Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT or not: Throw in the towel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rab71, Aug 6, 2007.

1. rab71

rab71

You guys remember your first hot rod? I mean the one you decided to build from scratch... You have a pile o' parts and some metal and buy a book or two then dive in. You get sooo far it looks cool then you find out you've made some mistakes that may be harder to fix than you could handle...

Yeah, I'm refering to me... I know I'm new here, I'm not dumb and I am pretty good at building stuff. But over the weekend while I stared at my truck thinking about some of the stuff I've done with this project such as the rack and pinion, and the 55' ford axle converted to cross spring setup from dual leaf... My front spring setup is just pssing me off... The only way to make this work is to completely tear it apart and redo it in my opinion... I have nobody around that has done this before so I can't have someone look at it either. Okay maybe I am just frustrated and the fact that I have another project I'd rather be working on but can't afford both...

So how do you decide whether to take your losses or just plug away at it? Hey thanks for listening, send me the bill...:eek:
    Here is a bunch of pics to go through...
    http://www.putfile.com/rab71/images/23747

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You state that you have another project that you would rather work on, but can't afford both.
    Sounds like you need to work on the one you enjoy and sell or part-out the other unfinished one.
    Simple! Go where you are happy. Get rid of the grief...

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

4. Dr_X

Dr_X

rab71 in your profile you only list Wisconsin as your home, there are a lot of us Cheeseheads here on the HAMB. If you needed some advise or a hand with something I bet there is a HAMB'er within easy driving distance that'd help you out. I also don't have anything other than a pile of parts waiting to become something. If you're near Kenosha get back to me, I'll help if I can.

5. I agree,,,you have some cool ideas but you really do need to get some help with the welding,,,everybody has to learn and you learn by practice but someone to help if your over your head,,,

Stick with it,,,it will be a cool truck,,HRP

6. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Start over! That frame looks a little questionable. Don't use schedule 60 pipe for anything in a car. :( Never use it for frame work. It appears that you're using a 110 volt stick welder. STOP!!! Those welds will never hold. Extremely dangerous to even think of taking that on the road. I hope you're not planning to drive with your kid in it. -stick

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes the best learning/advancment,comes from a mess of miostakes. redo,shmedo, you are learning. Get some friends together, that have been there to help you,the rest will come ,and the end result will be that much better.

8. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I'd stick with it. That's a pretty damned cool truck. Yeah, maybe a little help with the welds in the important places. I've gone through thinking maybe I should have done something different after I'd built it. I think we all do. If it's running and safely on the road, enjoy if for a bit, work the bugs out, finding most all of them, then know for certain what you just can't live with. Blow it apart, fix what needs fixing with confidence.

9. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

we all need to start over once in a while. not every thing works out right the first time. building a hot rod from scratch is a learn as you go thing. walk away for a while then come back to it and start over. a lot of great cars get built that way!

10. crapshoot

crapshoot

keep with it, what is pissing you off about the front end whats up with it,there's alot of front end guru's in here that can help

11. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

please take this as a heads up, not a slating, but-
    that frame and front suspension is a total deathtrap. i wouldn't drive it up and down my lane let alone on the road.

you need to try some evening classes or something to up your welding skills. the stuff on there is scary, a couple of good swings with a lump hammer and it would all be in pieces. and you appear to be using a cheapo stick welder= no good for what you're trying to do.

4-bar heims in single sheer is bad. the brackets welded to the axle that the heims bolt to are also greatly insufficient, although id say you got someone else to weld them on looking at the welds on them compared to the rest of the welds on the car.

your rear shocks shouldn't slope back at an angle. they should slope out at an angle, but not backwards.

your K member is made of tube thats too thin, and the pipe wall is too thin as well. it'll twist like a pretzel first time you drive it.

your spring shackles are set up too flat, in other words your front perches are too far apart. they should sit at 45deg. when weighted. id also wager your spring is too heavy for the weight on it with a stack of leafs that high.

i not having a go, but you say youve got no-one to learn from locally, so i suppose its best SOMEONE tells you rather than you finding out the hard way and hurting yourself or others.
    i think your ideas are good, its your execution youre having problems with....

12. Tdreamer

Tdreamer

you bought the t roadster I wanted to buy, i say you build that and sell off the truck

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

How else have we all LEARNED? This board and you are the reason we are here!....If it does not feel SAFE do not do it....If you think you are on the WRONG TRACK get some HELP by someone that knows....you have the PASSION but are lacking in skills. I would NEVER GIVE UP!

14. crapshoot

crapshoot

hey rab where do you live in wisc, theres gotta be someone near by thats handy with a mig , don't cop out yet, if live close i will help ya

15. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

never give up! try, try again, thats how you learn! however, that being said: The frame is scary...learn, improve, look back and laugh...but: don't gamble with safety. ask a thousand questions...to a THOUSAND different people, compare answers...look at other vehicles...CLOSELY! not just the cursory, appearance stuff, but REALLY look...try to determine what is going on, and why. Ask people whose cars have proven to sock away the miles...it is obviuosly working, then, yes? not "trailered" cars...'cuz sometimes these look awesome...but maybe that is all they are for. and finally this message board is a fantastic source of info, but live, in-person help...cannot be beat! even if you have folks near you that build trucks, dune buggies, race cars...whatever, not "hot rods"...keep your asthetics in mind, but allow their knowledge, and understanding to be applied. don't give up.

16. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

I would really listen to these guys Rab, Alot are professional builders and know their stuff. That being said ten to one some one on this board lives close to you and will help. but don't give up yet

17. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

dont ever throw in the towel on your FIRST hot rod!!!,BELIVE me,,im only 33,,but have been fucking with my own cars(not including my dads!) since i was going on 15)....they only get HARDER! yes!(well,if you actually do your own work that is...!:D)

18. rab71

rab71

Hey thanks guys, I notice a lot of concern with my welds. Most of those pictures are very early on in the project when Iwas using a 220 arc welder. I have since redone my welds with a nice 220 MIG, and those are much better.

Oh, and I live just outside Verona on the Madison side. Near M off of PD actually. Used I grew up in Sun Prairie but moved here a few years ago.

Anyway last night when I got home instead of sitting on my ars feeling sorry for myself, I decided I didn't like my front suspension and cut it apart so I can redo it. I am going to start completely over. I have a really nice 35' axle with spring and wishbones. I am going to transfer my F100 brakes to those spindles and use that. I will either save the radius rods for another project or sell them. Iwas in a big hurry before trying to get it done before Good Guys on the 17th, 18th and 19th but have since given that up. There is NO way I will finish it...

I also decided I didn't like the tilt front end and cut that off... I may remove the flames from th hood as well. I am really not that concerned with the welds on the frame itself or the K member. The pipe is actually an 1/8th inch thick wall.

As for th rear suspension and such, I am pretty sure I am going to cut that apart and redo that as well. I think I am going to switch to coil springs and change how my shocks are mounted.

I'd like to thank you guys for your reponses on this and not tearing me apart I appreciate all your help and constructive critisms. I am very open to any help provided and respect your opinions.

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i started out with this a few years ago
    [​IMG]
    first i cut the top...
    [​IMG]
    but i wanted a roadster!!!!!
    and i ended up with this monstrosity
    [​IMG]
    i pushed this car aside...stole some pieces and moved on and built what i wanted
    [​IMG]
    finally i decided to cut my losses on car #1 and make the best i could out of it...so i built a nose, hood belly pan etc....prettied it up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i sold the car as-is and let someone else finish it
    i came to the conclusion that I was never going to be 100% happy with it....so i let it go
    i rebuilt the back of the frame 3 times and the front twice....had the body down to every single pannel and changed the proportions drastically...only to in the end wish it was something it would never be
    so i cut my losses and let it go
    I'd say...if your not happy with it...your never gona be happy with it
    now if its just a quality issue...then that can be improved....but wanting to work on something else....thats a tough one....
    either set it aside....or unload it
    good luck in any case
    Zach

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

sorry for the big pics

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You have passion man! That cannot be taught! So what? you're lacking some skills, but they will come with time and exprience, which you're getting lots of right now. ALL of us have screwed stuff up, blown up motors for dumb mistakes, built stuff half-assed because at the time we didn't know any better. NOBODY pops out of the womb able to weld, machine, fabricate and assemble hot rods and customs. But you're asking questions and making a genuine effort to build the best car you can with the resources you have, which is commendable.

You said you have two projects. If the current project is getting too frustrating, step away from it for a while, but don't sell it. Sometimes you just need a break from it. Work on the other car for a while, then come back to it when the inspiration strikes.

I've had my '57 Ford for over 5 years, and in April '04 the 2nd motor blew up. I replaced the motor with what was supposed to be a good used motor, which also didn't run right. I was sooooooo pissed I wanted to sell the car, but I knew I'd regret it down the line. So I put the car in the garage and it sat there until 3 weeks ago. Inspiration struck, and in 36 hours I removed, dissassembled, rebuilt and reinstalled the motor. Got it running at 1:30 AM and at noon drove it to the Road Agent's Rumble in CT. These past few weeks I've been driving the piss out of it and I feel like I'm 17 again and this is my new custom.

22. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Stick with it. Cut it up and re-design some parts as you learn more about what works and what doesn't. Just be patient, and keep at it. If your up by Green Bay ive got plenty to check out, and Ill help you out if I can.

Later, ROB

23. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

The light at the end of tunnel can get awful dim sometimes... and it can get REALLY dim when you have two projects and not enough time or money for even one of them. Decide what you wanna do, come up with a plan and stick to it. If you don't do that, you will never be happy with what you are doing or where the project is going. Ya gotta have a goal, mang!

24. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Rab, you're my new hero!! You don't give up. That's half the battle right there. I have more "projects" than I need. That's the reason they never get done. Keep at it. You've inspired me to get off my ass. Thanks -'stick

25. dizzamn! I'm building almost the same thing! your a little farther along than I though.
    My front end is also a chevy straight axle that I am converting to single leaf up front. I am using the stock 40 chebbie steering box and will have the steering done soon.

26. rab71

rab71

You guys are the best thanks for the "Buck little camper" type of inspiration.

Hey turboroadster I used the dual leaf setup because I wanted to save the 35' axle for another project in the future. I really wanted some sort of a roadster, which is what is waiting in the wings.

Anyway, the rolling chassis I bought (for the future roadster that I now have waiting) has a good axle with disc brakes and such. So now I am thinking I am going to use that 35' axle with the 55' f100 brakes on the truck. I will split the wishbones, and I am going to redo my thoughts on steering. I felt that a rack and pinion would be easier to set up that a steering box. Well it is in there and it does work, as far as turning the steering wheel and the truck steers left and right but I am not convinced it is my best method. I know this has been discussed MANY times on the HAMB, I looked it up.:D The search feature works well here but I could use somebody to come over and slap me in the head and ask me what the heck I was thinking on some of this stuff:rolleyes:

27. rab71

rab71

The truck is for sale with the title. I stared at it some more last night for a long time and decided I really wanted to build a roadster. The 26T roadster I bought. It's a bummer because of all the time and work I have into it but at the same time I will never be truly happy with the truck.

Better to take my losses now I guess than after I dump thousands more into it and I am still unhappy... Thanks guys for all you input and support.