Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 390 flywheel questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54BOMB, Jul 28, 2007.

1. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Today the car wouldnt start, I could hear the starter spinning but it wasnt cranking over, I removed the starter and found the gear ring around the flywheel had come off. Ive not taken one of these apart so I dont know if its as easy as a new flywheel or if there is something else thats happened. Any one know any more about how these flywheels are made? 64 galaxie , 3 speed on the tree. thanks

2. 64gal

64gal

Check with Napa or other parts house,the ring gear should be available.If the wheel is not damaged you[or a machine shop] can install a new ringgear.Heat the gear in a oven and cool the wheel in the fridge,quickly set the wheel on pre arranged blocks and drop the gear on.Wear leather gloves.You'll have about a second to make sure its seated before it cools/shrinks tight,and thats it.I allways have mine resurfaced after installing a new ringgear.Be aware that 1964 and earlier used a different flywheel,starter and bellhousing.The early starter has a big spring that protrudes into the bellhousing.Good luck.

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

never seen one come off of a stock flywheel by itself. had poorly seated rings come off of aluminum flywheels before. just had to sweat it back on and then drilled and tapped some allen set screws at the joining line..
    btw no need to chill the flywheel.. get a new ring gear ( i'm betting the old one is junk) and just fire up the rosebud and heat the ring all the way around.. hold it with some visegrips ...keep heating it and it will grow enough to fall on the flywheel.
    tip for the day... examine the old gear closely and you will see one side of the teeth have a bevel cut.. that is the side that the starter drive needs to come in on..if your car has the long shaft starter the bevel needs to face the trans,, short shaft bevel towards the front ...
    good luck
    dave :D

4. bohlsd

bohlsd

Shouldn't be too hard to find another flywheel for a 390. Most any FE will fit except 428 which is externally balanced.

5. kustomkat

kustomkat

Never seen a ring gear come off. But, putting a new one on is not too much of a problem.

6. 54BOMB

54BOMB

The car is stuck at work and I want to try and get it done in one after noon next saturday, I cant tie up a lift by taking it all apart and then waiting for parts, I was just seeing if anyone had any tips on why it would happen or if there is more problems to be expeced. Im going to try and get a new flywheel and ring ready to make it as quick a process as I can. Its kinda a weird thing to have happen.