65 chevelle.

19. TJsSS

TJsSS

20. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

I agree. start with a little and go from there. you can cut em with a torch, but a die grinder or sawzaw would work also.

21. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

he wan't cheap but i doubt he wants a crappy ride with it. my friend bought an impala that was heated all around to lower it and it rides horrible. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain".

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

If you're gonna cut coils, start with one turn. It's too much work to fuck around with for 1/2 or 3/4 of a coil.

23. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

You can heat a coil or two in the front and it'll still ride pretty well. And you don't have to take it a apart.

And it's dirt cheap.

I'm cheap. I'd know.

The back should be springs, they're easy to get out. Cut a coil from the top, put it back in and wait a couple weeks before you cut any more. You're gonna want airshocks in the back because it's a 4-door and also you can fit about four bodies in the trunk.

The whole operation should be under 250 bucks, airshocks and all.

Sweet ride.