Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the Heck is this??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Aug 8, 2007.

1. jpmopar

jpmopar
    from Virginia

Maybe its a 1951 Hunt. This bad pic is the only image of the Hunt I could find online. The '51 Hunt was a three-wheeler that originally was designed with an airplane type tail-section. There's more about the car (and another photo of the car minus the body) in the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-75, page 701. According to the catalog, "Hunt stuck to automotive basics in a technical sense, since his three-wheeled chassis was made of pieces pirated from ten other cars. Yet the components were assemblied in an unconventional way. Parts were scavenged from wrecking yards and included a 1925 Buick engine with the two middle cylinders cut out to make it a Four. Pistons came from an Auburn; rods from a Hupmobile; brakes from a Ford; transmission from a Chevy; distributor from a Plymouth and radiator from a Dodge. The third wheel, at the rear, steered the car, via cables linked to a Chrysler steering wheel. All this was mounted, in front-drive fashion, upon a square, channel-iron frame. The body that Hunt envisioned as clearly aircraft-inspired and was actually intended for mounting on a larger version of the vehicle".

"Chassis features: Wheelbase: 131 inches, Front Tread: 66 inches. Square, channel-iron frame. Ford mechanical brakes. Single tail wheel mounted in circular steel plate rotated by cable steering system. The wheel rode against roller bearings and could turn 80 degrees left or right. Airplane type shock aborbers."

"Plans called for a four-door body with plastic dome or bubble-top and a large, rear dorsal fin incorporating a rudder that would take over steering control. Square headlamps and a full-width, wraparound bumper were other projected features".

Only the prototype was ever built. Maybe the state-of-the-art body was never realized, so a body was assemblied (like the running gear) from various junkyard pieces.

Probably not it, but then again there weren't many three-wheelers originally produced with airplane tail-sections...

Attached Files:

2. Very cool post,but greater responses! I'm still laughing my ass off. Somebody get this thing running and call me.Oh wait,I have to grab a twelver' before you start the backwards donuts!

3. Corvette64

Corvette64

I think you're right. This could be an early AeroCar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerocar_Aerocar

Found note of an agreement with an inventor and Ling Tempco Vought (Vought Aircraft of Dallas) talking about if the inventor could get orders for 500 of them Vought would build it. He only got 250 orders.

Look at the way the top of the steering wheel is cut off. Turns left and right and back and forward only. Also note that the rt hand side of the front bumper has a step on it for getting into the cockpit. All the parts that appear to have rotted away are probably the wings and fuselage. The thing belongs in a museum and is probably worth millions.

4. Stovebolt 6

Stovebolt 6

Hmmm.... something like that?

[​IMG]

It´s way cool. Imagine a full Streamline body and an Merlin or Allison engine in the middle.

5. Shock72

Shock72

6. Stovebolt 6

Stovebolt 6

That explains the dog under the tree.

7. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Over 8,00 views and counting with no real good answer. I think our pal Chaddilac has indeed "stumped the chumps".

9. AHHHH CHRIST! I cant breathe! LOL!

10. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Three wheeled mystery vehicles, prince's tounge, and Fish-cycles...
    cool...what are we talking about again? HaHa!
    I see that Citroen was manufacturing some three wheeled vehicles back in the day, too...I came across a few pics, and an article.
    It had a very similar bonnet/ snap arrangement, presumably for canvas/material of some type...??? who knows.

11. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Certainlly been a fun way to spend Sun pm:cool:

'Cept for the pix of that dude sticking out his tongue.:confused: :rolleyes:

12. If you can get "IT", bring IT to the H.A.M.B. Drags.

13. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

fiddy six you breathing yet?

14. Fidget

Fidget

If the combined knowledge of this bbs can't figure it out, it's probably homemade.

I think Chaddilac deserves a prize for this, like a free HAMB subscription! :D

15. I think I've seen it in the movie "Sleeper", but it's been a long time since I watched it.

Attached Files:

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow, no one has figured it out yet?

Thanks Fidget, I'll take it if it's being passed out!!

17. Toqwik

Toqwik

Definately 41 Chevy front fenders, you can see where the chrome spears mount on top. My guess is a airprt tow motor someone was modifing into a Clark Griswald family truckster......

18. Joan Rivers before any plastic surgery.

19. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

it really does look like a old carnival ride thing... i say paint it polka dotted and let kids ride it for a nickle... everyone wins!

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

Crazy I don't even own this thing and I've got two people that want to buy it from me! wow!

21. I bet it was in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 2, but nobody has watched the whole film, so we may never know.

Attached Files:

• hang.jpg
      hang.jpg
      File size:
      48.1 KB
      Views:
  22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, Mad Max, Mad Max II and Beyond Thunderome, No Thunderdome II, Yup that last one sucked real bad, get rid of the XB and its all down hill.............
    Didnt Angry drive it?

23. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

There's been many guesses on the front fenders - here's mine!
    Pierce-Arrow.

I've been emailing pix of this thing all over and nobody has a clue about it. Quite the automotive mystery!

24. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

If it turns out to be a one-of-a-kind, does that mean that now, 176 posts later, it has become priceless?
    is this how that happens?

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

DirtyThirty, this is already priceless... If someone pulled up with this at a show, everyone would be gawkin and scrathin their heads!!

26. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

You really need to hornswaggle the owner into letting you buy it, and get the bidding started! :D

crap...I hope he isn't reading this...

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

hahahaha... I've already had two people ask to buy it from me!!!

28. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Easy.

It's the "Oscar Meyer Vagina" mobile. The hump on the back is supposed to be the "man on the boat".

Don't waste my time.

29. loosks like the top to a hovercraft or somethiing