Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wall St Journal reports on "electric" drag cars beating "gassers"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stevez, Aug 1, 2007.

1. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

What about a transmission that could fit behind a v8 that could both:
    a) charge the battery when the accelerator is not being pushed (as when coasting)
    b) act as a motor when the accelerator is being pushed?

that way any older American iron could become a hybrid, but without the neighbors finding out.

2. Start scrounging the yards for wrecked Hondas and steel the electric drive that goes between the engine and tranny. then figure out how the computer makes it so what it needs to. Probably easy enough with a few micro switches. Wire the regen up the same as an exhaust brake on a diesel.

3. draggin breath

draggin breath

Back in the '60's a electric car showed up at the strip in Geneva,Florida.It ran off a generator that sat by the starting line and the car drug an extension cord down the 1/4.It outran everything there,including several blown rails. I wonder if this was EJ ?

4. tortmanus

tortmanus

Although the electric car is fast, what about the sound? I love the loud noise of a combustion engine with glass packs or lake pipes. I also love the smell of an old car, i.e. a mixture of gas and oil. An electric car has no noise or will smell like an old car.

5. 61 chevy

61 chevy

it will be a sad day when you dont hear a v 8 on the staring line, or any conbustable engine:(

6. Oh, don't worry about that...apparently some Deafness Foundations have complained about electirc cars being so quiet so they're suggesting that some kind of noise be added to aid hearing-impaired people to hear them coming.......anyone got a blown hemi as an MP3 file?

And long-range Nano-safe batteries are in line to go into production in the Lightning Car Co's "GTSE" which should run 250miles and recharge in 10 minutes. I could travel for over a fortnight on that....and never have to stop at a petrol station again!

The weak link in electric cars seems to be the batteries, in range, recharging time and production suitability.

7. thrasher

thrasher

The night White Zombie beat the Corvette, it also trounced two other "gassers," as Mr. Wayland calls them -- a blue BMW and a bright orange 1964 Pontiac Tempest.
    i love how every car at the track suddenly becomes a gasser

8. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Compare the life of those batteries to the same money spent in fuel. I'd love to only use $1,800 every 2-3 years.

9. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I think thats just his way of refering, derogatively, to any car that consumes "gasoline"

I should think the race would have ended a bit differently had it been an actual, dedicated race car, "gasser"...it was most likely "street night".

10. Chevello

Chevello
    from Delco, PA

Don't worry about the sound, think of the kickass stereo you could install with all that power available! You could play any sound you want from a Ferrari V-10 F1 car to the ols split manifolds on that Jimmy Six.

Or imagine coming to the line sounding like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, then when the prestage lamps light it switches to a Big Chief sound :)

K

11. Heck, pull up to the line sounding like Johnny Riceboy and then turn on the paint shaker and the Cacklefest soundtrack.

12. james

james

I hate to admit it, but I was flipping channels and stumbled onto "pimp my ride" and they added some little machine to a minivan and the machine had a bunch of different car sounds programmed into it....such as viper, ferrari, cuda', etc. It synched with the car's rpm's and played outside the car, so when she revved it up it sounded like whatever car you picked on the screen. Kinda dorky, but could really change the attitude of an electric car.

13. DashEight

DashEight
    from Seattle WA

14. whitewallslick

whitewallslick
    1. oHIo

Not sure how old you are, but tire driven generators powering head & tail lights were common on bicycles when I was younger. I bet that patent has been on the books for a looooooong time.

15. supernerdio

supernerdio
    from seattle

16. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

When he dropped the bracket and started burning up things,what's wrong with a master disconnect? bull shit story.